Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

¤ The Complete PW Package ¤

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You could always write your own script and have pwAdmin call it instead of whatever it does .. ?? .. ??

Well thank you for invoking/inducing my insomnia (no JK it's really not your fault) but, I went to do a lil testing and even 136 isn't working for me RN

So, knowing full well that too once worked, I wonder if it isn't something (somehow) related to newer version of Ubuntu? That doesn't even make sense even to myself RN but then again I am sleep deprived at this point >.>

well in the meantime, for manual or scripting use you could use something like the following to stop authd:

kill -9 $(ps aux | grep "./authd" | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}')

same exact thing/concept for maps

kill -9 $(ps aux | grep "./gs is02" | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}')

where obviously is02 equals the instance you want stopped

That's how I "manually" stop stuff :wink:

You could get even a little fancier and "borrow" this, this is a small script I just tossed together that literally stops either ALL maps, OR any single specified map (one at a time):

Code:
#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in

*s**)
kill -9 $(ps aux | grep -v grep | grep "[.]/gs $1" | awk '{print $2}')
;;

*)
clear
echo ""
echo "Would you like to stop ALL maps?"
echo "y/N"
echo ""
read -s -n 1 confirmall
case $confirmall in
 n|N)
 clear
 echo ""
 echo "NO maps were stopped..!"
 echo ""
 ;;
 y|Y)
 kill -9 $(ps aux | grep -v grep | grep "[.]/gs $1" | awk '{print $2}')
 clear
 echo ""
 echo "ALL maps have been stopped..!"
 echo ""
 exit 1
 esac
 exit 0
exit 1
esac
exit 0

Oh and I even threw in the "failsafe"

that is, it "checks" if you actually WANNA stop ALL maps if you just run the script with no "command line arguments"... Then you have to hit either Y or N to stop ALL

otherwise you could run like ./script is02

and it would stop ONLY is02 :wink:

also, more specifically to you, I know you may be skeptical of getting her on a terminal already, and I would agree with probably not trying to overload her with having to actually manually do so much (ps aux grep kill pkill n all this poop may be a bit of an overload)... But I would think if you tossed that script together, that could be a great way to start learning terminal; by running scripts you've made (or borrowed)...

Then you know that's going to lead to "how to make scripts"!

But yea, kids minds are sponges - the earlier the better!!!

But I would think that may work out for you two as well, just tell her "ok, if you want/need to stop a map you type './stopmap is##' to stop that map" :D: (and ofc there's nothing wrong with using pwAdmin to get the numbers/list!) And like I said ./script (presumably something like stopmap or stopmap.sh [I'd personally actually just go with stopmap]) ran without something like <script> is02 - will presume to kill all maps, BUT ask/confirm FIRST!

LMK

I would also think, you could even modify pwAdmin to "call" this instead of whatever method it is currently using !

at this point I am trying to think about if/how I'm going to handle this for the release because, this could be ALL versions, and rebuilding ALL versions is going to give me a migraine - IF I even actually get the time to do it any time soon :(:

Oh and just in case you didn't know, you could also put a script like that in /usr/local/bin

Then you can skip the preceding ./ when launching it, AND it can be run from anywhere (while in any directory)...!

thanks for the script , it would be a great help
i actually did just that, less fancy though.

for the march release 2021 making her power on the machine letting it boot then her going to a browser starting the pw server letting her choose maps
for v1.5.5 its is61 and is69
for stopping a map, i tell her to go to the terminal and type in pkill -f ' is## '
## = map number as listed on the pwadmin site
then hit refresh on the browser to confirm the map stopped
then for stopping the server i let her click on stop in pwadmin then for audth same command inside terminal
pkill -f ' authd '
hitting refresh again for stopage confirmation
doing this she could restart the server and or just restart or choose other maps again in pwadmin without running out of ram
i told her dont worry about messing anything up at first, the server is there play with it

thanks for the tips, im still trying and looking into all the server versions in mar 2021 release and compare to an older release

