Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Should FlyFF servers still use PHP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Considering the fact that FlyFF servers are run on Windows, wouldn't it be logical if this FlyFF community and the surrounding servers migrate to ASP.NET? All it would take is for the FlyFF community to actually learn ASP.NET, at least some basics so they're not completely stupid, and to migrate to IIS, which would be better than using WAMP or XAMPP. Plus, it could be a boost in security, given the fact that we would be using IIS, and another language, which offers .

Discuss?

While this thread is live, I'm going to be using a released design to migrate it to ASP.NET and release it most likely.

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Well, that's what i'm using, in fact.
ASPX.NET is easy, because it's like C# with html.
and it has a large Bosst on security, aswell, aspx.net is made to run with mssql, so it is more easy to make a flyff website in asp/x.net

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
What if I have a Linux webserver separated from the server just for host the website and forums :>

The reason why PHP is used is because it's simple.

Understood.

The majority of servers, most likely, have their server and website hosted on the same machine, which could lead them to use WAMP or XAMPP, which are both to be considered insecure. IIS would replace such a thing, but then you have to deal with PHP's insecurity. I think that it would do the community better if they would migrate or at least learn about ASP.NET (C#). As they learn C#, they get a greater understanding of .NET, and C++ if the user decides to go into it. I may be thinking too deep in what could happen with the community learning more .NET, but it's probably for the better.

0xC0FFEE
Loyal Member
Reaction score
There's really no arguments to migrate to ASP.NET besides the performance boost.
Prepared statements and nearly all other techniques available on ASP.NET is available on PHP as well.
Some servers simply don't have the skills but those who have are already planning or in the middle of migrating to ASP.NET.
Problem is that the migration will take time, even for one server as there is a lot to be done and even more that needs planning.
If you're making a website system, planning is key and not something to be taken lightly upon.

Flyff Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm probably one of the few people that has a flyff server that is using IIS for the webserver. Although I do recommend people to use it, they usually use WAMP or XAMPP.

I've thought about using ASP.NET, but I really just haven't taken the time to learn it (PHP is so much easier to get into, since it's very similar to C).

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
There's really no arguments to migrate to ASP.NET besides the performance boost.
Prepared statements and nearly all other techniques available on ASP.NET is available on PHP as well.
Some servers simply don't have the skills but those who have are already planning or in the middle of migrating to ASP.NET.
Problem is that the migration will take time, even for one server as there is a lot to be done and even more that needs planning.
If you're making a website system, planning is key and not something to be taken lightly upon.

I think is the only solution to using prepared statements when dealing with MsSQL. MySQL has PDO, as well as MySQLi.

I agree with "planning is key" 100%. I'll be honest. I haven't looked in ASP.NET as much as I should, but from what I know about it, it's powerful and can be used to accomplish clean, organized, and fast code. When dealing with websites, it seems this section only knows how to deal with PHP or, of course, HTML/CSS. I think I've seen only one ASP.NET FlyFF website, but I believe it's long gone by now. If the people in this section actually were introduced to ASP.NET websites, which I may attempt to produce and release, they might take the time to learn the language and adapt to it, and hopefully other users would contribute and release their own scripts, which may lead to the users in this section to know the basics of C#. Once they know the basics of C#, maybe this section can actually experience different users releasing programs and tools.
Just my point of view. Maybe I went too deep in my train of thought.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm probably one of the few people that has a flyff server that is using IIS for the webserver. Although I do recommend people to use it, they usually use WAMP or XAMPP.

I've thought about using ASP.NET, but I really just haven't taken the time to learn it (PHP is so much easier to get into, since it's very similar to C).

Hell no.

@on topic: A properly set up WAMP stack will work just as well as an ASP.NET solution security-wise and performance-wise, all that matters is your experience in the platform and if got the functionality you want.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I haven't looked in ASP.NET as much as I should, but from what I know about it, it's powerful and can be used to accomplish clean, organized, and fast code.

Nothing more to say. I work with ASP.NET on a daily basis (I'm not so advanced though), and this could be working quite well, using Linq2Sql/NHibernate/Other ORM's for database interaction.

However, how many are willing to switch to ASP.NET when they're running a site using PHP just fine? I wonder if small servers would even consider it.

Looking forward to see a release from you!

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Nothing more to say. I work with ASP.NET on a daily basis (I'm not so advanced though), and this could be working quite well, using Linq2Sql/NHibernate/Other ORM's for database interaction.

However, how many are willing to switch to ASP.NET when they're running site using PHP just fine? I wonder if small servers would even consider it.

Looking forward to see a release from you!
I will relase my aspx.net website once i finish the other one..
As well using IIS7.5 will reduct the ddos atacks, so this is VERY good.

• ♠️​ ♦️ ♣️ ​♥️ •
Reaction score
independent of all answers above me:
i programed php for 2 - 3 years already, and my last project was a huge flyff site in php. i still made many mistakes due the fact php is a script language, its harder to setup a good mvp or three tier concept with a script language, php even hadnt OOP last year or some, so how can u create concepts on a pure script language? xD
now ive to learn ASP.NET in my company and i rly started to understand what microsoft is rly doing there. even if those webcontrols steal my freedom to edit any piece of html, even if my site will be JS dependent, microsoft did a good job with the 2nd version of ASP, specially after they understand not everybody is using IE. they provide a transitional xhtml that is fully valid and the .NET is a strong aspect of the system. it allows me to program my domain objects, my business logics, my data access logics in any .net language (c#, f#, vb, c++, etc.) and i can just program a GUI in ASP (website) or in any of those languages as winform, its fully compatible and provides a strict model of object handling.
interesting is u dont need to care all the tiny bunch anymore. for example form validation. u kno if u got a form u let submit by the user, in php u must validate the inputs on the next site per hand, prolly u can do it in JS and PHP to give JS users a faster respond, lol ASP.NET pwns on that, i just add an validation web control in the html (that will be run on the server), and it adds my JS validation code and my validation process on the server once i press Submit. its all done already, i dont need to repeat it anywhere, i dont need always to code it myself, it keeps me away of silly errors, specially errors PHP wouldnt alert, ASP.NET got a strict policeman (.NET), thats why to get hidden errors is rly hard in any case.
so i shouldnt use PHP anymore, not even for site-only projects!

