Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

EBM/ECH Import/Export scripts for 3ds Max

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Download:

Set-up:
  1. Copy these scripts (including the \startup\ folder) to
    Code:
    ${ACCOUNT_NAME}\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\${MAX_VERSION}\ENU\scripts\
  2. Restart 3dsMax so that it runs the custom ui script.

Requirements:
  • 3ds Max 2010 or newer.

Unsupported features:
  • Animations for models with magic key of 0x3EF03 or higher. The animation list will still be populated, but no keys will be generated.
  • Animation exporting works, but it's just a tiny bit funky. I'll look into why the animations are a little different and will fix it soon.

Usage notes:
  • To import an EBM/ECH, click the "Open..." button in the EBM properties panel (the one docked to the right with the Forge logo at the top).
  • To export an EBM/ECH, click the "Save..." button in the EBM properties panel.
  • You must complete all of the header information displayed in the EBM properties panel. You will get an error when exporting if you don't provide values for each attribute, or you provide an incorrect value (ie. not adding a '%' after the scale).
  • If your model contains bones, they MUST be assigned to a "Skin" modifier attached to at least the first mesh in your scene. The importer will automatically create this modifier and the exporter will read from this modifier if it exists.
  • If you want custom normals for your model, you need to add an "Edit Normals" modifier and store the normals there. The importer will automatically create this modifier and the exporter will read from this modifier if it exists.
  • All meshes need to be of the Editable_Mesh type. If your meshes aren't in this format, just select each mesh in turn, right-click the viewport, go to "Convert to:" and select "Convert to Editable Mesh".
  • Check "Export only mesh?" in the EBM options of the Forge toolbox in 3dsMax to only export the currently-selected mesh. This is useful if you want to create or share custom armour. The resulting .cmesh file can then be added directly to any ECH, or used to replace an existing piece of armour.
  • Cabal uses a different coordinate system from 3ds Max. To see how you need to orient your models, use existing Cabal models as references.

If you have any issues with or suggestions for these scripts, feel free to reply to this thread.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
In 3DS MAX 2012 it seems that i cannot export the EBM file. I can export cmesh whilst pressing the export mesh only, but even EBMs that are imported cannot be re-exported. I am using 64 bit 3DS max 2012.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
There's no error, it says "EBM Successfully exported" Then when i save, it saves it in cmesh format. But if i uncheck "export mesh only" it will not save at all, even though it says that it saved.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
here's the pastebin:

I first exported the ebm normally, it didn't save, next i exported "Mesh only" It exported. (But as cmesh)

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Can anyone else confirm that this doesn't work on 2012? I only have 2014.
I'm about to attempt it on 2013.

His issue is that when he exports the EBM, no file is saved.

Doesn't work for me either, same issue. 3ds 2013 64bit

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
It's not working on 2012 or 2013.

We load the 3ds scene, select the model, click the save button on the ebm export panel, and export the file. When you go to the location that the file was supposed to save too, it's not there.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
You don't need to select the model if you're saving the entire thing. You only need to do that if you're just exporting a single mesh.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Mmm alright but either way export...

We've tried variation of ways, just in case haha...

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm not sure why it's not working on 2012/13 when it works on 2010/14... I'll see if I can sort something out.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm not sure why it's not working on 2012/13 when it works on 2010/14... I'll see if I can sort something out.
Scotty seems to think it's because we're running 64bit 3ds max...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
want to come on my teamviewer? So you can see what's actually happening?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
A small fix to those who export "succesfully", but the file is not created. Replace in "export_ebm_cabal.ms" this line:
Code:
	types:"Cabal Model Files|*.ebm;*.ech"
with
Code:
 	types:"Cabal Model Files EBM|*.ebm|Cabal Model Files ECH|*.ech"

It's just a temporary fix...

Last edited:
Back