" I would also think, you could even modify pwAdmin to "call" this instead of whatever method it is currently using !- - - Updated - - -at this point I am trying to think about if/how I'm going to handle this for the release because, this could be ALL versions, and rebuilding ALL versions is going to give me a migraine - IF I even actually get the time to do it any time soon "

that might be a good solution not diving into everything again and just modify the "call" if everyone would not find something else, not rebuilding the whole release. coz the pkill works and the authd and maps responds to shutting down manually and turning back on via pwadmin maybe patch server side or a small update file

.. about the newer version of ubuntu, as cause the 2014 release used 12.04.3 but just up to v1.5.1 if i remember correctly. i doubt its ubuntu might be just whats inside .jsp or the dated code but ive tried using older browsers on win xp (ie 6 - 11, chrome, firefox)and windows 7 for the pwadmin march 2021 release, same result just letting you know about my experiments.

i edited something to my pwadmin .jsp files i just cant post it atm according to forum rules
which stopped all servers including authd within pwadmin replcing -9 switch to -f in pkill

Last edited:
Reaction score
test post

Figured it out, there must be a security rule against what I'm trying to post even wrapped in
Code:
 tags it will not let me (must think I'm trying to inject/attack) LOL

[QUOTE="arawsg, post: 9081054, member: 2000319310"]thanks for the script , it would be a great help
i actually did just that, less fancy though.

for the march release 2021 making her power on the machine letting it boot then her going to a browser  starting the pw server letting her choose maps
for v1.5.5 its is61 and is69  
for stopping a map, i tell her to go to the terminal and type in pkill -f ' is## ' 
## = map number as listed on the pwadmin site
 then hit refresh on the browser to confirm the map stopped
then for stopping the server i let her click on stop in pwadmin then for  audth  same command inside terminal 
pkill -f ' authd '
  hitting refresh again for stopage confirmation
doing this she could restart the server and or just restart or choose other  maps again in pwadmin without running out of ram
 i told her dont worry about messing anything up at first, the server is there play with it 

thanks for the tips, im still trying and looking into all the server versions in mar 2021 release and compare to an older release 

" I would also think, you could even modify pwAdmin to "call" this instead of whatever method it is currently using !- - - Updated - - -at this point I am trying to think about if/how I'm going to handle this for the release because, this could be ALL versions, and rebuilding ALL versions is going to give me a migraine - IF I even actually get the time to do it any time soon "

that  might be a good solution  not diving into everything again and just modify the "call"  if everyone  would not find something else, not rebuilding the whole release. coz the pkill works and the authd and maps responds to shutting down manually and turning back on via pwadmin maybe  patch server side or a small update file

.. about the newer version of ubuntu, as cause  the 2014 release used 12.04.3  but just up to v1.5.1 if i remember correctly.  i doubt its ubuntu  might be  just whats inside .jsp or the dated  code  but  ive tried using  older browsers on win xp (ie 6 - 11, chrome, firefox)and windows 7 for the pwadmin march 2021 release, same result  just letting you know about my experiments.

i edited  something to my pwadmin  .jsp files  i just cant post it atm according to forum rules 
which stopped all servers including  authd within pwadmin  replcing -9 switch to -f in pkill[/QUOTE]

Yea if you literally change the way it "kills" authd to:

[B][COLOR="#000000"]    R u n t i m e . g e t R u n t i m e ( ) . e x e c ( " p k i l l   - 9   - f   / a u t h d / " ) ;[/COLOR][/B]

it will for sure kill authd!

I already did that no problemos - STILL cannot figure out why it will not stop individual maps though >.< And I also just realized/remembered that I don't even personally have any Ubuntu machines or VMs any more (I personally am using RHEL now), so I will have to install another Ubuntu VM - just to make sure there's also not differences between the two OS's... That being said the release is always gonna be Ubuntu (but I suppose it's a nice time to reiterate "you can put it on anything if you 'know what you're doing' " LOL

Everything else, when and if I get everything satisfactory I will have NO choice but to rebuild the whole release... It's not my "style" (for this anyway) to do "patches" or even just have this info "out there" on how to "fix yourself"... The whole point of this release is to be new user friendly, and facilitate someone who pretty much knows absolutely nothing, to get a PW server up and running... So that they can tinker and learn! So if I get things done satisfactorily I will have no choice but to completely rebuild the server ISO...

