Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

¤ The Complete PW Package ¤

Reaction score
amigo buenas noches yo tengo un problema al momento de llevar acabo la instalación, al parecer no se vincula mi direccion ip al momento de querer abrirla en el navegador no carga la paguina y segui las instrucciones del video, espero y me puedas ayudar

Friend, good night, I have a problem when I carry out the installation, apparently my IP address is not linked when I want to open it in the browser, it does not load the page and I followed the instructions in the video, I hope and you can help me

---------- reply ---------- (respuesta)

El video es para instrucciones básicas, no puede seguir la parte de redes, debe hacer sus propios detalles de redes;)

The video is for basic instruction, you cannot follow the networking part, you have to do your own networking details ;)

http://forum.ragezone.com/f695/absolute-basics-networking-tcp-ip-709746/#post6038760

Además, ¡perdóname si mis traducciones son malas! En realidad no sé español, ¡uso el traductor de Google!

Also, pardon me if my translations are bad! I do not actually know Spanish, I use google translate!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi 343,
i just installed and everything went fine! Thank you so much.
Only question is about pwAdmin.
The "server configuration" tab doesn´t seems to open at all. I click and nothing happens.
It actually opened once and i checked the double drop but nothing happens.
Any thoughts?

Thank you

Reaction score
Hi 343,
i just installed and everything went fine! Thank you so much.
Only question is about pwAdmin.
The "server configuration" tab doesn´t seems to open at all. I click and nothing happens.
It actually opened once and i checked the double drop but nothing happens.
Any thoughts?

Thank you

I actually heard someone else mention config tab not working, but I cannot replicate that - I have never had a problem with it...

As far as double drop working or not, I also am not sure... I've never really actually messed with it... I would presume though, if it's not working, it may be something much more in depth than pwAdmin itself (like gs itself maybe stopping it from working IDK)...

One way to know if it's "working" (or should be) would be at the login screen on the client, on the server select screen it will list any/all "bonuses" on the "server select" screen, IE: "10x EXP, 2x drops, double money"... If you don't see it in that spot, then it's surely not working... However if it shows there, and doesn't "seem" to be working, either it is, and it's so negligible you may not really be able to notice? Or it is indeed "broken" (and is probably something more in depth like gs itself)...

343 - ¤ The Complete PW Package ¤ - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
tendras algun tutorial para poder hacer que se enlace el servidor?

[QUOTE = 343; 9077674] Amigo, buenas noches, tengo un problema cuando realizo la instalación, al parecer mi dirección IP no está vinculada cuando quiero abrirla en el navegador, no carga la página y seguí las instrucciones en el video, espero y me puedan ayudar

---------- responder ---------- (respuesta)

El video es para instrucciones básicas, no puede seguir la parte de redes , debe hacer sus propios detalles de redes;)

El video es para instrucciones básicas, no puede seguir la parte de redes , debe hacer sus propios detalles de redes ;)

http://forum.ragezone.com/f695/absolute-basics- networking-tcp-ip-709746 / # post6038760

- - - Actualizado - - -

Además, ¡perdóname si mis traducciones son malas! En realidad no sé español, ¡uso el traductor de Google!

Además, ¡perdóname si mis traducciones son malas! En realidad, no sé español, ¡uso el traductor de Google! [/ QUOTE]

tendras algun tutorial que me pueda solucionar ese problema?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Nothing show up on event info... I never touched the gs, not even sure what it does tbh.
Only thing i touched was some npc sell tasks.
i use google chrome (shouldn´t have something to do with this but, who knows). I'll try other browser.

Reaction score
Nothing show up on event info... I never touched the gs, not even sure what it does tbh.
Only thing i touched was some npc sell tasks.
i use google chrome (shouldn´t have something to do with this but, who knows). I'll try other browser.

