Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Why do you guys think people stopped contributing here?

Interesting...
Loyal Member
Reaction score
When people say "share", they usually mean public sharing.

Agreed, they mean public sharing, however, don't forget the people who happily explain that sharing exists but only in private are only in this community to make profit and nothing else. They couldn't give two shits about advancing the community in any way so long as it has an even remote chance at impacting their bottom line.

DSG

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
L35FUUP - Why do you guys think people stopped contributing here? - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I think a lack of contribution here is because a lot of the people in the development scene have moved on to do other things, and are busy with their lives. There are older members who hop on to check out the MS section still, but I don't think many people have the same amount of free time they used to have for doing MS development. Another thing, MapleStory is not as popular as it was years ago, which means less people in the development scene.

However, the game has survived a long time, and I think there is going to be a certain niche of people here on Ragezone who will continue to do MS development for a long time. I think if we can continue to maintain resources readily available for new people getting into MS development and older members who are still visiting, then the MS section can survive a bit longer than many people think. For example, MS setups, and existing localhosts still need to be maintained, and public connection methods for various versions should be compiled into a single thread.

What I miss the most are small releases like Event/PQ/NPC javascript releases. Obviously these are not hard for a developer to make, but it shows the community is actively developing, and sharing even small things. Also, anticipating leaks or localhosts to be posted around Christmas was another fun aspect of the community I remember when I was just starting out.

I think we've also reached a point in the community where almost everything has already been done/released(barring newest MS versions), and it's hard to find a release that will give a WOW factor that will really excite the community.

Discord: .z41n
[VIP] Member
Reaction score
My knee-jerk reaction to this post was "because people have moved onto better things". But after seeing more and more posts, particularly from owners of servers, I think its also more of a monopolistic ideal.

It certainly does not excuse those who are actively managing a server, but after recently getting back into the scene and seeing how easy it is to get a v62/v83 up and running, it must be that they simply do not want to share publicly to ensure competition stays at a minimum.

To those interested in getting their servers up, please YouTube Z41N (that's me). I have full tutorials and guides, with links to RZ content, to help you get your servers up. Started with as a side project to build my portfolio, so would love to see more heads pumped back into RZ.

I'm coming for you royals/legends.

Last edited:
UNTIL THEN!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Probably also doesn't help that no one even thanks each other. That goes for basically everything in the MSDev community. Also, I stopped """deving""" and playing MS due to the toxic owners that fill up the gtop100 spots these days. People really love to Ducking jerk themselves off here.

Super-Moderator
Staff member
Super-Moderator
Reaction score
it must be that they simply do not want to share publicly to ensure competition stays at a minimum.
Is that an issue, though? This absolutely makes sense from a professional perspective. I have released open-source projects on GitHub to help others, make their lives a little bit easier. But I also have many closed-source projects which are only meant to be used by my company. Even though there are "legal" matters when it comes to a private server of MapleStory, for the owner of MapleRoyals and MapleLegends their server could be their main source of income. I don't think these server owners are the cause of or involved in the reason why there's less contribution on RaGEZONE. Top servers didn't release their files for as long as I can remember when it comes to MapleStory. Some were released after a shutdown. Back then when there was a lot of contribution on RaGEZONE, there were many more servers with 1000+ players, instead of the 2-3 servers there are at this moment. Most of these servers didn't release their files.

[VIP] Member
Reaction score
Is that an issue, though? This absolutely makes sense from a professional perspective. I have released open-source projects on GitHub to help others, make their lives a little bit easier. But I also have many closed-source projects which are only meant to be used by my company. Even though there are "legal" matters when it comes to a private server of MapleStory, for the owner of MapleRoyals and MapleLegends their server could be their main source of income. I don't think these server owners are the cause of or involved in the reason why there's less contribution on RaGEZONE. Top servers didn't release their files for as long as I can remember when it comes to MapleStory. Some were released after a shutdown. Back then when there was a lot of contribution on RaGEZONE, there were many more servers with 1000+ players, instead of the 2-3 servers there are at this moment. Most of these servers didn't release their files.