All that being said, I am thinking last leak or not, this may very well be my last huge "hoorah" - and I was even thinking of releasing a TANGIBLE / PHYSICAL copy of this... I just don't think very many people would be interested (because it would not be cheap) especially since the download has been, is, and will always be FREE... But in the event there is demand, it may be one day available! I am already designing physical disc "art" because if not anything else, I am * definitely * making myself a "physical set"!

So, if I DO decide (and get the opportunity) to actually do that, everything will need to be "kosher" before I do! Sure, it doesn't need to be absolutely "perfect", heck it's not like it is a "perfect world" or something ROFLMFAO - but no, I mean like actual game stuff like if there's any broken quests etc... It's like sorry (not sorry) I just want to make sure the ultimate "base" of the server/game/client are all working... Now having some problems (like this) with pwAdmin, I just don't think would be a good idea to leave "broken" like this, either for downloaders, or if we ever get to a physical disc set "stage"!

So if I get the chance, I will fix it; then I will completely rebuild the server ISO, then re-release that again ofc! Only thing is, I cannot assure ANY type of time-frame on this because I'm (as already mentioned) about to be getting super busy! But in the "ultimate end" I basically need an "archive grade" release here! Which I apparently do not have right now, but will hopefully have soon™ whether it be tomorrow, or another year from now... That being said, I'll point out that, at least one of the things done in, my most recent pw_dev.iso update was to include some things that may be necessary or desired in the FAR FAR FAR away future, with FULL posterity in mind (things like DOT NET, and visual C++ redistributables, and Java)... Basically, I would like a "finalized 'product' " that, if someone "happens" across it 1,000 years from now, they'll STILL be able to make it work (one way or another)!

I added spaces to that whole line in order to get it to post!

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
"Basically, I would like a "finalized 'product' " that, if someone "happens" across it 1,000 years from now, they'll STILL be able to make it work (one way or another)!"

that'll be great :):
-- patiently waiting

thanks again
*same here still no idea why maps stop button wont work

Reaction score
"Basically, I would like a "finalized 'product' " that, if someone "happens" across it 1,000 years from now, they'll STILL be able to make it work (one way or another)!"

that'll be great :):
-- patiently waiting

thanks again
*same here still no idea why maps stop button wont work

Well, now that the weather is (finally) nice by me, my (actual) work, workload, is going to increase TEN fold (if not more)!... First disclaimer I actually don't know JS for squat (any time I've fixed anything in pwAdmin has been sheer determination and a metric poop ton of google)... But anyway, all this being said, I took another brief look at it just now. I changed the part that actually kills the maps from:

R u n t i m e . g e t R u n t i m e ( ) . e x e c ( " k i l l " + m a p s [ i ] ) ;

To:

S t r i n g [ ] m a p k i l l = { " p k i l l " , " - 9 " , " - f " , " [ . ] / g s i s 0 2 " } ;
R u n t i m e . g e t R u n t i m e ( ) . e x e c ( m a p k i l l ) ;

Just to assure that the actual functionality of, as you can see above, directly kill ONE specific map (regardless of whatever was selected). No matter what is selected that should kill is02... And it does... So, working backwards, I can only presume the reason it's not 'actually' working is either something wrong with it obtaining the PID, and/or something wrong with it getting some needed info from the actual map list portion...