No, I didn't mean that you would have done anything to the gs, just that it could be the culprit... There are other things that needed to be "fixed" in/on gs... A few examples are the GM monster spawner, on the 'default' leaked gs, the GM monster spawner doesn't work (unless the DANGEROUS debug mode is on), so I fixed that! Another one is that it didn't read 'rates' from ptemplate, I fixed that too. Another example is the "wallow fix" as well. There was also something VERY VERY and CRITICALLY DANGEROUS (vulnerability) in the gs that I "fixed" additionally..! However, gs "editing" is NOT for your 'average user'... gs is the server side binary that runs the maps... and the ONLY way to "edit" it is to "reverse engineer" it in something like IDA pro (or even IDA free)... and if that was/is the case, I surely am pretty sick and tired of having to "edit" or "fix" stuff in gs LOL, not to mention the update after update after update after update... I'm almost sure it has got to be equally as annoying for "users" to have to constantly download "updates"...! So that being said, even if it WAS (is) a "gs issue", it likely will not wind up "fixed"... :(: at least not by me and/or not for this release/package :(:

That being said, I do use FF btw, not GC, so maybe browser does have something to do with it - you'll have to let me know :):

All that being said, I do not think it's the gs anyway :wink: because you've stated it doesn't show up under event info... So surely once you get it to show there, it would/should work :): :wink:

So the problem may be pwAdmin/browser - LMK

tendras algun tutorial para poder hacer que se enlace el servidor?

[QUOTE = 343; 9077674] Amigo, buenas noches, tengo un problema cuando realizo la instalación, al parecer mi dirección IP no está vinculada cuando quiero abrirla en el navegador, no carga la página y seguí las instrucciones en el video, espero y me puedan ayudar

---------- responder ---------- (respuesta)

El video es para instrucciones básicas, no puede seguir la parte de redes , debe hacer sus propios detalles de redes;)

El video es para instrucciones básicas, no puede seguir la parte de redes , debe hacer sus propios detalles de redes ;)

http://forum.ragezone.com/f695/absolute-basics- networking-tcp-ip-709746 / # post6038760

- - - Actualizado - - -

Además, ¡perdóname si mis traducciones son malas! En realidad, no sé español, ¡uso el traductor de Google! [/ QUOTE]

tendras algun tutorial que me pueda solucionar ese problema?

# 1) PM enviado - verifique sus PM

# 2) publicar en español está "bien", pero una de las reglas es publicar en inglés, otro idioma puede acompañarlo, pero se supone que todas las publicaciones también deben contener su traducción al inglés, así que ya sabes

--

#1) PM sent - check your PM's

#2) posting in Spanish is "ok" but one of the rules is posting in English, another language can accompany it but all posts are supposed to contain their English translation too - so you know

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
@343
The issue with the wpAdmin panel is happening when all the maps are loaded. If you make the changes before the maps are loaded the settings work as expected. The DB can crash if you play around with the buttons too much. I suspect tomcat, based on logs.
P.S. The webadmin is "funky", especially in modern browsers and tons of the js crap can be blocked locally by ad-blockers,etc.
P.S 2 - the maps cant be properly rebooted/stopped/started in the UI for 155 at least. I would assume it's the same for others, since i emulate generic hardware on my vm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 343
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Just to be clear, i tryed with World map OFF first, then ON, and nothing changes.
Also on EDGE the same happens, ill try firefox today.
Thank you

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
If you want your custom settings to hold - start the *games server after the web server

Reaction score
@343
The issue with the wpAdmin panel is happening when all the maps are loaded. If you make the changes before the maps are loaded the settings work as expected. The DB can crash if you play around with the buttons too much. I suspect tomcat, based on logs.
P.S. The webadmin is "funky", especially in modern browsers and tons of the js crap can be blocked locally by ad-blockers,etc.
P.S 2 - the maps cant be properly rebooted/stopped/started in the UI for 155 at least. I would assume it's the same for others, since i emulate generic hardware on my vm.

A lot if not everything you've said makes complete sense..! I could see there being "problems" doing just about *anything* if you have ALL maps open - unless you actually have the 'resources' to "back it up"..! Especially for v155, to have ALL maps open, I haven't even accurately "measured" "what it should be", but I'd imagine to actually and effectively run all maps - I wouldn't probably want to do so on any less than 64GB; for a "realistic" environment..! Sure it "seems" possible on 32GB, and may be the absolute minimum "required" but I'm also almost sure it's quite taxing on the system/hardware/resources at this point..! I could also "see" tomcat "looking" like the culprit here, but I'd still think it'd boil down to (even if it was) tomcat "misbehaving" because it's out of system resources (IE RAM)...

