Results 4,756 to 4,770 of 4771
    The OmegaRank
    Oct 2009 Join Date
    Ancient DGN CTYLocation
    5,486Posts

Re: ¤ The Complete PW Package ¤

Quote Originally Posted by neckfreak View Post
    @343
    Made a few ram measurement tests and to be honest - there's no difference between 16/32 and 64. We also must consider the OS here, because on a few occasions the vm simply becomes unresponsive and even the ssh session stops functioning, while the error messages in the xcp-ng console are all about "not enough ram", but as it was already mentioned this also happens with 64GB. I can only assume that the maps do not get unloaded properly. I've set up a personal vm with 4 cpus and 32GB - the usage for the cpus is always in ~75% range and the ram usage with all of the maps loaded is in the 15GB range without swapping. Ubuntu 12 relies on the 3.xx.xx kernel, which may be problematic. When the the new server images are ready I'll see if the distro can be brought a bit up-to-date, maybe even ditch X(L)AMPP and use something else instead. In the GNU/Linux world there's no shortage of efficient servers, however I'm not really familiar with databases, besides the generic create/import/export,etc. I'll send a PM if I find the time to dig more into this.
    I never ever ever ever ever ever use a VM (personally) unless it's building for the release or an update to it... Or making a video, or something of the like... I do all of my 'testing' and 'messing around' on a physical and dedicated machine w/ 32GB of RAM (current setup)... I definitely cannot 'see' 15GB for all maps, unless you're starting them as I've previously described (in which case their use will/shall go up)... As my SS showed, I was around the 11GB mark just for 14 maps...! This is after "god only knows" how long of uptime, and with ~5 people on/off the server at random...

I'm not yet monitoring too closely because I've been SUPER busy, between this package and it's updates, and other RL crap >.< But I don't ever recall seeing ~75% CPU usage either... I also don't recall any problems with ssh not functioning either... Or most of the stuff you've described above... (So I) Can't help but wonder if some of the things you've described aren't more focused around the fact that you're indeed testing on a VM... =\

I also just cannot see updating having much to do with it because even v155 is SO OLD right now at this point in time, even Ubuntu 12 (which I've chosen Ubuntu in general for this release for obvious reasons [it's new user friendliness]), is ~ possibly newer (or around the same age) as what the retail servers would have been running at the time v155 was "live"..! Don't forget Ubuntu12 ran from 2012-2017 (and still receives Extended Security Maintenance to date)... So if anything Ubuntu 12 (and it's kernel) should be right "on par" with what v155 or < "needs"..!

That being said, I do hear, specifically, that it does "run better" on CentOS... More specifically CentOS 7... So, "sooner or later" I will be setting up a CentOS 7 test server, so I can compare to Ubuntu 12... The release will ALWAYS stay Ubuntu, for it's user friendliness... But as I've said before, there's absolutely no reason someone who (actually) knows what they're doing cannot take this release and put it on anything they want..! The primary focus of this release itself is to give something, that works, to people, to learn on/with/from..!

That being said, yea, no way in heck I'd run this exact release (as is) in a 'production environment'... Firstly, I probably would run it on CentOS just because it's more secure than Ubuntu "right out the box"... Secondly, not only would I NOT use X(L)AMPP (I'd use stand-alone daemons for what I need), but I'd also have those running on a totally separate machine! In no way shape or form would it be a good idea to run ALL this from ONE machine. ESPECIALLY if your website is going to have the client DL / patches..! If running a full fledged "public" server, I'd venture to say I'd require no less than FIVE servers... ONE for web / DL's, TWO for login/auth/delivery/link, THREE for DB's/auth (MySQL and GameDBD), FOUR for gs/gamed/maps, and FIVE for everything remaining not already mentioned (gacd gfactiond logservice uniquenamed) and backups..!

I'd imagine ideally you'd actually have a single machine for EACH and every individual daemon (including one PER map)! I'd imagine that's about how "retail" runs it. Especially when/if they were running x86 OS's because there's NO way they ran more than ONE map per machine with only 4GB of RAM and THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of people concurrently connected..!