I have run out of any "free time" and must be off to bed RN! But if you happen to find a resolution - be sure to let me know that too! But yea, when I am able to start digging again, next point of attack will be trying to figure out if/how/why it's not getting the right info about the PID(s) to kill and/or which map is selected in the list!

and really, if I figure it all out, I think I'd actually rather have it kill by the "map name" (ex is02) rather than PID - which IIRC is the variable: maps[1] er maps[1] (but RN that's confusing me because the kill part just calls maps) =\ Oh well, later :):

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Well, now that the weather is (finally) nice by me, my (actual) work, workload, is going to increase TEN fold (if not more)!... First disclaimer I actually don't know JS for squat (any time I've fixed anything in pwAdmin has been sheer determination and a metric poop ton of google)... But anyway, all this being said, I took another brief look at it just now. I changed the part that actually kills the maps from:

R u n t i m e . g e t R u n t i m e ( ) . e x e c ( " k i l l " + m a p s [ i ] ) ;

To:

S t r i n g [ ] m a p k i l l = { " p k i l l " , " - 9 " , " - f " , " [ . ] / g s i s 0 2 " } ;
R u n t i m e . g e t R u n t i m e ( ) . e x e c ( m a p k i l l ) ;

Just to assure that the actual functionality of, as you can see above, directly kill ONE specific map (regardless of whatever was selected). No matter what is selected that should kill is02... And it does... So, working backwards, I can only presume the reason it's not 'actually' working is either something wrong with it obtaining the PID, and/or something wrong with it getting some needed info from the actual map list portion...

I have run out of any "free time" and must be off to bed RN! But if you happen to find a resolution - be sure to let me know that too! But yea, when I am able to start digging again, next point of attack will be trying to figure out if/how/why it's not getting the right info about the PID(s) to kill and/or which map is selected in the list!

and really, if I figure it all out, I think I'd actually rather have it kill by the "map name" (ex is02) rather than PID - which IIRC is the variable: maps[1] er maps[1] (but RN that's confusing me because the kill part just calls maps) =\ Oh well, later :):

i will go ahead and point out that if anyone is using the gui on ubuntu 20, i don't suggest using pkill -9, it tends to make the gui crash, thats why when using wrechid's server management script i had to replace all the pkill -9s with killall, not sure which ones were killing the gui, i know pkill -9 gs works every time for crashing it

Reaction score
i will go ahead and point out that if anyone is using the gui on ubuntu 20, i don't suggest using pkill -9, it tends to make the gui crash, thats why when using wrechid's server management script i had to replace all the pkill -9s with killall, not sure which ones were killing the gui, i know pkill -9 gs works every time for crashing it

Fair enough, (and thanks) for the info... Not that I know anyone that actually uses GUI on a SERVER... Also not that I can condone it either >.>

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Fair enough, (and thanks) for the info... Not that I know anyone that actually uses GUI on a SERVER... Also not that I can condone it either >.>

on a server where other people are connecting and playing i wouldn't even have one installed, but on my VM server it's kinda nice to have it

Reactions: 343
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Wow. Today I think 12.04 LTS just 'lost' apt-get. I was putting samba on a new test server and couldn't find the package samba or samba common.
Couldn't find anything in the mirrors either.
Logging in reports that 0 packages are available for update. Not that I was doing an update, but it seemed to back up my thinking.

Anyone else found this? Or am i going mad at last?

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Wow. Today I think 12.04 LTS just 'lost' apt-get. I was putting samba on a new test server and couldn't find the package samba or samba common.
Logging in reports that 0 packages are available for update. Not that I was doing an update, but it seemed to back up my thinking.

Considering how many years it's been since support for that version ended it's unsurprising. If you want to be able to get the packages you need I suggest upgrading to a supported version like 18.04 or 20.04

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yep. Seems the only way I am gonna get a smb2 samba. Either that or simply clone an existing vm I have.....
I mentioned this mainly for 343's benefit. He's been threatening to update his package with CentOS or a later Ubuntu for some time now :)

Reaction score

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
i will also post this here to help people to know which versions are still supported and for how long