I could also see just about any 'modern' browser being also problematic as a LOT of this stuff (like pwAdmin, and even the 'base' PHP) was written 10+ years ago! The same exact reason I have never, and would never, even think of let alone attempt "upgrading" XAMPP/lampp or any of it's individual components..! But, and so, I could totally see a 'modern' browser also being 'finicky' with this "ancient" "code"..! There's also not a CHANCE (in hell) of me or probably anyone else actually re-writing ALL this stuff, just to be compatible with newer LAMP stacks, or browsers..!

I did notice the maps don't seem to want to "stop" from pwAdmin, after you mentioned it; which I never honestly 'knew' until now, because I am either stopping the whole server (which works fine), or if I have any reason to close just ONE map, I always do it directly in the terminal... Honestly, at least to me, not a "big deal"..!

Just to be clear, i tryed with World map OFF first, then ON, and nothing changes.
Also on EDGE the same happens, ill try firefox today.
Thank you

I wonder if that's not a part of the problem, you should not try with all maps OFF first; that alone may be why it never "took"... AFAIK the gs (and or other daemons) would have to be running for a "real time" change like this to occur..! Also, then turning maps on, it may have been "too late" because something (likely tomcat) could have been "hanging" due to trying to enact the changes on a non running daemon...

Explicit steps to try...:

- Turn off server [power] completely (or VM)
- Turn on server (or VM)
- XAMPP/tomcat/etc should all start on their own by default - as they're supposed to
- start server through pwAdmin (will start ONLY world map) (under services column)
- change "rates" on "config" pwAdmin page
- test!

If it's still not working, next time around, be sure to include as much information as you can about your setup :wink: IE: Physical machine/VM - which kind of hardware or which VM you're using, especially RAM available - How much RAM the machine has and/or how much RAM the machine itself has, and if using a VM, how much RAM has been made available to the VM (server), etc! As you can see here; I currently am pushing 11GB of RAM usage for only 14 maps! v155 is NOT forgiving on the RAM usage, and in order to run ALL; I'm really thinking you should have NO less than somewhere between 32 and 64 (MINIMUM)..!

PS) I do also know that (sometimes) once tomcat is "causing issues" they may persist even across reboots. One way to resolve this is to remove the "work" directory for tomcat prior to shutting down or rebooting (make sure tomcat is off first)... If you wish to try removing "work" to possibly "help" with your issue follow below:
- stop tomcat (/opt/apache-tomcat-5.5.28/tomcat_stop.sh)
- remove the tomcat work directory (rm -R /opt/apache-tomcat-5.5.28/work/)
- now shutdown before completing steps outlined earlier in this post !

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Reaction score
Actually, there is a better solution made by Wrechid. He made a script called server.sh
I'm using it to start stop server without any issue and it only uses few RAMs to start all maps in 155.

look here:

http://forum.ragezone.com/f751/pw-155-box-1154029/index2.html
I hope it can help. :blushing:

Actually, that's probably one of the original methods (without looking ofc) that, yes, initially uses pretty minimal RAM upon initial opening/starting of the server...

However, start actually populating the maps and/or leave them open long enough and they */will/* climb to their "normal" (HEAVY) usage :wink:

Example of this would be starting similar to as follows:
./gs gs01 gs.conf gmserver.conf gsalias.conf is01 is02 is05 is06 is07 is08 is09 is10 is11 is12 is13 is14 is15 is16 is17 is18 is19 is20 is21 is22 is23 is24 is25 is26 is27 is28 is29 is31 is32 is33 is34 is35 b05 house1 house2 house3 house4 house5 house6 z9 q20 a12b a26b a29b arena04 arena01 arena02 arena03 jail bg01 bg02 bg03 bg04 bg05 bg06 > /PWServer/136/logs/gs_all.log &

That WILL open them all, initially, with pretty low RAM usage; however, as I said, give it time and/or (actual player) population and they WILL inevitably climb to their "normal" (HIGH) usage..!

It is for that reason I have taken to manually starting them one at a time... Because there really is NO way to 'escape' the HEAVY RAM usage of all these maps, and to elude yourself into thinking you can by "mass starting" them, could only prove catastrophic when you reach/exceed maximum RAM usage (or machine capabilities)...

At least, that's my experience with Maps && RAM usage :wink:

Imagine this scenario: You have a machine with only 8GB of RAM. You open enough maps all at once (making it look like RAM usage isn't a lot)... But in reality all the maps you've opened really (do) use 16GB... Now fast forward 100 players, or 36 hours (or whatever); and now your machine is trying to use 16GB of RAM, but only has 8...