I suppose we could 'argue' or hypothesize or 'speculate' all day long about how many machines it actually takes to PROPERLY run this! I suppose if you were running a "small enough" server you COULD "get away" with running it all on one or two machines... But the main focus of the (this) release is to allow people to get their feet wet... I hope nobody uses it "right out of the box" to create a "production environment" server, it wouldn't bode well for them..! I'm willing to bet some 99% of people who download this all fall into one of the following categories: A) they want to learn "server stuffs", or even just Linux! B) they just want a "small time" server, to "tinker" with (play on), maybe for family/friends/guild C) also tied in with part b; they just wanna be GOD, give themselves GM and run around bineg god... LOL But whether a person just wants to play god, or whether they want to learn Linux and or "server stuffs", or whether they "go on" to actually one day open a "public [private] server"; that's why I've put this out there for *everyone* :D To do with as they please :)

But anywhoot, I think I started to go down the ranty rabbit hole LOL - I do appreciate ANY and ALL feedback (especially of the "test / results" type) You can put in this thread and or PM, either way... My experience is admittedly still limited because I spend so much time building/tweaking the release and other RL crap... Maybe one day I'll be able to give more conclusive/solid "advice" than speculation and hypothesis (and my brief observations)...!!!

¤ My Public Releases ¤

MemberRank
    Dec 2014 Join Date
    105Posts

Thank you so much for keeping this thread and these resources alive. I've been meaning to setup a PWI server for ages now... I think I will do that this weekend. Since you guys are the mostly likely to know, I have a non-dev question - Which version of PWI is considered the "best" or most well liked? I played back in '08 when it first launched in NA but haven't kept up with it. Are the older versions better? The newer ones? Thanks so much!

True MemberRank
    Nov 2013 Join Date
    Wisconsin, USLocation
    319Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ggnorekthx View Post
    Thank you so much for keeping this thread and these resources alive. I've been meaning to setup a PWI server for ages now... I think I will do that this weekend. Since you guys are the mostly likely to know, I have a non-dev question - Which version of PWI is considered the "best" or most well liked? I played back in '08 when it first launched in NA but haven't kept up with it. Are the older versions better? The newer ones? Thanks so much!
    1,000,000% a matter of personal opinion.
    Speaking from a general and outsider standpoint, a lot of us (me included) think 1.3.6 is the version that did things right and is the "best" however there is an equal amount of people that prefer say 1.5.1 or 1.4.5.
    Asking a question like that is almost worth a topic of itself (please don't make another one, I am sure there are a few floating around) due to the shear fact that each version is unique and has its own cult following behind it that will argue it until the end of days.

[micro speech]
    From a developer stand point, the older versions are not quite as resource intensive as the newer versions and are a tad bit easier to work with due to the less "moving parts" for lack of better terminology.

and from a personal stand point. If you are just starting out with messing around with pw servers. save yourself one headache (because there are many with this game) and start with the older version first to get them working then work your way up :)
    343 did his damn best to make setup almost fool proof and in my book makes this one of the better ways to start out.
    [/micro speech]

The OmegaRank
    Oct 2009 Join Date
    Ancient DGN CTYLocation
    5,486Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ggnorekthx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluzzy View Post
    1,000,000% a matter of personal opinion.
    Speaking from a general and outsider standpoint, a lot of us (me included) think 1.3.6 is the version that did things right and is the "best" however there is an equal amount of people that prefer say 1.5.1 or 1.4.5.
    Asking a question like that is almost worth a topic of itself (please don't make another one, I am sure there are a few floating around) due to the shear fact that each version is unique and has its own cult following behind it that will argue it until the end of days.