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
This is a really cool project 343. I admire your dedication. The old release works fine for playing but you are still making it better. Maybe I will update in the future.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Remote acess to admin?
If it's not a apache-tomcat6 issue and more of a networky thing, then I hope this is helpful (your question didn't indicate how much you know or tried):
Find your server's local ip address. Use the ifconfig command to find it. Assuming it's 10.0.0.19 for the sake of discussion:
The local admin console would be on
Then you would need to redirect anything incoming on port 8080 on your modem/router to 10.0.0.19.
Every router has its own way to do that.
For remote access, you need to know your public ip address. Do a google search for whatsmyip
Assuming it's 1.2.3.4
Then the remote url would be
That assumes you don't have any port security on your server that would stop a simple redirection. And I cannot personally verify that opening that up to the internet would be secure.
P.S.
Part of 343's setup script ask you for your remote ip address. I trust you put that in when setting up the server. (and it hasn't changed!)

Package Tinkerings
Well, I've been tinkering with the v155 part of this package from 343 and been having a good time getting all the tools to work again after so long away from pwi.
I was totally astonished at how easy it has become to get a v155 client and server working. 343 you have assembled a wonderfully easy system. Well done.

Now 343 is more of a v136 guy, I've assumed you haven't messed around with v155 a great deal.
I do remember you don't tend to like the boutique/gshop concept. I can also assume that the person(s) who did the hard work getting 155 to work isn't a great big fan of lucidsilver, gshop, questmaster, quizmaster, housing (well that I could find), or the treasure button. Yep, they aren't activated in the March 2021 release. And I totally understand why someone would do that. The game is unbalanced enough without those.....

Anyways, for personal re-education, I've got everything to work again except for that darned 'treasures' button below the minimap. I actually don't know where to look. Rummaging through tasks and elements files hasn't been fruitful so far. Anyone got any thoughts? Clicking the button does apparently nothing.

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Remote acess to admin?
If it's not a apache-tomcat6 issue and more of a networky thing, then I hope this is helpful (your question didn't indicate how much you know or tried):
Find your server's local ip address. Use the ifconfig command to find it. Assuming it's 10.0.0.19 for the sake of discussion:
on newer distros the package providing ifconfig may not exist as it's been depracated, it's generally recommended to use 'ip addr' without the quotes instead.

Remote acess to admin?
Now 343 is more of a v136 guy, I've assumed you haven't messed around with v155 a great deal.
I do remember you don't tend to like the boutique/gshop concept. I can also assume that the person(s) who did the hard work getting 155 to work isn't a great big fan of lucidsilver, gshop, questmaster, quizmaster, housing (well that I could find), or the treasure button. Yep, they aren't activated in the March 2021 release. And I totally understand why someone would do that. The game is unbalanced enough without those.....

Anyways, for personal re-education, I've got everything to work again except for that darned 'treasures' button below the minimap. I actually don't know where to look. Rummaging through tasks and elements files hasn't been fruitful so far. Anyone got any thoughts? Clicking the button does apparently nothing.

not sure if any of it has been fixed on the latest version or not but some of the npc spawn controllers were disabled in gamed/config/world/npcgen.data not sure how many, but on my copy of 1.5.5 i had to go in and enable the ones for Inventory Master and Perfect QuestMaster. Hopefully this info helps

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Milos,
Yes 'ip addr' also works in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I mentioned 'ifconfig' from habit. Everything seems to be deprecated these days.....

Also as mentioned, I got all the missing npcs working. I did forget to mention Inventory master. Quite a few were turned off! Archosaur looked empty.

I can't yet get a clue about the treasures button. So far that's my only unresolved problem with the 155 package.

Reaction score
I can't yet get a clue about the treasures button. So far that's my only unresolved problem with the 155 package.

Been looking into that as well, not found out what that is yet, I have theories however

Been looking into that as well, not found out what that is yet, I have theories however

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Milos,
Yes 'ip addr' also works in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I mentioned 'ifconfig' from habit. Everything seems to be deprecated these days.....

Also as mentioned, I got all the missing npcs working. I did forget to mention Inventory master. Quite a few were turned off! Archosaur looked empty.

would you mind giving a list off all the ones you had to turn on? i'm new to PW so i likely have many missing and don't know it.
thanks

Back