Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

¤ The Complete PW Package ¤

Reaction score
Hi,

I know that this is potentially something incredibly simple but I have spent the last day and a half googling and reading through this thread to find an answer (I will admit I haven't made it all the way but after doing a site:http://forum.ragezone.com/f452/ search for my two current issues, I gave up reading through the thread). I have looked up VMWares help manual as well and re-downloaded the relevant files, currently no solutions so I am hoping someone can help!

When I first run the virtual machine, after selecting language and 'Install Ubuntu Server' I get a cmd-looking screen that constantly repeats segmentation fault, which points to a memory issue, however I have 16gb RAM and it is on a 1TB HDD that is less than 90% filled so I am unsure why this occurs. After a while it goes to the select a language screen.

The first of my two big issues is that in Detect and mount CD-ROM it comes up with 'Error while running 'modprobe -v usb-storage''. I can hit enter past that, but then my second issue is that it reaches 'Configuring the network with DHCP' and just freezes. I cannot work out what the issue is. I enabled vlan on the router itself but that didn't fix it, I temporarily shut off my anti-virus but that did nothing either. Am I missing something simple?

I am running windows 10, VMware 12.5 and have been following the video on the first page. I hope that is enough information to get some assistance.
i never got similiar problem (well i use vbox in ubuntu based os), but do you tryed share different amount of ram when install? for that enough 512-1gb mb shared ram to vbox ubuntu and later can change, also 8-10gb shared space enough too
(for me was ok with oracle vm virtual box 5.1.6 and 2gb ram and dual core)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
i never got similiar problem (well i use vbox in ubuntu based os), but do you tryed share different amount of ram when install? for that enough 512-1gb mb shared ram to vbox ubuntu and later can change, also 8-10gb shared space enough too
(for me was ok with oracle vm virtual box 5.1.6 and 2gb ram and dual core)

After trying adjusting the ram to 512 then 1gb it still has the exact same issue unfortunately.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the help, I tried virtual box instead of vmware and it works fine. It still doesn't work on vmware and am curious as to the reason, but since it works on virtual box I should be right from here, hopefully.

So everything is working great now, the server configuration page won't save any changes, and it won't work whilst the server is running and I can't access my character on the characters page (I can see my character however). I was also hoping to up the xp and drop rates, or change the whole exp curve. So I tried edit the element files, and the client and server both have the new element files, but the game still is using the old exp structure. I also tried editing the gs file. I am unsure any of my edits have taken effect and would like to know how to make them take effect or what I am doing wrong. I have managed to find the tutorials to do some basic file edits but I can't find somewhere with this information.

It would also be awesome to be pointed in the direction of some good editing tutorials for shops/gear/probabilities if there are any.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 343
Reaction score
Found your problem (lol)

I am running windows 10

I'm not 100% sure in all seriousness but that's the first place I'd start (I'm running W7 still {duck win8 and 10})! All my friends, acquaintances and so on that do use 10 have NOTHING but problems! So I would recommend (in all seriousness) to "downgrade" to W7 (but I'm also not saying it'll 'fix' this "problem" either =\) ...

For Whatever It's Worth :wink:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Found your problem (lol)

Yea I saw that you weren't a windows 10 fan :lol:

Everything is working except the server configuration and characters tabs in pwadmin (some of the other tabs don't work and some do, I think it is having trouble with anything that writes rather than just reads, although the adding accounts works so I don't know). So even though windows 10 isn't perfect (in my opinion it's a step up from win8), it is working now for me.

[Solved]So I worked out that the server is actually giving the correct XP as to the new XP curve I made, it is just the client that does not show it, even though it has the same element.data. Not sure whats wrong there, but I am sure given time I will work it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 343
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
If go to the characters tab (or server configuration) and it comes up with my grand list of one character, when I click the characters name, it has a white screen that is constantly loading (has the header picture and buttons, the rest of the page doesn't load). Same with the server configuration page. Both load but can't edit when the server is off, however I can access them then. I am probably missing something obvious here, but since I changed the xp curve its less of an issue for me now.

