Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Sandurr's SMD Converter!

Reaction score
Originally from:

Free open source public tools for the creative members! Create your own Custom Content that we hope to see in the future!

The tools are available to everyone who is interested in this stuff, regular players do not need to know about any of this ofcourse ;)

Feel free to use as you like. Show off your creations in this board section when you have something. And perhaps in the future we can work together on new content!

SMD READER (By Sandurr)

SMD Reader:
[/URL]
SMD Reader Source Code:

This tool reads the .smd file and translates it into .ase file. Which can be used for further edits.

The tool can read all smd files. Stage, models, animated models and boned models.

A few bugs:
- Mapping Channel export is wrong, So for some maps that use Mapping Channel, like dungeons, the textures are not properly imported.
- Lights objects positions exports are wrong, I guess wrongly imported, didn't look much into it further yet
- Sometimes the TVERT block seems to get bugged (non-stage smds)
You can fix these bugs if you want by downloading the source code and write your upgrade, and let us know ;)

3DS MAX ASE Importer Extended PLUGIN (Extended by Sandurr)

ASE Imp:
ASE Imp Source Code:
Compatible with 3DS MAX 6 and 7. With this plugin you can open .ase files into 3DS MAX for editing

This extended version of the importer supports these extra features:

* - Fixes MATERIAL_TWOSIDED bugged import
* - Fixes MATERIAL_TRANSPARENCY bugged import
* - Added bugged Physique import.. see source if you wish to fix this (Physique is only used in monsters/characters/NPCs)

3DS MAX ASE Exporter Extended PLUGIN (Extended by Sandurr)

ASE Exp:
ASE Exp Source Code:
Compatible with 3DS MAX 6 and 7. With this plugin you can save .ase files from 3DS MAX to use in-game

This extended version of the exporter supports these extra features:

* - Supports Export of PHYSIQUE block (Physique is only used in monsters/characters/NPCs)

The tools come as-is with no warranty of any kind. Use of the tools is at your own risk and responsibility.

Here's a long overdue update for this.

Updated ASE import plugin for 3Ds Max 2012 (32bit only):
Mirror 1:
New updated SMD to ASE converter v0.980:
Mirror 1:

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Thank you sungam3d. I have also visited the source site, and thanked Sandurr in person... I hope we can all do him this courtesy. :wink:

I was starting on this, and his source will save so much time. It is also one of the *most* commonly asked for tools for which nothing has been available, until now.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
this smd converter doesnt work at all...even once i did figure out how to use it properly..all it did was spew out corrupt and unseuseable ase files

Reaction score
this smd converter doesnt work at all...even once i did figure out how to use it properly..all it did was spew out corrupt and unseuseable ase files

??? wtf??? That is what this program was designed to do.
Convert smd to readable ase format.

Learn how to open an ase... Or read the whole post and find ase importers and exporters for 3ds max...

Before you start calling the best modification program ever released for PT useless, learn how to use it.

Thanks.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Additionally note that the SMD format has changed over the years.

Sandurr notes that there are some bugs, and you need to clean the output plain text (ASE) file before using it, or help him fix the bugs... since he has been generous enough to share his complete source code with us. ^^

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
lol...sunnyz,you should know me well enough by now to know that i dont ever try things with a delicate touch...its like "i prefer cleaning windows with a sledgehammer"

:/ i assume inventing new mod tools for pt must be like mixing nitro glycerin and cat poison...the reason for the bugs maybe....

and another thing is..if everyone everywhere learned how to use things before they started complaining about them...then pt wouldve been bug free in the first place

so how would i go about cleaning the file?(i wanted to find a premade darth revan mesh that i could upload to replace the archon mobe model...i infact found several but they were in odd formats like pk3,then i renamed the pk3 to .zip,opened it with winrar,,,and then found out that the model files were in "gml" format....and iv`e yet to find something that can take care of that)