[micro speech]
    From a developer stand point, the older versions are not quite as resource intensive as the newer versions and are a tad bit easier to work with due to the less "moving parts" for lack of better terminology.

and from a personal stand point. If you are just starting out with messing around with pw servers. save yourself one headache (because there are many with this game) and start with the older version first to get them working then work your way up :)
    343 did his damn best to make setup almost fool proof and in my book makes this one of the better ways to start out.
    [/micro speech]
    I have to echo what he said; "the best" is *definitely* subjective, and HIGHLY at that..! That being said, I still tend to lean toward what is known as v136, or pretty much any purely ultra "classic", with ONLY the original THREE races / SIX classes.. Not even getting into the 'politics' of if there is or isn't anything 'wrong' with the new classes (or game balance), it is kind of really nice to have the ALL ORIGINAL game with only THREE races split into SIX classes. That being said, there ARE some things that I would construe as "unfair" or "imbalanced"... And that is, the all original game (3 race/6 class) didn't really have weapon/equipment restrictions, as where (along the way) the company (PW/Wanmei) decided/thought it would finally be a good idea to start hunkering down on those types of restrictions... EXAMPLE: A cleric, can use a BOW... A blademaster/warrior CAN equip a magic sword... HOWEVER; the "daggers" (as release with the Tideborn race, assassin class) cannot be equipped by (AFAIK) ANYONE except an assassin..! So, yes, if you ask me, NOT fair... IMHO they should have either kept the "no restrictions" thing going, or they should have 'doubled back' and made these types of restrictions for ALL races/classes..! (IE remove the ability for clerics to equip a bow)..!

All that being said, I did play the "retail" / "official" game from ~2008 - ~2012; so I am also very familiar with up to v145, as they were on v145 when I quit (retail) in 2012..! So I pretty much have a "soft spot" for ANY version between v126 (126 131 136 142 144) and up to v145... Anything after v145 and I personally think they started to go/get "crazy stupid ridiculous"... To name a few: reawakening, meridian, war card/avatar, reflection, being able to switch demon/sage (although I'm pretty sure they had that in 145 and before ) ~ there's just a LOT of "silly" stuff in the newer (and current retail) versions, if you ask me...! Even "homesteads", even "guild bases"... I'm sure, since it's officially a "free to play pay to win" game, that these things are likely sub par compared to other games with the same types of features of the same genre; that it's all just another way for them to keep milking this cash cow...! Ergo, they probably didn't put "full effort" into these features even, as they're just a way to make money for them! That is, their ONLY driving factor is income and revenue generation; not necessarily the actual quality of the actual content they create (again we can circle back to things like meridian and war card/avatar - heck even Genies [IMHO])...! So, bluntly put, I'm pretty sure they were/are at a point where they're just trying to compound more crap into the game just to keep people playing (and more importantly ~ cash shopping)! Some will like these things, some will not... I am definitely falling into the category of NOT... Because every now and then I do log back into retail just to see if anyone I used to play with still plays, or if at an event (like a LAN party) we will (for the nostalgia) log retail and go do something 'classic' like a TT(/HH)...

But as you can see, I've already started to go down that rabbit hole; just like Fluzzy was mentioning..! We could 'debate' this all day long...! But overall, this package is meant for people to "tinker" and LEARN with..! That is why all the different versions that I include, are included..! Honestly, and personally - I'd have to say out of ALL the different versions we have access to, the ones most "important" to me (regardless of whether I actually like them or not) [IE for archive purposes] would be (what's known as) v136 (which I think is actually 126 if I'm not mistaken, but obviously heavily modified to almost 'replicate' the early v1.4.x (up to genesis)... 131 (because the 131 in this release has the old school names from PW_MY), 145 because that's when I quit (which the closest thing in this release is 146), and 155 just because it's "newest"... So in terms of (to me) archival importance, or say like if I was going to actually make a physical (tangible) release available; it would focus on 131 136 146 155, because then that covers "lowest" "highest" and the "best two" in between..!