CRASH - at worst
LAG - at best

either way, not good!

add: I personally tend NOT to use things like pwAdmin OR "scripts" to start my stuff; as I like to actually watch what's going on and see in real time how something I am doing/have done is affecting the server or it's hardware :wink: So when I say "I have taken to manually starting them one at a time" ~ I literally mean, starting them /manually/ :): :wink:

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
add: I personally tend NOT to use things like pwAdmin OR "scripts" to start my stuff; as I like to actually watch what's going on and see in real time how something I am doing/have done is affecting the server or it's hardware :wink: So when I say "I have taken to manually starting them one at a time" ~ I literally mean, starting them /manually/ :): :wink:

That's interesting, yes indeed.. that's a good way to go. :blushing:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
@343
Made a few ram measurement tests and to be honest - there's no difference between 16/32 and 64. We also must consider the OS here, because on a few occasions the vm simply becomes unresponsive and even the ssh session stops functioning, while the error messages in the xcp-ng console are all about "not enough ram", but as it was already mentioned this also happens with 64GB. I can only assume that the maps do not get unloaded properly. I've set up a personal vm with 4 cpus and 32GB - the usage for the cpus is always in ~75% range and the ram usage with all of the maps loaded is in the 15GB range without swapping. Ubuntu 12 relies on the 3.xx.xx kernel, which may be problematic. When the the new server images are ready I'll see if the distro can be brought a bit up-to-date, maybe even ditch X(L)AMPP and use something else instead. In the GNU/Linux world there's no shortage of efficient servers, however I'm not really familiar with databases, besides the generic create/import/export,etc. I'll send a PM if I find the time to dig more into this.

Reactions: 343
Reaction score
Made a few ram measurement tests and to be honest - there's no difference between 16/32 and 64. We also must consider the OS here, because on a few occasions the vm simply becomes unresponsive and even the ssh session stops functioning, while the error messages in the xcp-ng console are all about "not enough ram", but as it was already mentioned this also happens with 64GB. I can only assume that the maps do not get unloaded properly. I've set up a personal vm with 4 cpus and 32GB - the usage for the cpus is always in ~75% range and the ram usage with all of the maps loaded is in the 15GB range without swapping. Ubuntu 12 relies on the 3.xx.xx kernel, which may be problematic. When the the new server images are ready I'll see if the distro can be brought a bit up-to-date, maybe even ditch X(L)AMPP and use something else instead. In the GNU/Linux world there's no shortage of efficient servers, however I'm not really familiar with databases, besides the generic create/import/export,etc. I'll send a PM if I find the time to dig more into this.

I never ever ever ever ever ever use a VM (personally) unless it's building for the release or an update to it... Or making a video, or something of the like... I do all of my 'testing' and 'messing around' on a physical and dedicated machine w/ 32GB of RAM (current setup)... I definitely cannot 'see' 15GB for all maps, unless you're starting them as I've previously described (in which case their use will/shall go up)... As my SS showed, I was around the 11GB mark just for 14 maps...! This is after "god only knows" how long of uptime, and with ~5 people on/off the server at random...

I'm not yet monitoring too closely because I've been SUPER busy, between this package and it's updates, and other RL crap >.< But I don't ever recall seeing ~75% CPU usage either... I also don't recall any problems with ssh not functioning either... Or most of the stuff you've described above... (So I) Can't help but wonder if some of the things you've described aren't more focused around the fact that you're indeed testing on a VM... =\

I also just cannot see updating having much to do with it because even v155 is SO OLD right now at this point in time, even Ubuntu 12 (which I've chosen Ubuntu in general for this release for obvious reasons [it's new user friendliness]), is ~ possibly newer (or around the same age) as what the retail servers would have been running at the time v155 was "live"..! Don't forget Ubuntu12 ran from 2012-2017 (and still receives Extended Security Maintenance to date)... So if anything Ubuntu 12 (and it's kernel) should be right "on par" with what v155 or < "needs"..!

That being said, I do hear, specifically, that it does "run better" on CentOS... More specifically CentOS 7... So, "sooner or later" I will be setting up a CentOS 7 test server, so I can compare to Ubuntu 12... The release will ALWAYS stay Ubuntu, for it's user friendliness... But as I've said before, there's absolutely no reason someone who (actually) knows what they're doing cannot take this release and put it on anything they want..! The primary focus of this release itself is to give something, that works, to people, to learn on/with/from..!

