Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

External HDD Issue

ImperiaMuCMS CEO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hello,

few days ago something happened to one of my external HDD and I am not able to access it anymore. I was trying it on Windows PC, Mac, TV - they don't see it. However, I can see it in Device Management on Windows but not in Disk Manager. When I plug-in HDD into PC and turn it on, it will not start. Also I was trying to check it in BIOS if I will see my disk there, but when I plug-in HDD to PC, BIOS's UI freeze. After I plug-off HDD from PC, BIOS's UI is working again.

I am wondering if someone had similar issue and can share ideas how to get data from it. I really hope someone can help me. Thank you :):

Put Community First
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Wonder if it's got some bad sectors on it, have you run a chkdsk on that drive to see if it'll run? Also, just because sometimes Windows breaks because of stupid things, try changing which USB port you plug it into, if you have a spare PC check if it is accessible in that other PC.

ImperiaMuCMS CEO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Disk is not being recognised by cmd so I am not able to do anything with it from cmd. I was also trying to download Seagate Diagnostics tool and it's not loading when disk is plugged-in in PC. I tried to plug-in into another USB port and also on Macbook and TV, they cannot recognise it.

Put Community First
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Since it's appearing in Disk Management are you able to right-click it and give it a different drive letter? If that works, even if it doesn't appear in My Computer you can try to access it via Windows Explorer or a web browser by typing in the drive, for example E:/ and it should list a directory.

Also, you should be able to right-click it in Disk Management and click Properties -> Tools, then click the Check button to check for errors and see if that will function. Windows can then try to repair anything it finds to be broken.

Otherwise, also in Properties to into Hardware and see if the drive appears there, if it does click it then click the Properties button in the bottom-right of the window and then go to the Driver tab and see if you can update the driver.

That's all I can think of, sorry. Give those a go and hopefully we'll get somewhere :).

ImperiaMuCMS CEO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Since it's appearing in Disk Management are you able to right-click it and give it a different drive letter? If that works, even if it doesn't appear in My Computer you can try to access it via Windows Explorer or a web browser by typing in the drive, for example E:/ and it should list a directory.

Also, you should be able to right-click it in Disk Management and click Properties -> Tools, then click the Check button to check for errors and see if that will function. Windows can then try to repair anything it finds to be broken.

Otherwise, also in Properties to into Hardware and see if the drive appears there, if it does click it then click the Properties button in the bottom-right of the window and then go to the Driver tab and see if you can update the driver.

That's all I can think of, sorry. Give those a go and hopefully we'll get somewhere :).

It's not appearing in Disk Manager, only in Device Management. In Device Management is written, that device is working properly, but obviously it's not :laugh: Also I was trying to update driver, but Windows told me, that I have latest driver.

Put Community First
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Oh sorry, when you said Device Management I thought Disk Management as the device one is Device Manager. Not sure what else to try unfortunately.

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
This sounds odd, but I have had this diagnosis several times with work.. and I may have a fix for you.

Try disabling your virus protection, there seems to be more and more recurring issues where you can plug the external in and it will see the drive as being there, but it will not allow you to access it. Every time this has happened in the last 2 years or so I usually fixed it by disabling virus protection. It seems a bad file, considers the entire USB as bad and blocks it from being accessed.

Yes, it sounds odd.. but give it a try and let me know how it goes.

ImperiaMuCMS CEO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
This sounds odd, but I have had this diagnosis several times with work.. and I may have a fix for you.

Try disabling your virus protection, there seems to be more and more recurring issues where you can plug the external in and it will see the drive as being there, but it will not allow you to access it. Every time this has happened in the last 2 years or so I usually fixed it by disabling virus protection. It seems a bad file, considers the entire USB as bad and blocks it from being accessed.

Yes, it sounds odd.. but give it a try and let me know how it goes.

I tried it on Windows PC where I have Kaspersky, but also on Mac where isn't any antivirus protection, also on SmartTV, it didn't work so I guess it's not caused by antivirus.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
is this disk spinning? does it make any sounds, it shines?

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You can check if hirens boot cd see this hdd and look for bad sectors

Back