Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Guide] Speed up your old Visual studio 2003 compilation time dramatically

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
To those who afraid to upgrade their solution to higher IDE version with multi processor compilation, and wants to benefit the power of "multi processor compilation" in our legacy Visual studio 2003.

What to expect:

• visual studio 2003 will build your solution, 30x much faster.

• More core you have, much faster.

Pre-requisite:

• Your old visual studio 2003 IDE.
  • Visual studio 2017 - 2019 (any of these)
Once you have downloaded the Visual Studio 2017 installer, IncrediBuild is presented as an optional component for C++ workloads namely ‘Desktop development with C++’, ‘Mobile development with C++’ and ‘Game development with C++'

Mustafa5 - [Guide] Speed up your old Visual studio 2003 compilation time dramatically - RaGEZONE Forums

Once Installed, you may verify that the "Incredibuild"is present in your visual studio 2017 toolbar.
Mustafa5 - [Guide] Speed up your old Visual studio 2003 compilation time dramatically - RaGEZONE Forums

Before clicking the 'Incredibuild', make sure you have a solution loaded (In Visual studio 2017, any solution will do, you can close this later once the add-on is installed), and then click rebuild from within the IncrediBuild menu which is now displayed within Visual Studio. This will start the installation wizard.

In this guide, we will choose "Activate Incredibuild locally",

Grab your free trial license by clicking on the link: (Incredibuild will send your free dev license to your e-mail)

Once you downloaded it, click Next.

Click on "Load License File" and navigate to the folder in which you copied the IncrediBuild license file you received .

Click "Next" once you successfully load your license file.

Lastly, Open your "Visual studio 2003" IDE and verify that the "Incredibuild" is present in your old 2003 IDE toolbar.

Build your solution or project in "Visual studio 2003" using Incredibuild, and see the difference.

Sample build on a Quad core processor (more core, much faster compilation):

Notes to remember:
- Don't worry if your license is a 30-days trial only, you can still use the Incredibuild locally, actually Incredibuild locally is enough for our solution here in ran community, but if you need a more faster build times using remote computer, consider purchasing a license.

Credits (original guide) and advance guide (if you need the power of your unused computer)

[Update]
(Direct Installer, To those who doesn't have a visual studio 2017 installer, thanks to
@Dheluxe and lars)

Installation instructions:

Tip: If you can't see the Incredibuild menu on your VS2003 IDE, this is most likely because the add-in is not enabled. (By default i guess?)

To enable go to your Agent (tray Icon *Green Arrow* of some sort) -> Visual Studio Add-In -> tick the box for VS2003.

Last edited:
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Nice one bro. yesterday I was just googling for speed up compiling.. Thank you very much. Pin this.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I manage to install the incredibuild without the Visual Studio 2017 - 2019. I just run the incredibuild installer then Add-on. Good to go. Cheers!
Since the VS2017 is 49GB of data.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I manage to install the incredibuild without the Visual Studio 2017 - 2019. I just run the incredibuild installer then Add-on. Good to go. Cheers!
Since the VS2017 is 49GB of data.

Good to hear, actually my project was build in visual studio 2017, and accidentally saw the incredibuild in my vs 2003 ide. :)

[Update] (Direct Installer, To those who doesn't have a visual studio 2017 installer, thanks to @Dheluxe and lars)

Installation instructions:

Computers are fast; programmers keep it slow.
[VIP] Member
Reaction score
Tip: If you can't see the Incredibuild menu on your VS2003 IDE, this is most likely because the add-in is not enabled. (By default i guess?)

To enable go to your Agent (tray Icon *Green Arrow* of some sort) -> Visual Studio Add-In -> tick the box for VS2003.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score

I am having issues with compiling because since the building is simultaneous, the project build order was not correctly implemented in the way that the dependencies are not built first before the other.
Do you have any idea on how to fix this?
Thank you.

Computers are fast; programmers keep it slow.
[VIP] Member
Reaction score

I am having issues with compiling because since the building is simultaneous, the project build order was not correctly implemented in the way that the dependencies are not built first before the other.
Do you have any idea on how to fix this?
Thank you.

While this is true that Incredibuild builds in Parallel (it is intended that way), technically you don't have to worry about it because it is building only those that doesn't rely on the other Library(s)/Dependencies (yet) they need to wait for the required dependencies to continue further and build themselves.

On the other hand, I am also trying to find the same solution to build things that way. (Which is dumb; Coz why use Incredibuild in the first place?)

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
While this is true that Incredibuild builds in Parallel (it is intended that way), technically you don't have to worry about it because it is building only those that doesn't rely on the other Library(s)/Dependencies (yet) they need to wait for the required dependencies to continue further and build themselves.

On the other hand, I am also trying to find the same solution to build things that way. (Which is dumb; Coz why use Incredibuild in the first place?)

That's true.
I am having no issue with compiling using the normal way but using Incredibuild, errors keep on popping up.
:*:

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
you can build your solution directly, you may try to double check the dependencies and reference of your project.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hmmm i tried this but as my observation its only useful if you build a solution & Project. not in building per file/exe.

There is some workaround to make it work on all files, I tried this one on my friend 12 core PC, it only take 5 minutes to build all files.

Back