Flyff Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score
@VibeTribe: Thank you for that. I actually don't know much about ASP.NET, and that right there is an excellent description of how it can be better than PHP.

And although adding you're own Javascript form validation isn't hard (I should know, I've done it before), it can be quite time consuming, cause you have to manually add it to every form on the website.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
PHP was based on and derived from the C language, so yes, it is too similar >.>

Have you ever looked at a piece of C code?

PHP looks much more like Perl, not C. :glare:

As for bases, pretty much everything that uses { } for block delimiters, including Perl, PHP, Java, C#, C++ got ideas from C.

If you're meaning that it uses the C library, well, yes, of course. Like easily ~95% of the code in the world, as its often the kernel's API language.

P.S. Perl is a wonderful language. Unlike PHP. (imho)

And although adding you're own Javascript form validation isn't hard (I should know, I've done it before), it can be quite time consuming, cause you have to manually add it to every form on the website.

Wait. How is writing a function call time consuming? :huh:

Flyff Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Wait. How is writing a function call time consuming? :huh:

Not all forms need the exact same validation. Usernames need to be checked for special characters, some fields have length requirements (not all of which are the same), email fields need to verify that it's actually an email address that was submitted, etc.

Also, when did I ever say that PHP was exactly like C? (which is what you seem to be implying)

I'm simply saying there are similarities. PHP even has a lot of the same functions as C (sprintf stuff for string manipulation, the file handing with fopen and other functions, etc.)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Not all forms need the exact same validation. Usernames need to be checked for special characters, some fields have length requirements (not all of which are the same), email fields need to verify that it's actually an email address that was submitted, etc.

Looks like 2 functions maximum to me. + a few CSS classes. :$:

EDIT:
Also, when did I ever say that PHP was exactly like C? (which is what you seem to be implying)

I'm simply saying there are similarities. PHP even has a lot of the same functions as C (sprintf stuff for string manipulation, the file handing with fopen and other functions, etc.)
Well...
...it is too similar...
...since it's very similar to C...

For me, very similar is much more that function names. :laugh:

Last edited:
• ♠️​ ♦️ ♣️ ​♥️ •
Reaction score
@VibeTribe: Thank you for that. I actually don't know much about ASP.NET, and that right there is an excellent description of how it can be better than PHP..
yw.

its kinda reasonable why php is more like perl, perl is made with C and bash, while php is made with perl.

MsSQL has PDO as well...
PDO is a common interface for many database types, sadly its not very good still. there are still dependents, its hard to code fully supported SQL for all database types.
a good example is the missing LIMIT attribut in MSSQL many ppl cry about, me too tbh ... xD

P.S. Perl is a wonderful language. Unlike PHP. (imho)
i agree, and it wont be changed in any case.
lol i remember my 4 weeks perl crash course, i had never so much fun on learning a language like that.
specially i was building a manager application with the Tk module (for a window GUI) from the cpan. ^^

Last edited:
0xC0FFEE
Loyal Member
Reaction score
PDO is a common interface for many database types, sadly its not very good still. there are still dependents, its hard to code fully supported SQL for all database types.
a good example is the missing LIMIT attribut in MSSQL many ppl cry about, me too tbh ... xD

Writing interchangeable SQL is really retarded though, and further from that the SQL languages are different, which isn't even a problem, there are no problems with PDO.

I strongly suggest that you actually try PDO and fully understand it before you go off on a tangent saying it's not good, then as an example you point out something completely obvious such as that MySQL has other commands than MsSQL...
Of course they are different, they are DIFFERENT query languages.

• ♠️​ ♦️ ♣️ ​♥️ •
Reaction score
I strongly suggest that you actually try PDO and fully understand it before you go off on a tangent saying it's not good, then as an example you point out something completely obvious such as that MySQL has other commands than MsSQL...
Of course they are different, they are DIFFERENT query languages.

lol, i used PDO a while. ofc it has even strong aspects, like the preparing statements and the auto escaping of inputs to avoid injections.

but results shown, PDO is slow. to validate my inputs its running faster by simply throwing inputs into static validation class methods instead of fully using PDO.

to be able to prepare statements, i would use mysqli instead of mysql.
in case of mssql, i would use sqlsrv functions (not mssql, its outdated). it even supports all u need.
transactions/commits included lol.

there are just two good points why ppl should use PDO instead of providing regular database drivers:
- the independent fact of SQL... i agree its dump to think this is a good point, but actually its a reason for me (hard but possible if u spend much time to care about SQL differences and handle them), however it mostly fails on that. SQL isnt made for that like u said.
- you dont need to learn other functions if u switch the database, the rewriting is even faster

so in conclusion, if u need an application that uses more database types (like a cms where the user says which db type he/she wants), or if u are simply lazy and just want to learn PDO functions (unneccessary, most functions are almost the same named, you got references), its fine to use PDO, if u can live with the lost speed tho. ;)

(even if my application uses 2 different database types, i would rather build two data access layers instead of switching to PDO, tbh)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back