Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

¤ The Complete PW Package ¤

Reaction score
Plenty of it IS (quite heavily) outdated, but - that is basically a literal transcript of a physical notebook I had started when I first started all of this... Once the notebook started to get too full I figured, why don't I just make/keep a 'digital copy' instead! So, it's heavily based on 136 (and does probably lack a good bit of anything > 136) but there is also some pretty pertinent stuff for newer versions too (like the creature activation IDs for certain things that aren't in 136, or done differently in 136)...

Either way, it's a great wealth of information that, once learned, should have you in the right mindset of "how things are done" with the server and stuffs...

--add--

*ALL* updates are now live ~~ INCLUDING the new HTTrack of ecatomb and pwdatabase..!

cats addicted
Loyal Member
Reaction score
For that vbox problems (and i read that its working now :wink:) there is a simple thing you have to be sure:

- Give the machine at least 1GB more ram than is needed. The VM has to interpret everything to the host and this needs some spare ram to be working (dunno exactly how it works but its about adresses).
- Be sure to check the exact virtualization technique of your hosts CPU. When it has Hyper-V for example, be sure to select this instead of automatic.
- NEVER !!! And i really mean NEVER set CPU limit. Better use fewer core settings.
- Always set Networking to bridged when working with gameservers. Dont use the NAT adapter as its more for file transfer and blocks some ports.
- Be 100% sure to select the correct OS as setting. For example setting 64-bit and installing 32-bit works fine but is very unstable.
- For linux use, set HDD-Controllers to SCSI instead of IDE or SATA. Its more stable and will not break gameservers when HDD (even virtual have this) goes to sleep mode.

Hope that helps a bit :wink:

Reaction score
For that vbox problems (and i read that its working now :wink:) there is a simple thing you have to be sure:

- Always set Networking to bridged when working with gameservers. Dont use the NAT adapter as its more for file transfer and blocks some ports.

Hope that helps a bit :wink:
as a NAT user.. there's NOTHING wrong with using nat if you're doing it locally. you should only bridge when you're trying to go public-facing. and even then you can STILL use nat and forward the right ports out

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi all.
Tw works. Ty for the input 343. Also, the server now is really stable, was a CPU from vbox settings.
I raised to "2" so i could access the server configuration in pwAdmin, but the server was crashing.
Went back to "1" and it works perfect. (can´t access server config but, not really needed for me).
I also found out that Lunar instance isnt working properly. It opens, mobs and bosses are ok.
But the NPC that should appear once you kill the boss to spawn the "vile" version doents show up.
So you can't get lunar gold mats. Also, can't get any Nirvana 3rd cast mold/badge/essence of offense and defense.
Also, the forges (rising down forge and peerless arent there) so you cant get mats, molds or craft the gear, but you can drop with gm command.
Im running the 155 server, so, i believe lunar and 3rd cast nirv should be working.
Am i missing something?
Thank you!

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Hi all.
Tw works. Ty for the input @343. Also, the server now is really stable, was a CPU from vbox settings.
I raised to "2" so i could access the server configuration in pwAdmin, but the server was crashing.
Went back to "1" and it works perfect. (can´t access server config but, not really needed for me).
I also found out that Lunar instance isnt working properly. It opens, mobs and bosses are ok.
But the NPC that should appear once you kill the boss to spawn the "vile" version doents show up.
So you can't get lunar gold mats. Also, can't get any Nirvana 3rd cast mold/badge/essence of offense and defense.
Also, the forges (rising down forge and peerless arent there) so you cant get mats, molds or craft the gear, but you can drop with gm command.
Im running the 155 server, so, i believe lunar and 3rd cast nirv should be working.
Am i missing something?
Thank you!

could be spawn controllers disabled in the npcgen.data, or maybe a bug in a lua on the server?
i know on the copy of 1.5.5 i downloaded the inventory master npcs were not spawning because the spawn controller was disabled in the npcgen.data

cats addicted
Loyal Member
Reaction score
as a NAT user.. there's NOTHING wrong with using nat if you're doing it locally. you should only bridge when you're trying to go public-facing. and even then you can STILL use nat and forward the right ports out

sure you are right but for most ragezone users its too complicated to setup the NAT :wink: Best to not use it because of the hundret of threads asking why its not going public later :wink:

Reaction score
Better to just NOT recommend ANYTHING that will confuse new-comers !

That being said:

Don't use anything other than bridged (+ replicate physical connection)

*solved*

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
could be spawn controllers disabled in the npcgen.data, or maybe a bug in a lua on the server?
i know on the copy of 1.5.5 i downloaded the inventory master npcs were not spawning because the spawn controller was disabled in the npcgen.data

I couldn'd find those forges in Npcgen.data
But even so, isnt 1 npc that is missing. Each boss has his own npc to spawn vile, beside the 2 forges for 3rd cast nirv (and r9 recast on peerless).
I'll keep LF those npc´s to check if maybe they are somewhere out there.
Thanks

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Please let me know what you find. I, too, want to enable those forges and NPC's.
Thanks!