Reaction score
For me not load at all character list and white stuff is same, it's can't communicate in my case with MySQL (I guess).
Try different pwAdmin or check the settings (with 1.4.2 I was unable to fix white screen under header and main buttons)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hmm, seems like I am downloading some secret files (seeing as nobody else seems to have this problem?).

When I try to install 146 server files on top of the 136 as decribed on the first page, it tells me I have to install the 136 server first. The reason for this error is that it checks for a '136' directory in /PWserver. However, it never creates such a directory so that makes no sense... since I can't remove this line I decided to manually create a '136' directory in the /PWserver and copy all the files to that directory. That way the installation proceeds but then it sadly does install 146 in a different directory (/PWserver/146). Due to this, I can't start the server because probably config files are messed up. It wont let be do anything on the PWadmin page.

Am I downloading the wrong files or something? am I some kind of special snowflake that I get a custom installation? what's going wrong?:w00t:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I tried running the setup with chmod 777 this time and still it did not create a 136 directory! Not sure what to do :(

Reaction score
There's no need to chmod anything, you literally download the package then type "./install-pw" (for the base/v136 package). If this isn't what you're experiencing then something horrible has gone wrong! And I would suggest re-downloading, verifying the 'checksum' values and starting with a fresh/clean installation of the OS.

The only things are, certain aspects of the instructions DO *HAVE* to be followed. Such as (but not limited to), installing on Ubuntu server x64 12.04.3, AND installing AS root. If you do not install on very specifically 12.04.3 x64 ubuntu AS root - there's no way the installer will run anyway... If you use 'options' such as the provided "force" option, I do not support this, and you must know what you're doing on your own if you wish to bypass some of the *requirements* of this package.

Maybe you're using an old download? The first several versions of this release did require a lot to manually be done; that has all gone to the way-side. You literally DL it, and then type ./install-pw LOL - then answering a series of questions then - PRESTO, server up and ready!

I really do not know what else to think or say, this release has been out in it's current form since 2014 (3+ years), on page 300, with NO even similar complaints =\

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
There's no need to chmod anything, you literally download the package then type "./install-pw" (for the base/v136 package). If this isn't what you're experiencing then something horrible has gone wrong! And I would suggest re-downloading, verifying the 'checksum' values and starting with a fresh/clean installation of the OS.

The only things are, certain aspects of the instructions DO *HAVE* to be followed. Such as (but not limited to), installing on Ubuntu server x64 12.04.3, AND installing AS root. If you do not install on very specifically 12.04.3 x64 ubuntu AS root - there's no way the installer will run anyway... If you use 'options' such as the provided "force" option, I do not support this, and you must know what you're doing on your own if you wish to bypass some of the *requirements* of this package.

Maybe you're using an old download? The first several versions of this release did require a lot to manually be done; that has all gone to the way-side. You literally DL it, and then type ./install-pw LOL - then answering a series of questions then - PRESTO, server up and ready!

I really do not know what else to think or say, this release has been out in it's current form since 2014 (3+ years), on page 300, with NO even similar complaints =\
Not complaining at all, very happy with your release! I actually have a 1.3.6 running with the same files you released.
It's just this small thing that is happening for me. I'm following all the instructions that are on page 1 (except for the mount, as that gives me errors so I mount it on another location). Installing any other versions on top of it gives me problems however, since something on my ubuntu is apparantly screwed up that it doesn't create a '136' directory as it should...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
This is where the files are located on my (working) 1.3.6 server:
I followed all the steps in the instructions!

Reaction score
Is that from 2011-2014? Seriously, is that from before or after the 7th of JANUARY 2014? I ask because the old structure (before 7 JAN '14) was not /PWServer/136/ it WAS just /PWServer/ !!!!!!!!!! The package has changed a LOT over time since it's initial release in 2011...!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Edit: I have been using the server_root.iso, from the 2nd post of this thread.
I'm dumb!!

Last edited:
Back