With all that out of the way, in terms of "just starting out"; I would (just like like Fluzzy said) recommend starting on v136... There's a few reasons v136 is the "base" package for this installation (that is, you actually HAVE to install v136 before any others)... First reason being, that's what I started with back when I joined this forum. Second reason is, I saw NO reason to basically do completely separate releases for all the different versions, as they seemed to "keep coming"... So a LOT of the NEEDED "base stuff" (like XAMPP for the website stuff) and all the MySQL, tomcat, libraries, and so on and so on; are ALL in v136... So that is why 136 MUST be installed first, and prior to any other "add on", as is in this release... So all those add on's are basically just "drop ins" of the new game server files alone... Because all the 'important' "BASE" stuff had already been installed with v136...

So my recommendation, at least from the server admin side/point of view; would be to start out with v136... As the versions go up, not only is there more "in game" but of course and by extension that makes the server side "that much more complex" as well

Once you "master" 136, or if all you really want to do is "tinker" game side (play), then go for whatever version you want! As I have tried to make this the best "all around" release for almost anything you could even want to do with it... Whether it's learn linux and or servers, or whether it's just tinker around and play the game (by yourself with family/friends/guild/etc), or if you wanted to dissect it (if or once you "know what you're doing") to make an actual "public" private server...! THAT being said, it is NOT designed to be a "production server" right out of the box... Could you use it for that? Sure if you really wanted to, but I highly doubt it's actually "secure enough" to do so

Since you played retail in or around '08, I would also reinforce the idea of starting out with v136, because that will also probably be the most familiar to you... If you jumped straight into something like v155, that would be (IMHO WAY too) overwhelming - even just as a "player"..! Not to mention the server side..!

Put it this way, there were enough 'significant' differences (server side) between 136- and 142/144+ that others "around here" and myself "pushed" for RZ to create the split sections (yea PW used to only be ONE section): "136-" and "144+"..! I can't even begin to actually get into what they all are/could be; but there are some pretty major differences between server and client: gshop files, various data files, etc... That operate completely different between "136-" and "144+"...!

So in my words; I'd say "do yourself a favor, and (at least) start out with v136" Then once you've "picked up" on things and learned a few things, then you can try out another one if you want In my (this) release, you are able to install ALL versions if you want, and you can even actually switch in between which one is "active", though ONLY ONE can be "active" at a time (for what should be obvious reasons)... Though if you *really* knew what you were doing (and had a beefy enough machine) you actually could run them all at the same time >.> I would NEVER actually recommend that, and you would probably need a machine with NO LESS than 512GB of RAM... But yea, there is a "service" I created called "pwversion", and it will allow you to chose which version out of any/all installed verion(s) to be "active" Though/although that is also something you should probably hold off on "tinkering" with until you've installed (just) v136 and "mastered" it

At any rate, I'm glad you're going to check it out ~ please feel free to leave any feedback; questions/comments/concerns/etc!!! This will likely be the LAST release/update I do for this package as, from what I have heard, the "leaks" will be "no more"... So I figured I would go out with a HUGE "bang" for this packages TEN year anniversary..!

I am actually still in the process of mirroring (taking an up to date mirror) of pwdatabase, and then once that is done "we" will actually be creating a torrent too; so to anyone and everyone out there, please contact me if you would like to help be a "primary" seeder of said torrent once everything is all ready for that !!!

¤ My Public Releases ¤

MemberRank
    Mar 2021 Join Date
    6Posts

I'm wondering how anyone would go about finding what's broken or fixing certain quests? I'm running the base 1.3.6 server from 18 March and generally this has been working great. A couple of things I've noticed though:
    * Client crashes a lot around shining tidewood area (where Master Bladescraftman is). No idea why but its pretty frequent and only in that location.
    * The quests like https://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/quest/21166 where you're "finished" with your fb19 reward wep, you're supposed to be able to exchange it for a charm at general summer. He'll give you the quest... but won't let you complete it. And you can't trash the quest either so its now stuck in my list forever. (Unless I can figure out how to edit active quests directly in gamedbd so I can remove it)
    * I have tried twice now to do RB Alpha - its content we just never got to experience in the official PW because there weren't enough lv 40-55 people and we didn't understand the game much then anyway, and its great fun. I only did it in official PW after reawakening, when it was then stupidly easy. So wanted to try it for real, this was one of the big things I wanted to set up my server for :) And the instance and the mobs and bosses all seem to work.. but twice now I've killed the wave 1 boss and the reward quest https://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/quest/21166 doesn't complete. No idea where to even start on what's wrong with this... but once I level up more I will tested RB Beta/Gamma/Delta to see if those work too.