I couldn'd find those forges in Npcgen.data
But even so, isnt 1 npc that is missing. Each boss has his own npc to spawn vile, beside the 2 forges for 3rd cast nirv (and r9 recast on peerless).
I'll keep LF those npc´s to check if maybe they are somewhere out there.
Thanks

Please let me know what you find! I want to enable those NPC's as well.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Those NPC exist on element.data, however they dont show up on npcgen.data
I believe this could be fixed just creating a new forge and linking to their ID.
But this will not solve entirely the problem, since the Lunar & Warsong npcs to spawn vile is still missing.
Without vile bosses we cant get mold or badges to craft anything on those forges, unless we created those npcs manually but this should be also checked in tasks.
343 - ¤ The Complete PW Package ¤ - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I believe this could be fixed just creating a new forge and linking to their ID.
But this will not solve entirely the problem, since the Lunar & Warsong npcs to spawn vile is still missing.
Without vile bosses we cant get mold or badges to craft anything on those forges, unless we created those npcs manually but this should be also checked in tasks.

i mean simple fix would be to add those npcs into npcgen.data... as for the bosses you'd need to load up the npcgen for the cave and make sure they are in there along with the trigger and or quest to spawn them.

If I remember right that is. someone feel free to correct me.

Reaction score

That instance hasn't changed since 1.4.7 I think..? you can use older npcgens on those instances and see if that works. IF It does NOT, then the problem lies in aipolicy, NOT npcgen. (also I believe tasks can spawn NPCs not on a map, since we can do it with debug commands as well

Reaction score
There is a new PW_DEV.iso available... New PW_DEV checksum is:

File: PW_DEV.iso
CRC-32: 556c7dc6
MD5: 9ee57991e75982c1d5ff3e2fc6018b60
SHA-1: 7667bbe5d66b24c7a24ee7de8d219ff421b3dffe
SHA-256: 4307903059ca99d1375eb2f51042c4d8d6ea628fb2fa34b0d15b2f64c798b4dd
SHA-512: 945c7b2285a722937e942ddf5103a3ab2557448525c7df68550834fd49bd6a3f419efc0626138d7c0d19756565738f8e6d8eedcae1931dfd97bbbeede3aea133
SHA3-256: 20a1a85078c524c5b61643d74d3a6cc40d87275b9ad624177a276ccfd6794ce1
SHA3-512: 16c7f9d1eda51f369e78fa506c62fc46e94b04b02c22ebc6707ac49d2085a3801fce7ccecd99781177a0ded0908abaa48f30bcff3e8678c236b939d26559ac13

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
great release been following the release since ubuntu 10 pw1.3.6.

if i remember you had a previous release that we had to download the 136 and 151 installer packages individually (on ubuntu 12.04.3 sometime in 2014), on that release pwadmin can stop the whole server and start and stop the maps individually making the server run on machines with low ram, allowing local play to just start the map as needed and stop when map is empty (if no players on the specific map )

i was wondering for the SAE march 2021
CRC-32: de4fce2a
release,

server runs all good as expected but stopping the whole server via pwadmin would leave the authd server running not allowing the server to start again via pwadmin, same goes with maps once started pwadmin won't allow you to stop maps individually creating the need for the whole ubuntu server to be rebooted just to stop authd (if terminal commands not used ie: kill or pkill)

has anyone figured this out yet, this was asked already i think if so i apologize

server running on a vmware workstation version 15.5 2 cpus 8-10 gb ram setting on win 10 20h1 (even the ubuntu 10 version runs)
server tests done on vmware 9 running on win 7sp1 and windows 10 2004 (ignoring windows 10 error message for vmware)
i used to run it on an old physical machine 8 gb ram but doing maintenance on it

thanks in advance

** im trying to teach my 9 yr old daughter linux and server side things and trying this out to get her interested
also, so she could play pw on her own, start the server and stop the server without going into the terminal side of things ... yet

edit :
looking into the pwadmin serverctrl.jsp old release vs new some parts of the new release have been commented ( // ) line 44 to line 53 was this intentional?

Last edited:
Reaction score
great release been following the release since ubuntu 10 pw1.3.6.

if i remember you had a previous release that we had to download the 136 and 151 installer packages individually (on ubuntu 12.04.3 sometime in 2014), on that release pwadmin can stop the whole server and start and stop the maps individually making the server run on machines with low ram, allowing local play to just start the map as needed and stop when map is empty (if no players on the specific map )

i was wondering for the SAE march 2021
CRC-32: de4fce2a
release,

server runs all good as expected but stopping the whole server via pwadmin would leave the authd server running not allowing the server to start again via pwadmin, same goes with maps once started pwadmin won't allow you to stop maps individually creating the need for the whole ubuntu server to be rebooted just to stop authd (if terminal commands not used ie: kill or pkill)

has anyone figured this out yet, this was asked already i think if so i apologize

server running on a vmware workstation version 15.5 2 cpus 8-10 gb ram setting on win 10 20h1 (even the ubuntu 10 version runs)
server tests done on vmware 9 running on win 7sp1 and windows 10 2004 (ignoring windows 10 error message for vmware)
i used to run it on an old physical machine 8 gb ram but doing maintenance on it

thanks in advance

** im trying to teach my 9 yr old daughter linux and server side things and trying this out to get her interested
also, so she could play pw on her own, start the server and stop the server without going into the terminal side of things ... yet

edit :
looking into the pwadmin serverctrl.jsp old release vs new some parts of the new release have been commented ( // ) line 44 to line 53 was this intentional?

