Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

io_scene_gzrs2 - Blender 4.1+ Map & Model Importer/Exporter

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Last but not least, I'm proud to announce that GunZ 2 scene hierarchies can now be fully traversed and loaded. With time we'll be able to open retail .mrf files and access all the content from the latest version of the game, but for now, a nearly complete version of Mansion 2 is accessible from the Changzu leak, including geometry, textures, materials, lights and more!
such a great presentation makes want more , but then you read it to end and realise its just marketing a tool whats amazing, but miss the feature, we have to pay , jk. . but is it because of the language barrier, but after reading everything. my thoughts are bouncing between the two.. is this program already crossing the Gunz 2 maps with Gunz 1 according to some publicly indicated method, without that ugly force as external sources separately, hasn't anyone already managed to get enough information with this and others so that you could actually read through those maps without following the rules , or is the rs3 data still not decrypted or is it difficult to fake target with some virtual mask that imitates and emulation pass .rs-exc check,
i.e. even if you build a customized .rs extension, i.e. someone so-called (custom fake .rs) ending ".r5" which only knows how to manage what rs3 and the current situation lacks?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
such a great presentation makes want more , but then you read it to end and realise its just marketing a tool whats amazing, but miss the feature, we have to pay
This is a free plugin for a free modelling program.

is this program already crossing the Gunz 2 maps with Gunz 1 according to some publicly indicated method, without that ugly force as external sources separately, hasn't anyone already managed to get enough information with this and others so that you could actually read through those maps without following the rules
This isn't just a model viewer. Specifically, this update enables parsing scene.xml, prop.xml and .cl2 files. I am not aware of any other Blender plugin that does this for GunZ 2 content.

or is the rs3 data still not decrypted or is it difficult to fake target with some virtual mask that imitates and emulation pass .rs-exc check,
i.e. even if you build a customized .rs extension, i.e. someone so-called (custom fake .rs) ending ".r5" which only knows how to manage what rs3 and the current situation lacks?
I don't really understand what you're referring to. As I mentioned, I'm not aware of any method to decrypt retail GunZ 2 .mrf files and have no plans to emulate or fake any parts of the GunZ 2 runnable. For now, this is simply an importer to load data from the leaked versions of GunZ 2.

Reaction score
Been working on v0.9.1 on and off over the last few months and I'm gearing up for a release again, so here are a few updates...

The .col import code used to output all the geometry at every node in the entire tree, resulting in a massive polygon soup.
With this update, non-hull geometry is now discarded and I've come up with a recipe to help cleanup the geometry to resemble something closer to it's source.

It's not perfect, the BSP cutting process is one-way after all, so you'll still find holes and overlapping faces here and there. Luckily, the plugin can at least get things to a human readable and configurable state.

Backend management has improved significantly with cached calls to resources, improving performance and preventing duplicates. Now when you load a map or model, most if not all images, image texture nodes and material slots will be neatly sorted and linked. No more massive chains of ".001, .002, .003" duplicates and some issues with negative material indexes have been resolved as well.

GunZ 1 lightmaps will not only receive support, but also quality improvements! DeffJay and I are cooking up a client patch to fix lightmap bugs and add support for DXT compression. I've already been using Blender to bake and export high quality lightmaps as large as 8k and hope to provide integration support for any private server wishing to make the upgrade.

Last but not least, I'm proud to announce that GunZ 2 scene hierarchies can now be fully traversed and loaded. With time we'll be able to open retail .mrf files and access all the content from the latest version of the game, but for now, a nearly complete version of Mansion 2 is accessible from the Changzu leak, including geometry, textures, materials, lights and more!

Ngl the collision update is huge and would be a great help to fast tweak/fix current custom maps to make some a bit smoother as they currently are.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Updated to v0.9.1
  • NEW: GunZ 2 scene.xml, prop.xml and .cl2 support
  • NEW: GunZ 1 .lm support, both import and export
  • NEW: Experimental .col cleanup recipe
  • Improved .col import discards non-hull geometry
  • Improved resource caching reduces load times
  • Improved material logic prevents unnecessary duplicates
  • Fixed issues with negative material IDs in GunZ 2 .elus
  • Fixed issues with white halos on alpha textures in render mode (Town)
Notes on exporting lightmaps...
  • requires an existing .lm file to overwrite
  • requires an active mesh object with valid UVs in channel 3
  • requires a GunZ 1 .rs file for the same map in the same directory
  • the experimental "version 4" fixes bugs and adds DXT1 support (thanks to DeffJay)
    • version 4 lightmaps take less space and load faster, resolutions up to 8k are now feasible
    • they require client changes and do not work with vanilla GunZ
    • contact me for information on how to implement this
230811 gzrs2factorybake - io_scene_gzrs2 - Blender 4.1+ Map & Model Importer/Exporter - RaGEZONE Forums
230811 gzrs2havenbake - io_scene_gzrs2 - Blender 4.1+ Map & Model Importer/Exporter - RaGEZONE Forums

Minor changes were added for a last minute atlasing bug and some custom map hotfixes. Please re-download the v0.9.1 package if you have it.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Updated to v0.9.1
  • the experimental "version 4" fixes bugs and adds DXT1 support (thanks to DeffJay)
    • version 4 lightmaps take less space and load faster, resolutions up to 8k are now feasible

Minor changes were added for a last minute atlasing bug and some custom map hotfixes. Please re-download the v0.9.1 package if you have it.
Excellent job! Do you have an ETA on elu exporting?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Another minor update fixes a color clipping issue causing green-shifting around bright spots. Please re-download the v0.9.1 package again, sorry.