That being said, yea, no way in heck I'd run this exact release (as is) in a 'production environment'... Firstly, I probably would run it on CentOS just because it's more secure than Ubuntu "right out the box"... Secondly, not only would I NOT use X(L)AMPP (I'd use stand-alone daemons for what I need), but I'd also have those running on a totally separate machine! In no way shape or form would it be a good idea to run ALL this from ONE machine. ESPECIALLY if your website is going to have the client DL / patches..! If running a full fledged "public" server, I'd venture to say I'd require no less than FIVE servers... ONE for web / DL's, TWO for login/auth/delivery/link, THREE for DB's/auth (MySQL and GameDBD), FOUR for gs/gamed/maps, and FIVE for everything remaining not already mentioned (gacd gfactiond logservice uniquenamed) and backups..!

I'd imagine ideally you'd actually have a single machine for EACH and every individual daemon (including one PER map)! I'd imagine that's about how "retail" runs it. Especially when/if they were running x86 OS's because there's NO way they ran more than ONE map per machine with only 4GB of RAM and THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of people concurrently connected..!

I suppose we could 'argue' or hypothesize or 'speculate' all day long about how many machines it actually takes to PROPERLY run this! I suppose if you were running a "small enough" server you COULD "get away" with running it all on one or two machines... But the main focus of the (this) release is to allow people to get their feet wet... I hope nobody uses it "right out of the box" to create a "production environment" server, it wouldn't bode well for them..! I'm willing to bet some 99% of people who download this all fall into one of the following categories: A) they want to learn "server stuffs", or even just Linux! B) they just want a "small time" server, to "tinker" with (play on), maybe for family/friends/guild C) also tied in with part b; they just wanna be GOD, give themselves GM and run around bineg god... LOL But whether a person just wants to play god, or whether they want to learn Linux and or "server stuffs", or whether they "go on" to actually one day open a "public [private] server"; that's why I've put this out there for *everyone* :D To do with as they please :)

But anywhoot, I think I started to go down the ranty rabbit hole LOL - I do appreciate ANY and ALL feedback (especially of the "test / results" type) :wink: You can put in this thread and or PM, either way... My experience is admittedly still limited because I spend so much time building/tweaking the release and other RL crap... Maybe one day I'll be able to give more conclusive/solid "advice" than speculation and hypothesis (and my brief observations)...!!!

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thank you so much for keeping this thread and these resources alive. I've been meaning to setup a PWI server for ages now... I think I will do that this weekend. Since you guys are the mostly likely to know, I have a non-dev question - Which version of PWI is considered the "best" or most well liked? I played back in '08 when it first launched in NA but haven't kept up with it. Are the older versions better? The newer ones? Thanks so much!

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Thank you so much for keeping this thread and these resources alive. I've been meaning to setup a PWI server for ages now... I think I will do that this weekend. Since you guys are the mostly likely to know, I have a non-dev question - Which version of PWI is considered the "best" or most well liked? I played back in '08 when it first launched in NA but haven't kept up with it. Are the older versions better? The newer ones? Thanks so much!

1,000,000% a matter of personal opinion.
Speaking from a general and outsider standpoint, a lot of us (me included) think 1.3.6 is the version that did things right and is the "best" however there is an equal amount of people that prefer say 1.5.1 or 1.4.5.
Asking a question like that is almost worth a topic of itself (please don't make another one, I am sure there are a few floating around) due to the shear fact that each version is unique and has its own cult following behind it that will argue it until the end of days.

[micro speech]
From a developer stand point, the older versions are not quite as resource intensive as the newer versions and are a tad bit easier to work with due to the less "moving parts" for lack of better terminology.

and from a personal stand point. If you are just starting out with messing around with pw servers. save yourself one headache (because there are many with this game) and start with the older version first to get them working then work your way up :)
343 did his damn best to make setup almost fool proof and in my book makes this one of the better ways to start out.
[/micro speech]

Reaction score

1,000,000% a matter of personal opinion.
Speaking from a general and outsider standpoint, a lot of us (me included) think 1.3.6 is the version that did things right and is the "best" however there is an equal amount of people that prefer say 1.5.1 or 1.4.5.
Asking a question like that is almost worth a topic of itself (please don't make another one, I am sure there are a few floating around) due to the shear fact that each version is unique and has its own cult following behind it that will argue it until the end of days.

