Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

So I'll fill you in. RaGEZONE / Nexon / FT and a court case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
RaGEZONE is administered by Dan.
Why the hell are you stating the obvious? You're stating as if no other corporation plays dirty.

How so? You'd be pretty damn surprised if you ever read an article in the business section of the New York Times.

Why the hell are you wasting your time asking me?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
When I read what dan posted I just basically Laughed my butt off. Nexon wants to sue everyone, now that's sayIng something. So how are they going to find everyone responsible? Track IPs? What a joke.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
As a student i am interested in some main arguements. Im sure these relate, but im not sure what the retaliation arguements would be.

Firstly, i'd like to point out a relation between "parody" and "Server emulator". In the case that the creators of such emulators are run as an entirely donation based organization which is not run for profit whatsoever are they not free from Copyright laws? Are private servers not our interpretation of MapleStory as parodies are to songs?

Does the arguement "Strictly for learning purposes" not relate when the organization is not profit or sales based?

Does RZ's ToS not protect mental whatsoever, when it surely points out that ragezone is not responsible for what its users post? (Plus the fact that he is not bound by Nexon's Tos?)

I wonder if anyone has done their research.
I have hardly done so, perhaps one of you can outline the flaws in my points - without flaming or saying anything like "google it".

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's the thing. They cannot claim copyright nor trademark infringement on source code because it is that, code. The code is the property of the writer but to validate it you must at least produce verification of such claim. In a court the code in question would need to be analyzed and compared which would be an expensive and lengthy process.

BrazilMs I do not follow but if they did steal code then ultimately that is nothing to with me, hell... I don't know 90% of the teams, emu names or anything else, I never played MapleStory and I do not know nothing about it.

Nexon and MapleStory are trademarks and the imagery related to it also belong to the Nexon corporation. We do not distribute or produce any imagery related to Nexon and MapleStory but if Nexon did want to clutch at straws then they could hold accountable user avatars and signatures. If Nexon would want to compare code and send me proof that it is indeed taken, stolen or anything else I'll happily look over it.

What I do not want to see is the term "hack" "rogue" "illegal" or anything so preposterous that It will just anger me due to negligence on the part of the lawyer. I've actually contacted Lloyd Korn to resolve the matter as indicated in a previous message sent to a third party about me (about me and not to me btw) so, it's just a waiting game.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Nexon's good at that game. Isnt odinMS still waiting? ^^

Naturally we must understand that Lloyd's writing must be heavily biased. As a lawyer he can not act impartial, he must use powerful words and harsh language - its what he's paid for.

Last edited:
M

MapleFanatic

Why don't we all (Nexon included) wait for the outcome of OdinMS? If OdinMS is deemed to be illegal then they'll have a valid argument.

Reaction score
Why don't we all (Nexon included) wait for the outcome of OdinMS? If OdinMS is deemed to be illegal then they'll have a valid argument.

Is OdinMS a server or just the source development team? If its a server they could be in trouble for using and editing client without permission but if its the source I'm sure they'll be fine.

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Is OdinMS a server or just the source development team? If its a server they could be in trouble for using and editing client without permission but if its the source I'm sure they'll be fine.

Both.

They were the first MS Server and the one who started the MS Pserver Development.

Don't quote me on that, I may be wrong or whatever, but you can't really expect a 13 year old to know everything.

Last edited:
Zzzz...
Loyal Member
Reaction score
OdinMS was actually a somewhat professional team (compared to the development teams we have now) so if anybody has a shot at beating Nexon it's them. I think Nexon realized they couldn't beat OdinMS and decided to go after a bunch of teenagers; much easier to intimidate ;)

Smoke & Fly
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I think Lloyd knows rz isn't sue-able. But he will use terrorism to try and get the section or even the forum shut down.

As for OdinMS. I've been following their website updates ever since it went down. If it is all true, i feel sorry for the devs. I do wonder howmuch donations they have gotten, though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
(1) Limitation on liability.— A service provider shall not be liable for monetary relief, or, except as provided in subsection (j), for injunctive or other equitable relief, for infringement of copyright by reason of the intermediate and temporary storage of material on a system or network controlled or operated by or for the service provider in a case in which—
(A) the material is made available online by a person other than the service provider.

Taken from; § 512. Limitations on liability relating to material online.

Therefore then this should not even be a problem?

Smoke & Fly
Loyal Member
Reaction score
What we know about Nexon is that they go boom boom boom without thinking anything through. They've proven incompetent to even uphold a somewhat stabile service for their gamers. Lloyd is under their command. This is all just a big joke. Nothing more. The OdinMS case is costing them alot of money. One thing they're not looking for is even higher legal costs. And by the looks of it if they'd sue RaGEZONE, they'd lose. So to try that,.. They wouldn't.

You shouldn't worry.

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
What we know about Nexon is that they go boom boom boom without thinking anything through. They've proven incompetent to even uphold a somewhat stabile service for their gamers. Lloyd is under their command. This is all just a big joke. Nothing more. The OdinMS case is costing them alot of money. One thing they're not looking for is even higher legal costs. And by the looks of it if they'd sue RaGEZONE, they'd lose. So to try that,.. They wouldn't.

You shouldn't worry.

I would somewhat agree with that statement. From prior experience of other servers and Nexon's legal actions. I can summarize the basic steps Lloyd Korn/Nexon takes towards shutting down a server.

1. Mr. Korn contacts the hoster with an e-mail containing the DMCA. If the server does not immediately shut down, proceed to step 2.
2. Mr. Korn then contacts the hosting company/ISP for your personal information and again, sends another DMCA via e-mail. If the server does not immediately shut down, proceed to step 3.
3. Mr. Korn sends a final DMCA notice requesting that you shut down immediately. If the server does not immediately shut down, proceed to step 4.
4. Mr. Korn contacts another law firm which that law firm sends a DMCA to you requesting that you shut down.
5. I've never seen a step 5.

The idea of these steps? Nexon takes a very formulaic approach to their DMCAs, and in the very end, its another law firm that pursues the court case.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Isnt Rydah paying up?
Im fairly sure it didnt go to court proceedings, perhaps conciliation? :S

What i cant comprehend is why they target Private Servers instead of the hacking sites.

Reaction score
Isnt Rydah paying up?
Im fairly sure it didnt go to court proceedings, perhaps conciliation? :S

What i cant comprehend is why they target Private Servers instead of the hacking sites.

Because it appears to be incompetence on their part. We do them a civil service by not allowing hacks here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back