Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Long time lurker, active maybe 10 years ago when v62 was still a thing and the community was growing. Decided to make use of my free time to port over the guide written on Discord. Hopefully this helps more people to get into some sort of mushroom-game dev :)

Full credits to the Swordie team & contributors, especially Asura and Sjonnie who originally wrote this guide.

Swordie Discord:

Downloads:
App Downloads (install before proceeding):
Source Tree:
IntelliJ (Community version):
MySQL Workbench:
WAMP Server:
Java Dev Kit 1.8uXX:
WZ Dump:
Maple Story v176 Setup (install before proceeding):

Other Downloads:
WZ Codes:

Guide:
Step 1: Clone Repository
1. Open Source Tree
2. Click File > Clone/New
X138yCz - Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide - RaGEZONE Forums

3. Enter the details as follows:
  • Source Path:
  • Destination Path: <choose where you want to save it>
  • Name: swordie
  • Local Folder: [Root]
4. Hit Clone

Step 2: Dumping WZ Files
1. **Make sure you have v176 installed before proceeding**
2. Open the folder where you saved the server files
3. Create 2 new empty folders named “wz” and “dat”

4. Open up WZ Dumper & select “Dump All WZ Files from Folder”
4m7Vct8 - Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide - RaGEZONE Forums

5. Choose the folder where you installed v176

GM3FWnW - Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide - RaGEZONE Forums

6. Next, choose the wz folder that you created in source folder

Bvvz5r7 - Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide - RaGEZONE Forums

Note: this step will take some time, so you can proceed with the next steps while you wait.

Step 3: Create your Database
1. Install (if you haven’t already) and run WAMP server. Make sure it is lit green in your bottom right sidebar.

2. Open MySQL and add a new connection by clicking the + sign.
9mHDmB2 - Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide - RaGEZONE Forums

3. Fill up the details as seen below:
8o9SBvy - Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide - RaGEZONE Forums

4. Click on your newly created connection
DLXkOvt - Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide - RaGEZONE Forums

5. Create a new schema
JqPJlPF - Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide - RaGEZONE Forums

6. Name the schema “swordie”, don’t touch any of the other options and then click Apply and Finish.
WZ4qlZZ - Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide - RaGEZONE Forums

7. Open script file
MXmgLfm - Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide - RaGEZONE Forums

8. Navigate to <your source folder>/sql/ and select InitTables_characters.sql

naw7V8C - Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide - RaGEZONE Forums

9. Double click the swordie schema so it becomes bold
ypcTASs - Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide - RaGEZONE Forums

10. Execute the file
0XGAbzf - Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide - RaGEZONE Forums

11. Once done, you will need to run the rest of the scripts in the sql folder.

Step 4: Running the server
**NOTE**: your WZ files must have finished dumping (see step 2) before proceeding.
1. Open IntelliJ
2. Click Open or Import
qtDtRQy - Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide - RaGEZONE Forums

3. Select the swordie source folder and open it. Once open, a project window will appear on the left sidebar.
Ak8XwO6 - Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide - RaGEZONE Forums

4. From this sidebar open src > main > java . If the ‘java’ folder isn’t marked blue, right-click it > Mark Directory as > Sources Root
Q1be26m - Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide - RaGEZONE Forums

5. Navigate to src > main > java > net.swordie.ms > Server. Right-click and run server.
OSLP5xI - Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide - RaGEZONE Forums

6. It will take awhile to run the server for the first time as the dat files have to be generated. Be patient and cross your fingers.
7. Once you see something like this:
1oXKBsX - Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide - RaGEZONE Forums

Your server should be up and running.
8. Restart the server if it is your first time running it

Step 5: Connecting to your server
1. Refer to Bluntest’s method: http://forum.ragezone.com/f921/v176-client-bypass-1164436/ OR use the updated one I created here: http://forum.ragezone.com/f921/v176-moonlight-1-5-client-1177022/ (this one allows you to create an account from within the launcher)
2. Download the files, extract and put them into your v176 folder. Be sure to back up the originals
3. Delete the Blackcipher folder.
4. Run MoonLight as administrator
5. From your taskbar, right-click the little Maple icon and click play.
bOOE9gu - Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide - RaGEZONE Forums

6. Sign in using the pre-made account:
Code:
Username: admin
Password: admin
PIC: 111 111

Debugging Common Issues
NGS Initialization Error possible fixes:
  • Make sure you've deleted your BlackCipher folder
  • Update & restart your computer
  • Disable your anti-virus (AVG/Norton/Windows Defender/etc) and whilelist the enter folder where your MS is installed
  • Open Task Manager & ensure that no MapleStory related processes are running (e.g. MapleStory.exe, BlackCipher, Nexon Game Security)
If I have the time I will try to answer questions to be best of my ability. glhf, stay safe.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey Thanks for the guide,I followed your guide, but I reached a dead-end, Client Freezes on region selection... any idea why ?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey Thanks for the guide,I followed your guide, but I reached a dead-end, Client Freezes on region selection... any idea why ?

I think you need to start cmd in admin mode and type this

netsh int ip add addr 1 8.31.99.141 255.255.255.0 st=ac

Any help?