True MemberRank
    Apr 2010 Join Date
    GermanyLocation
    1,387Posts

Can i have the PWp_18.MAR.2020 client files on a serious host ? Mega download limit is 4 GB ... And no, there is no way to get around this limit using mega downloader and other shit that dosnt work on mint
    C# Network Security Class for Sha256, Sha512, Md5 and Rijndael (PBKDF2) with passphrase for use in Unity3d CLICK HERE

Simple and easy (mass)-portchecker CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

The OmegaRank
    Oct 2009 Join Date
    Ancient DGN CTYLocation
    5,486Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel728 View Post
    I'm wondering how anyone would go about finding what's broken or fixing certain quests? I'm running the base 1.3.6 server from 18 March and generally this has been working great. A couple of things I've noticed though:
    * Client crashes a lot around shining tidewood area (where Master Bladescraftman is). No idea why but its pretty frequent and only in that location.
    * The quests like https://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/quest/21166 where you're "finished" with your fb19 reward wep, you're supposed to be able to exchange it for a charm at general summer. He'll give you the quest... but won't let you complete it. And you can't trash the quest either so its now stuck in my list forever. (Unless I can figure out how to edit active quests directly in gamedbd so I can remove it)
    * I have tried twice now to do RB Alpha - its content we just never got to experience in the official PW because there weren't enough lv 40-55 people and we didn't understand the game much then anyway, and its great fun. I only did it in official PW after reawakening, when it was then stupidly easy. So wanted to try it for real, this was one of the big things I wanted to set up my server for :) And the instance and the mobs and bosses all seem to work.. but twice now I've killed the wave 1 boss and the reward quest https://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/quest/21166 doesn't complete. No idea where to even start on what's wrong with this... but once I level up more I will tested RB Beta/Gamma/Delta to see if those work too.
    [obviously] I cannot 'keep up' with every 'quest' in the game (myself)... But, at least and if not for anything else - to demonstrate our capability of editing/adding/etc quests - I personally added some of the daily marriage quests (that were out at the time)... I did my best to duplicate / replicate some of the daily marriage quests directly from 'raw'/'scratch' - just by literally 'taking notes' from playing them out on the retail/official game, not even by copying them from the tasks.data at the time... I literally "played them out" to "copy" them into v136...

So even though I'd still say "v136 is still my favorite version", there's definitely no way/chance I'm going to be re-visiting it to add/remove/edit quests (sorry)... But, I hope you can find enough "info" to do so on your own by looking at the existing tasks.data, and not only the data that was actually there to start with, but all that data I have changed or added...

Your best bet is to literally sift through the tasks.data to 'learn' how various things can be done in there with/for quests..!

Quote Originally Posted by Zorno View Post
    Can i have the PWp_18.MAR.2020 client files on a serious host ? Mega download limit is 4 GB ... And no, there is no way to get around this limit using mega downloader and other shit that dosnt work on mint
    Sadly I don't have any "mirrors" for the clients as they're pretty way too huge... And mega does offer free 50GB accounts, so ONE account can hold ALL these clients..! I did mirror the server side stuff so it's on both Mega AND GDrive... Sadly GDrive free accounts are limited to 15GB, so I would have to almost literally create an account for each client - which seems too tedious to me! So maybe I will, maybe I wont (once things slow down for me)...

But, "we" do plan on creating a torrent for the whole package! Including my newest HTTrack mirror of pwdatabase

Which in order to remain successful is going to NEED people to seed it... I am hoping to find people who will dedicate themselves to helping us 'seed' "the whole thing" (not just the parts they want/need)...