This only affects the appearance of newly imported lightmaps and doesn't affect any lightmaps you may have already baked and exported yourself.

Cannot wait where the .col functions for custom maps. :) so I can start cleaning up maps.
Excellent job! Do you have an ETA on elu exporting?

No ETA but, .elu export will likely come first between the two since I plan to write my own BSP compiler for .rs and .col files.

-snip-

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Another minor update fixes a color clipping issue causing green-shifting around bright spots. Please re-download the v0.9.1 package again, sorry.

This only affects the appearance of newly imported lightmaps and doesn't affect any lightmaps you may have already baked and exported yourself.

No ETA but, .elu export will likely come first between the two since I plan to write my own BSP compiler for .rs and .col files.

Aug 27, 2023

Updated to v0.9.2
  • NEW: .elu version 0x0 and 0x11 import support
  • NEW: .elu export support
  • Elu meshes now support multiple material slots
  • Elu meshes now include cloth physics data as color attributes
  • Elu materials now include...
    • empty texture nodes for missing textures
    • value nodes for material ID, sub-material ID and sub-material count
    • RGB nodes for ambient, diffuse and specular colors
  • Elu logging now includes extra min/max information for some fields
  • Users are now warned if an .rs, .elu, .col or .lm file has bytes remaining after a successful read
  • Naming conventions are a bit tidier
OMG I LOVE YOU

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Aug 27, 2023

Updated to v0.9.2
  • NEW: .elu version 0x0 and 0x11 import support
  • NEW: .elu export support
  • Elu meshes now support multiple material slots
  • Elu meshes now include cloth physics data as color attributes
  • Elu materials now include...
    • empty texture nodes for missing textures
    • value nodes for material ID, sub-material ID and sub-material count
    • RGB nodes for ambient, diffuse and specular colors
  • Elu logging now includes extra min/max information for some fields
  • Users are now warned if an .rs, .elu, .col or .lm file has bytes remaining after a successful read
  • Naming conventions are a bit tidier

Aug 30, 2023

• Fixed a divide by zero, a type correction for flat normals and a check for empty material slots
  • Added notes on how texture paths are handled

Oct 17, 2023

Minor update to v0.9.2.1

• Experimental: compiled C library adds multithreading support during lightmap export
    • compiler -> gcc
    • triplet -> x86_64-w64-mingw32
    • should automatically catch and fallback to Python if anything goes wrong
  • Smarter and faster texture search now successfully finds even more textures
  • Fix for invalid xml textures (Snow Town)
  • Other minor fixes and tweaks

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Updated to v0.9.1

Keep the good work (y), this looks wonderful comparison. !!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
March 29, 2024

Updated to v0.9.3 - "The GunZ 2 Retail Update"
  • NEW: Blender 4.1 support!
  • NEW: GunZ 2 retail .elu import support! 0x5012, 0x5013 and 0x5014
    • Not guaranteed to work with RaiderZ content
  • Fixed a hang when loading some .elus without logging enabled
  • Fixed return handling for .elu versions < 0x500D
  • Split upward directory search limits
  • Other minor bug fixes

Known Issue
  • GunZ 2: materials do not support composition layers yet (weird colored terrain)

Current Todo List
  • Embedded scene hierarchies (found models with lights attached directly to them)
  • Texture composition layers (terrain)
  • Fix rotations of directional lights (quaternion shenanigans)
  • Refactor material export workflow
  • Make a tutorial video for from-scratch custom outfits

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
March 29, 2024

Updated to v0.9.3 - "The GunZ 2 Retail Update"
  • NEW: Blender 4.1 support!
  • NEW: GunZ 2 retail .elu import support! 0x5012, 0x5013 and 0x5014
    • Not guaranteed to work with RaiderZ content
  • Fixed a hang when loading some .elus without logging enabled
  • Fixed return handling for .elu versions < 0x500D
  • Split upward directory search limits
  • Other minor bug fixes

Known Issue
  • GunZ 2: materials do not support composition layers yet (weird colored terrain)

Current Todo List
  • Embedded scene hierarchies (found models with lights attached directly to them)
  • Texture composition layers (terrain)
  • Fix rotations of directional lights (quaternion shenanigans)
  • Refactor material export workflow
  • Make a tutorial video for from-scratch custom outfits
Maaaaan, you the GOAT.

Reaction score
  • quest map .rs mesh imported some data but no visual meshes like normal maps
  • quest map collision can be imported
  • quest map .elu's can be imported
  • custom map meshes can be loaded, collsion won't be imported (probably cause of how gtkradiant maps are being generated)

(I checked all the quest maps btw)

Back