I honestly would not have known because I hardly if ever actually use pwAdmin (at least not to start/stop server/maps anyway)... I almost always do that manually, or by script...

Not sure what comments you're referring to, I haven't commented anything out, at least not recently - if my memory serves me correct...

But at first glance I have NO problem replicating it; after starting the server using pwAdmin - it says authd is "offline" (even though it's not)... Which I'm guessing could also (strongly) have something to do with it not stopping it... ... ...

Things are picking up for me in other areas of life again though so I'm not too sure when I'll actually be able to investigate or even "fix" anything... =\

Uhg, and that would mean yet another server ISO update @.@

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
yep, doing it manually works.

Trying to look into it further, i took off the // on specific lines in pwadmin serverctrl.jsp replicating an early release still did nothing for authd stopping via pwadmin , im going to keep on looking into it
but yeah thanks and no hurries
attend to life and best of luck :thumbup1:

Reaction score
yep, doing it manually works.

Trying to look into it further, i took off the // on specific lines in pwadmin serverctrl.jsp replicating an early release still did nothing for authd stopping via pwadmin , im going to keep on looking into it
but yeah thanks and no hurries
attend to life and best of luck :thumbup1:

You could always write your own script and have pwAdmin call it instead of whatever it does .. ?? .. ??

Well thank you for invoking/inducing my insomnia (no JK it's really not your fault) but, I went to do a lil testing and even 136 isn't working for me RN

So, knowing full well that too once worked, I wonder if it isn't something (somehow) related to newer version of Ubuntu? That doesn't even make sense even to myself RN but then again I am sleep deprived at this point >.>

well in the meantime, for manual or scripting use you could use something like the following to stop authd:

kill -9 $(ps aux | grep "./authd" | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}')

same exact thing/concept for maps

kill -9 $(ps aux | grep "./gs is02" | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}')

where obviously is02 equals the instance you want stopped

That's how I "manually" stop stuff :wink:

You could get even a little fancier and "borrow" this, this is a small script I just tossed together that literally stops either ALL maps, OR any single specified map (one at a time):

Code:
#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in

*s**)
kill -9 $(ps aux | grep -v grep | grep "[.]/gs $1" | awk '{print $2}')
;;

*)
clear
echo ""
echo "Would you like to stop ALL maps?"
echo "y/N"
echo ""
read -s -n 1 confirmall
case $confirmall in
 n|N)
 clear
 echo ""
 echo "NO maps were stopped..!"
 echo ""
 ;;
 y|Y)
 kill -9 $(ps aux | grep -v grep | grep "[.]/gs $1" | awk '{print $2}')
 clear
 echo ""
 echo "ALL maps have been stopped..!"
 echo ""
 exit 1
 esac
 exit 0
exit 1
esac
exit 0

Oh and I even threw in the "failsafe"

that is, it "checks" if you actually WANNA stop ALL maps if you just run the script with no "command line arguments"... Then you have to hit either Y or N to stop ALL

otherwise you could run like ./script is02

and it would stop ONLY is02 :wink:

also, more specifically to you, I know you may be skeptical of getting her on a terminal already, and I would agree with probably not trying to overload her with having to actually manually do so much (ps aux grep kill pkill n all this poop may be a bit of an overload)... But I would think if you tossed that script together, that could be a great way to start learning terminal; by running scripts you've made (or borrowed)...

Then you know that's going to lead to "how to make scripts"!

But yea, kids minds are sponges - the earlier the better!!!

But I would think that may work out for you two as well, just tell her "ok, if you want/need to stop a map you type './stopmap is##' to stop that map" :D: (and ofc there's nothing wrong with using pwAdmin to get the numbers/list!) And like I said ./script (presumably something like stopmap or stopmap.sh [I'd personally actually just go with stopmap]) ran without something like <script> is02 - will presume to kill all maps, BUT ask/confirm FIRST!

LMK

I would also think, you could even modify pwAdmin to "call" this instead of whatever method it is currently using !

at this point I am trying to think about if/how I'm going to handle this for the release because, this could be ALL versions, and rebuilding ALL versions is going to give me a migraine - IF I even actually get the time to do it any time soon :(:

Oh and just in case you didn't know, you could also put a script like that in /usr/local/bin

Then you can skip the preceding ./ when launching it, AND it can be run from anywhere (while in any directory)...!

Back