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
:/ i assume inventing new mod tools for pt must be like mixing nitro glycerin and cat poison...the reason for the bugs maybe....
More like reverse engineering a plasma rifle when you'd only just discovered gun powder TBH. Anyway, WTH invents a poison for Cats? Go on, just kill GOD while you're at it eh?
According to Ancient Egyptian mythology Cats are the carriers for the spirit of the gods.
I'm *very* fond of my cats.:p: (of course, I say *my* cat's, I mean that in the way a slave refers to *his* master :wink:)
and another thing is..if everyone everywhere learned how to use things before they started complaining about them...then pt wouldve been bug free in the first place
Before people mess with it, most official releases have less "bugs" than *any* release of Microsoft Office or Windows. (larger projects expect to find more bugs) What do you want? Perfection?:lol:
so how would i go about cleaning the file?(i wanted to find a premade darth revan mesh that i could upload to replace the archon mobe model...i infact found several but they were in odd formats like pk3,then i renamed the pk3 to .zip,opened it with winrar,,,and then found out that the model files were in "gml" format....and iv`e yet to find something that can take care of that)
There is a single Mesh for Revan? I thought the history books couldn't even tell us Revans' gender... only that "it" was the first person to become both Jedi, and Sith at the same time. Mastering both passion and conscientious detachment.

Anyway... unzipping a pk3 file is a bad idea... because there are many tools which will read pk3 files (see ) and almost nothing that can read the files inside a pk3, unless you zip them back up and rename the zip to a pk3. :?:

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
X.X i tryed assimp to read the pk3 file but it refused the file

also...what specifically do i need to hex in game.exe to remove the rankup headgear....

the thing is..i havent managed to manipulate anything to the extent i need regarding the rankup headgear...i just want to obliterate the rankup headgear..or make it invisible...ive vaped the forehead peice..the white part of it...but i cant vape the .bmp file graphics (filename:mfhc02c_tie.bmp),oh i can change the color and texture alright....

ive already converted mfhc02c_tie.bmp into a tga file which i have fully ready...but the problem is i cant get the client to load the .tga file i made...hexing mfhc02c.smd worked fine,meaning no errors,but it didnt read the .tga file when i hexed the .bmp portion to .tga

and yes i did run hex editor on game.exe and searched for "mfhc02c_tie.bmp" but i didnt find anything at all using the inbuilt search function

the only thing i can think of is that there must be a file beyond mfhc02c.smd that is telling the client to use mfhc02c_tie.bmp....i need to know which file or files it is so i can hex the .bmp portion to .tga

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Great release indeed. I hope it will push people to create new content for PT.
It will not open SMB right? rPT/uPT probably have it too, but I wonder how T5 skills that they where creating are doing?
Time to create something to thank Sandurr :thumbup:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Great release indeed. I hope it will push people to create new content for PT.
It will not open SMB right? rPT/uPT probably have it too, but I wonder how T5 skills that they where creating are doing?
Time to create something to thank Sandurr :thumbup:

.SMD = The model
.SMB = The animations

It can also open the animations ;)
When you convert the .SMD, it will also convert the belonging .SMB(s) , and assemble it all in one file (an .Ase).

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
what the..no wonder it wasnt working...anyone mind telling me where the smb files for mfhc02c.bmp are?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
what the..no wonder it wasnt working...anyone mind telling me where the smb files for mfhc02c.bmp are?
lol, try to learn using it before complaining the hell out.

I doubt mfhc02c.bmp has a smb file, because the mfhc02c.bmp is the texture of a head model, I believe it has a smd.
Hint: check out the inx

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
-.- i did that...eh...do you sir perhaps know what i need to do to remove the prs rankup headgear for original hairstyle b? (not interested in modding a or c default hairstyle headgear)

im needing to know which file i need to use to copy over which other files

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
BMPs don't have animations. ASE have meshes, materials (diffuse maps, opacity maps, colours, reflectivity) and "frames". (which equates to animations)

SMD contains pointers to the SMB files it uses... but, bodies and heads are different, because the same animation is applied to the bones (bips) for several characters heads and bodies. (hair tints and armour and so on)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
hey bob do you happen to have a link to a good .ase importer for 3ds max 8 that wont explode on me?

cause my browser tells me the link sunnyz provided is broken

and also bob,when you have time...could you pwetty pwease fix the code bug in the smd to ase converter so my biturn and 3ds max 8 programs wont explode when they try to upload anything sandurr`s smd converter creates?

(also another request is,where the heck are the image files for divine lightning stored?i found the oens for multispark and altered those so multispark is now a navy blue color instead of off white...but for the life of me i cant find where the divine lightning images are stored)

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
\Effect\AssaEffect\Skill3Texture\light3_01.bmp through light3_04.bmp I would guess.

They look about right anyway.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm not reposting the links, as I've now checked every single one of them works fine, and they can't be any worse than the asciiImport plugin I have for Max8 which always fails to load because no matter where I put the VC7 runtime libraries it can't find them.

Back