[micro speech]
From a developer stand point, the older versions are not quite as resource intensive as the newer versions and are a tad bit easier to work with due to the less "moving parts" for lack of better terminology.

and from a personal stand point. If you are just starting out with messing around with pw servers. save yourself one headache (because there are many with this game) and start with the older version first to get them working then work your way up :)
343 did his damn best to make setup almost fool proof and in my book makes this one of the better ways to start out.
[/micro speech]

I have to echo what he said; "the best" is *definitely* subjective, and HIGHLY at that..! That being said, I still tend to lean toward what is known as v136, or pretty much any purely ultra "classic", with ONLY the original THREE races / SIX classes.. Not even getting into the 'politics' of if there is or isn't anything 'wrong' with the new classes (or game balance), it is kind of really nice to have the ALL ORIGINAL game with only THREE races split into SIX classes. That being said, there ARE some things that I would construe as "unfair" or "imbalanced"... And that is, the all original game (3 race/6 class) didn't really have weapon/equipment restrictions, as where (along the way) the company (PW/Wanmei) decided/thought it would finally be a good idea to start hunkering down on those types of restrictions... EXAMPLE: A cleric, can use a BOW... A blademaster/warrior CAN equip a magic sword... HOWEVER; the "daggers" (as release with the Tideborn race, assassin class) cannot be equipped by (AFAIK) ANYONE except an assassin..! So, yes, if you ask me, NOT fair... IMHO they should have either kept the "no restrictions" thing going, or they should have 'doubled back' and made these types of restrictions for ALL races/classes..! (IE remove the ability for clerics to equip a bow)..!

All that being said, I did play the "retail" / "official" game from ~2008 - ~2012; so I am also very familiar with up to v145, as they were on v145 when I quit (retail) in 2012..! So I pretty much have a "soft spot" for ANY version between v126 (126 131 136 142 144) and up to v145... Anything after v145 and I personally think they started to go/get "crazy stupid ridiculous"... To name a few: reawakening, meridian, war card/avatar, reflection, being able to switch demon/sage (although I'm pretty sure they had that in 145 and before :(: ) ~ there's just a LOT of "silly" stuff in the newer (and current retail) versions, if you ask me...! Even "homesteads", even "guild bases"... I'm sure, since it's officially a "free to play pay to win" game, that these things are likely sub par compared to other games with the same types of features of the same genre; that it's all just another way for them to keep milking this cash cow...! Ergo, they probably didn't put "full effort" into these features even, as they're just a way to make money for them! That is, their ONLY driving factor is income and revenue generation; not necessarily the actual quality of the actual content they create (again we can circle back to things like meridian and war card/avatar - heck even Genies [IMHO])...! So, bluntly put, I'm pretty sure they were/are at a point where they're just trying to compound more crap into the game just to keep people playing (and more importantly ~ cash shopping)! Some will like these things, some will not... I am definitely falling into the category of NOT... Because every now and then I do log back into retail just to see if anyone I used to play with still plays, or if at an event (like a LAN party) we will (for the nostalgia) log retail and go do something 'classic' like a TT(/HH)...

But as you can see, I've already started to go down that rabbit hole; just like Fluzzy was mentioning..! We could 'debate' this all day long...! But overall, this package is meant for people to "tinker" and LEARN with..! That is why all the different versions that I include, are included..! Honestly, and personally - I'd have to say out of ALL the different versions we have access to, the ones most "important" to me (regardless of whether I actually like them or not) [IE for archive purposes] would be (what's known as) v136 (which I think is actually 126 if I'm not mistaken, but obviously heavily modified to almost 'replicate' the early v1.4.x (up to genesis)... 131 (because the 131 in this release has the old school names from PW_MY), 145 because that's when I quit (which the closest thing in this release is 146), and 155 just because it's "newest"... So in terms of (to me) archival importance, or say like if I was going to actually make a physical (tangible) release available; it would focus on 131 136 146 155, because then that covers "lowest" "highest" and the "best two" in between..!