¤ My Public Releases ¤

MemberRank
    Apr 2021 Join Date
    13Posts

I want just to make an update on that pwAdmin issue.
    It wasnt the browser. (edge sucks indeed)
    Works on Firefox and chrome in the same way.
    By reading this and other topics in the forum i found out how to make it work perfectly.
    The problem was in the number of CPU that you set (in vbox or VM). Probably this error wont happen in a dedicated server.
    If 1cpu is set, it just doesnt work at all, even if the server runs perfectly.
    If 2 are set, pwAdmin works
    If 3 or higher cpu are set, pwAdmin works even faster, but i got crashes after 1hour running. (probably due to my computer hardware)

AMD Ryzen 5 3500
    16GB ram
    GTX 1070
    b450m motherboard

Hope it help someone if this issue pops up.

The OmegaRank
    Oct 2009 Join Date
    Ancient DGN CTYLocation
    5,486Posts

That would indeed explain why I've never had an issue! As I always (actually) run it on a dedicated machine (and ONLY use a VM to build the package pretty much, and quick preliminary testing before putting it on the dedicated)...!!

¤ My Public Releases ¤

True MemberRank
    Feb 2011 Join Date
    127.0.0.1Location
    385Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zorno View Post
    I can seed this for a couple of days. If this is of use?
    CLIENT(S) - PWp_18.MAR.2020.torrent.zip

True MemberRank
    Apr 2010 Join Date
    GermanyLocation
    1,387Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sora1984 View Post
    I can seed this for a couple of days. If this is of use?
    CLIENT(S) - PWp_18.MAR.2020.torrent.zip
    It is

Quote Originally Posted by 343 View Post
    But, "we" do plan on creating a torrent for the whole package! Including my newest HTTrack mirror of pwdatabase

Which in order to remain successful is going to NEED people to seed it... I am hoping to find people who will dedicate themselves to helping us 'seed' "the whole thing" (not just the parts they want/need)...
    Currently loading the above torrent with my seedbox, so it will be seeding afterwards for at least the next 6 month (maybe longer)
    C# Network Security Class for Sha256, Sha512, Md5 and Rijndael (PBKDF2) with passphrase for use in Unity3d CLICK HERE

The OmegaRank
    Oct 2009 Join Date
    Ancient DGN CTYLocation
    5,486Posts

Excellent - good to see everyone helping each other out ~ official torrent coming really soon™ !!!

¤ My Public Releases ¤

True MemberRank
    Apr 2010 Join Date
    GermanyLocation
    1,387Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 343 View Post
    Excellent - good to see everyone helping each other out ~ official torrent coming really soon™ !!!
    When you tell me how much GB (or TB) you need to seed i can setup another seedbox where i can give you (via pm) full access to when its set up. My current only has 100 GB and is almost full (with assets for unity and the clients from torrent above).
    Still have a HP DL380 sitting here which i could setup for this as its too old to been used for anything else (just 2x Xeon with only 1MB Cache and 12GB ram so not enough for a gameserver )

True MemberRank
    Nov 2013 Join Date
    Wisconsin, USLocation
    319Posts

I will load up and seed while I am working during the day.
    Benefits me as well seeing as i need to do some troubleshooting on my network as it drops and we need to reset the modem while we are gone for 8+ hours a day so its a win win! (Stupid spectrum/comcast)

MemberRank
    Mar 2021 Join Date
    6Posts

Found problems with bounty hunter quests now too (in base 1.3.6 package). At lv 40-49 the bh29 Qs worked perfectly, now am 50-59 it gave me a BH1+BH2 only, so BH3 is missing and when I tried to hand them in, I can only hand in BH1... BH2 is stuck in my quest log completed and the head hunter NPC won't accept it.

I see the head hunter NPCs in other cities (like Plume) aren't there so I am guessing all the BH quests are something that you also back-ported from newer PWI versions into the older 1.3.6?

Surprised others aren't running into stuff like this?

Advertisement