Yea that's a good point - perhaps we just need to revive the community. It's been years so another big factor is people just having moved on

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey, so I'm a newcomer when it comes to maple dev and wanted to share my outsider's perspective. RageZone is the go-to place for maple dev info / content, which makes the site appear first on google searches. That's cool and all, but sometimes I feel like I'm scavenging or trying to learn a lost art: a great chunk of posts were made in 2010~~2012, and the activity keeps dwindling as the years go by. Gladly, there are many helpful tutorials out there, however they have dead links / dead images, old versions of dependencies, etc.

In addition, I've found the community's aura not to be beginner friendly. Sometimes I see helpful tutorials get roasted by the first reply saying "nobody needs this". Well, it's trivial for someone in the scene, but it's needed information for someone who wants to start out. I've seen others say "this is not useful, because devs already know this and others just wanna leech". No, that's false. There are devs who don't know the maple dev ecosystem, but still wanna learn.

So, I kinda agree with what the others said regarding the reduction of contribution in RageZone: money is a big factor, it's an old game, people have moved on with their lifes. But also the forum itself doesn't look very inviting. I just take it for a dead forum which helps me a lot. I don't know if there are other lurkers like me who are in a similar situation, but it would be cool to see there are other people alive here. "Why contribute when nobody will read this?". The thing that motivates me to still pursue this is that I love the game, the private scene isn't dead yet (it has many times less players, but it's still 5000+) and there still are a few contributions here and there (RageZone, Z41N's youtube channel, etc). As well, it may be the case that the dev community has transitioned to Discord, but I'm not entirely sure.

[VIP] Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I'm a newcomer when it comes to maple dev and wanted to share my outsider's perspective. RageZone is the go-to place for maple dev info / content, which makes the site appear first on google searches. That's cool and all, but sometimes I feel like I'm scavenging or trying to learn a lost art: a great chunk of posts were made in 2010~~2012, and the activity keeps dwindling as the years go by. Gladly, there are many helpful tutorials out there, however they have dead links / dead images, old versions of dependencies, etc.

In addition, I've found the community's aura not to be beginner friendly. Sometimes I see helpful tutorials get roasted by the first reply saying "nobody needs this". Well, it's trivial for someone in the scene, but it's needed information for someone who wants to start out. I've seen others say "this is not useful, because devs already know this and others just wanna leech". No, that's false. There are devs who don't know the maple dev ecosystem, but still wanna learn.

So, I kinda agree with what the others said regarding the reduction of contribution in RageZone: money is a big factor, it's an old game, people have moved on with their lifes. But also the forum itself doesn't look very inviting. I just take it for a dead forum which helps me a lot. I don't know if there are other lurkers like me who are in a similar situation, but it would be cool to see there are other people alive here. "Why contribute when nobody will read this?". The thing that motivates me to still pursue this is that I love the game, the private scene isn't dead yet (it has many times less players, but it's still 5000+) and there still are a few contributions here and there (RageZone, Z41N's youtube channel, etc). As well, it may be the case that the dev community has transitioned to Discord, but I'm not entirely sure.

Exactly why I started the channel - glad to help!!
Maple deving is a great way to get into the dev scene as a whole, hoping to see more faces

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I agree with it being not beginner friendly! And for me the start was a bit hard, it mostly re-inventing the wheel? But its going oke now and im willing to help out with people who has questions. But this forum is dieing.. maybe we need to setup a new forum that looks more inviting? And remake tutorials and stuff? I dont know.. just throwing it out there.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I was a major lurker back in the day. My guess is that it's because back then most of us probably had a lot of time on our hands and then we grew up. Studies and work got in the way, people had families to raise, etc. Combine that with a lack of newbies joining and you have a dwindling community. Also I guess many newcomers aren't old enough to remember the greatness that was pre big bang maple.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Most likely people had more time years ago compared to now. Just a guess though.

Back