With all that out of the way, in terms of "just starting out"; I would (just like like Fluzzy said) recommend starting on v136... There's a few reasons v136 is the "base" package for this installation (that is, you actually HAVE to install v136 before any others)... First reason being, that's what I started with back when I joined this forum. Second reason is, I saw NO reason to basically do completely separate releases for all the different versions, as they seemed to "keep coming"... So a LOT of the NEEDED "base stuff" (like XAMPP for the website stuff) and all the MySQL, tomcat, libraries, and so on and so on; are ALL in v136... So that is why 136 MUST be installed first, and prior to any other "add on", as is in this release... So all those add on's are basically just "drop ins" of the new game server files alone... Because all the 'important' "BASE" stuff had already been installed with v136...

So my recommendation, at least from the server admin side/point of view; would be to start out with v136... As the versions go up, not only is there more "in game" but of course and by extension that makes the server side "that much more complex" as well :wink:

Once you "master" 136, or if all you really want to do is "tinker" game side (play), then go for whatever version you want! As I have tried to make this the best "all around" release for almost anything you could even want to do with it... Whether it's learn linux and or servers, or whether it's just tinker around and play the game (by yourself with family/friends/guild/etc), or if you wanted to dissect it (if or once you "know what you're doing") to make an actual "public" private server...! THAT being said, it is NOT designed to be a "production server" right out of the box... Could you use it for that? Sure if you really wanted to, but I highly doubt it's actually "secure enough" to do so :wink:

Since you played retail in or around '08, I would also reinforce the idea of starting out with v136, because that will also probably be the most familiar to you... If you jumped straight into something like v155, that would be (IMHO WAY too) overwhelming - even just as a "player"..! Not to mention the server side..!

Put it this way, there were enough 'significant' differences (server side) between 136- and 142/144+ that others "around here" and myself "pushed" for RZ to create the split sections (yea PW used to only be ONE section): "136-" and "144+"..! I can't even begin to actually get into what they all are/could be; but there are some pretty major differences between server and client: gshop files, various data files, etc... That operate completely different between "136-" and "144+"...!

So in my words; I'd say "do yourself a favor, and (at least) start out with v136" :wink: Then once you've "picked up" on things and learned a few things, then you can try out another one if you want :): In my (this) release, you are able to install ALL versions if you want, and you can even actually switch in between which one is "active", though ONLY ONE can be "active" at a time (for what should be obvious reasons)... Though if you *really* knew what you were doing (and had a beefy enough machine) you actually could run them all at the same time >.> I would NEVER actually recommend that, and you would probably need a machine with NO LESS than 512GB of RAM... But yea, there is a "service" I created called "pwversion", and it will allow you to chose which version out of any/all installed verion(s) to be "active" :wink: Though/although that is also something you should probably hold off on "tinkering" with until you've installed (just) v136 and "mastered" it :wink:

At any rate, I'm glad you're going to check it out ~ please feel free to leave any feedback; questions/comments/concerns/etc!!! This will likely be the LAST release/update I do for this package as, from what I have heard, the "leaks" will be "no more"... So I figured I would go out with a HUGE "bang" for this packages TEN year anniversary..!

I am actually still in the process of mirroring (taking an up to date mirror) of pwdatabase, and then once that is done "we" will actually be creating a torrent too; so to anyone and everyone out there, please contact me if you would like to help be a "primary" seeder of said torrent once everything is all ready for that !!!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm wondering how anyone would go about finding what's broken or fixing certain quests? I'm running the base 1.3.6 server from 18 March and generally this has been working great. A couple of things I've noticed though:
* Client crashes a lot around shining tidewood area (where Master Bladescraftman is). No idea why but its pretty frequent and only in that location.
* The quests like where you're "finished" with your fb19 reward wep, you're supposed to be able to exchange it for a charm at general summer. He'll give you the quest... but won't let you complete it. And you can't trash the quest either so its now stuck in my list forever. (Unless I can figure out how to edit active quests directly in gamedbd so I can remove it)
* I have tried twice now to do RB Alpha - its content we just never got to experience in the official PW because there weren't enough lv 40-55 people and we didn't understand the game much then anyway, and its great fun. I only did it in official PW after reawakening, when it was then stupidly easy. So wanted to try it for real, this was one of the big things I wanted to set up my server for :) And the instance and the mobs and bosses all seem to work.. but twice now I've killed the wave 1 boss and the reward quest doesn't complete. No idea where to even start on what's wrong with this... but once I level up more I will tested RB Beta/Gamma/Delta to see if those work too.

Back