Amazing guide "kieul" i can't wait to test it!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
what was the error message returned in the IntelliJ terminal? did you try restarting the server?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey i do everything! but i dont have "run sever main{}"

I have only "build module maplestory" and "recompile server.java" what to do?

Maybe i miss some plugin in my intellij community software?

Second thing
you can creat .bat file to run the server?

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Managed to get myself online by fixing the mess I made in the source, However, Server is smooth, just lots of bugs here there, I will try to get some fixed and push to the main Swordie if possible~

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey i do everything! but i dont have "run sever main{}"

I have only "build module maplestory" and "recompile server.java" what to do?

Maybe i miss some plugin in my intellij community software?

Second thing
you can creat .bat file to run the server?

I fix it by waiting for intellij to indexing

after that i can press on run server main and the game work

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I am still running into error where I cannot create character when creating name. it says that I have purchased a name change and it's in effect.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I am still running into error where I cannot create character when creating name. it says that I have purchased a name change and it's in effect.
Try using a name that's not in use + is long enough + is allowed. Something like "Warrior" or whatever. The result type for invalid char name is wrong, so that's why you get a weird error. Otherwise just debug the handler for CHECK_DUPLICATE_ID (I think?) to see what's going wrong.
Kieul: Nice :D

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Try using a name that's not in use + is long enough + is allowed. Something like "Warrior" or whatever. The result type for invalid char name is wrong, so that's why you get a weird error. Otherwise just debug the handler for CHECK_DUPLICATE_ID (I think?) to see what's going wrong.
@Kieul: Nice :D

the offense i'm recieving no matter the name i choose is 'tried to add items unavailable on char selection' there are no characters created yet, just ran the source today.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
the offense i'm recieving no matter the name i choose is 'tried to add items unavailable on char selection' there are no characters created yet, just ran the source today.
Make sure your dat files generated properly (try regenerating them by deleting equips.dat), the allowed items come from the wz files.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
i tried google but nothing work i get this error

"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-14.0.1\bin\java.exe" "-javaagent:C:\Program Files\JetBrains\IntelliJ IDEA 2020.1.1\lib\idea_rt.jar=53876:C:\Program Files\JetBrains\IntelliJ IDEA 2020.1.1\bin" -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -classpath C:\Users\Alex\Documents\maplestory\src\out\production\src net.swordie.ms.Server
Error: Could not find or load main class net.swordie.ms.Server
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.swordie.ms.Server

Process finished with exit code 1

i have no idea what to do now damn it the only guides in google are for regular servers with dist folder but swordie is not like all the others pls help

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
i tried google but nothing work i get this error

"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-14.0.1\bin\java.exe" "-javaagent:C:\Program Files\JetBrains\IntelliJ IDEA 2020.1.1\lib\idea_rt.jar=53876:C:\Program Files\JetBrains\IntelliJ IDEA 2020.1.1\bin" -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -classpath C:\Users\Alex\Documents\maplestory\src\out\production\src net.swordie.ms.Server
Error: Could not find or load main class net.swordie.ms.Server
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.swordie.ms.Server

Process finished with exit code 1

i have no idea what to do now damn it the only guides in google are for regular servers with dist folder but swordie is not like all the others pls help
not 100% sure but it seems like you have the wrong version of jdk. it should be jdk 1.8.xx. try downloading the one in the links above

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hi
I have a Problem

When I click on "Run Server main ()"it appears that:

[INFO] Starting server.[DEBUG] Logging Provider: org.jboss.logging.Log4jLoggerProviderException in thread "main" org.hibernate.service.spi.ServiceException: Unable to create requested service [org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.env.spi.JdbcEnvironment] at org.hibernate.service.internal.AbstractServiceRegistryImpl.createService(AbstractServiceRegistryImpl.java:271) at org.hibernate.service.internal.AbstractServiceRegistryImpl.initializeService(AbstractServiceRegistryImpl.java:233) at org.hibernate.service.internal.AbstractServiceRegistryImpl.getService(AbstractServiceRegistryImpl.java:210) at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.internal.JdbcServicesImpl.configure(JdbcServicesImpl.java:51) at org.hibernate.boot.registry.internal.StandardServiceRegistryImpl.configureService(StandardServiceRegistryImpl.java:94) at org.hibernate.service.internal.AbstractServiceRegistryImpl.initializeService(AbstractServiceRegistryImpl.java:242) at org.hibernate.service.internal.AbstractServiceRegistryImpl.getService(AbstractServiceRegistryImpl.java:210) at org.hibernate.boot.model.process.spi.MetadataBuildingProcess.handleTypes(MetadataBuildingProcess.java:352) at org.hibernate.boot.model.process.spi.MetadataBuildingProcess.complete(MetadataBuildingProcess.java:111) at org.hibernate.boot.model.process.spi.MetadataBuildingProcess.build(MetadataBuildingProcess.java:83) at org.hibernate.boot.internal.MetadataBuilderImpl.build(MetadataBuilderImpl.java:418) at org.hibernate.boot.internal.MetadataBuilderImpl.build(MetadataBuilderImpl.java:87) at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSessionFactory(Configuration.java:691) at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSessionFactory(Configuration.java:726) at net.swordie.ms.connection.db.DatabaseManager.init(DatabaseManager.java:138) at net.swordie.ms.Server.init(Server.java:61) at net.swordie.ms.Server.main(Server.java:143)Caused by: org.hibernate.exception.JDBCConnectionException: Error calling Driver#connect at org.hibernate.exception.internal.SQLStateConversionDelegate.convert(SQLStateConversionDelegate.java:115) at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.connections.internal.BasicConnectionCreator$1$1.convert(BasicConnectionCreator.java:101) at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.connections.internal.BasicConnectionCreator.convertSqlException(BasicConnectionCreator.java:123) at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.connections.internal.DriverConnectionCreator.makeConnection(DriverConnectionCreator.java:41) at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.connections.internal.BasicConnectionCreator.createConnection(BasicConnectionCreator.java:58) at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.connections.internal.PooledConnections.addConnections(PooledConnections.java:123) at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.connections.internal.PooledConnections.<init>(PooledConnections.java:42) at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.connections.internal.PooledConnections.<init>(PooledConnections.java:20) at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.connections.internal.PooledConnections$Builder.build(PooledConnections.java:161) at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.connections.internal.DriverManagerConnectionProviderImpl.buildPool(DriverManagerConnectionProviderImpl.java:109) at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.connections.internal.DriverManagerConnectionProviderImpl.configure(DriverManagerConnectionProviderImpl.java:72) at org.hibernate.boot.registry.internal.StandardServiceRegistryImpl.configureService(StandardServiceRegistryImpl.java:94) at org.hibernate.service.internal.AbstractServiceRegistryImpl.initializeService(AbstractServiceRegistryImpl.java:242) at org.hibernate.service.internal.AbstractServiceRegistryImpl.getService(AbstractServiceRegistryImpl.java:210) at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.env.internal.JdbcEnvironmentInitiator.buildJdbcConnectionAccess(JdbcEnvironmentInitiator.java:145) at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.env.internal.JdbcEnvironmentInitiator.initiateService(JdbcEnvironmentInitiator.java:66) at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.env.internal.JdbcEnvironmentInitiator.initiateService(JdbcEnvironmentInitiator.java:35) at org.hibernate.boot.registry.internal.StandardServiceRegistryImpl.initiateService(StandardServiceRegistryImpl.java:88) at org.hibernate.service.internal.AbstractServiceRegistryImpl.createService(AbstractServiceRegistryImpl.java:259) ... 16 moreCaused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLNonTransientConnectionException: Could not create connection to database server. Attempted reconnect 3 times. Giving up. at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62) at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45) at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423) at com.mysql.jdbc.Util.handleNewInstance(Util.java:404) at com.mysql.jdbc.Util.getInstance(Util.java:387) at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:917) at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:896) at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:885) at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:860) at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.connectWithRetries(ConnectionImpl.java:2163) at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.createNewIO(ConnectionImpl.java:2088) at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.<init>(ConnectionImpl.java:806) at com.mysql.jdbc.JDBC4Connection.<init>(JDBC4Connection.java:47) at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62) at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45) at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423) at com.mysql.jdbc.Util.handleNewInstance(Util.java:404) at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.getInstance(ConnectionImpl.java:410) at com.mysql.jdbc.NonRegisteringDriver.connect(NonRegisteringDriver.java:328) at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.connections.internal.DriverConnectionCreator.makeConnection(DriverConnectionCreator.java:38) ... 31 moreCaused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Unknown database 'swordie' at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62) at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45) at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423) at com.mysql.jdbc.Util.handleNewInstance(Util.java:404) at com.mysql.jdbc.Util.getInstance(Util.java:387) at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:942) at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:3966) at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:3902) at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:875) at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.proceedHandshakeWithPluggableAuthentication(MysqlIO.java:1712) at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.doHandshake(MysqlIO.java:1228) at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.coreConnect(ConnectionImpl.java:2253) at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.connectWithRetries(ConnectionImpl.java:2104) ... 42 morePicked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx1024MProcess finished with exit code 1

I hope you can help me.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Excellent tutorial, after trying it several times, I finally turned it on.
But I would like to know how I can implement things from the "cashop" and modify the "exprate" and "mesorate" of the server.

Thanks in advance.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Excellent tutorial, after trying it several times, I finally turned it on.
But I would like to know how I can implement things from the "cashop" and modify the "exprate" and "mesorate" of the server.

Thanks in advance.

You can modify rates under .../Constants/GameConstants.java

To add more items into the cs you will need to do it thru SQL. look at InitTables_cashshop.sql for a better idea

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I can connect to server now but what I can't do is creating the gm account (seem your database is different from other version I ever did). thanks for answering me.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I can connect to server now but what I can't do is creating the gm account (seem your database is different from other version I ever did). thanks for answering me.

Kieul - Swordie v176 Server Setup Guide - RaGEZONE Forums

actually the default account (admin admin) is already GM account you can find out in the Database with AccountType
then create your character and try commands

Back