Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Development] OpenSource MuOnline Client/Server remake

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi again, this was the first thread I created a while ago, http://forum.ragezone.com/f508/mu-online-client-server-remake-988861/

FAQ:

Q: What is this?
A: This is an open source project, it tries to recreate the basic aspect and mechanics used in the original game.

Q: Why is it open source?
A: Why not?

Q: Is it going to be finished some day?
A: I don't know, I'm not going to do it but someone could...

Q: Can i use just the client with the original mu server?
A: since i haven't created a mu before, I decided not to implement the same protocol. i'm kind of familiar with it, I reversed it years ago just for fun, but i have never had a server in my life (Don't even care...),
so the answer is no, you can't.

Q: What can i do with this?
A: Since ALL the dependencies are open source, there is no limit...
Well, just one, your imagination :elefant:.

Q: Got any videos?
A: this was the last one:

Q: Was this the original project?
A: Nope, I had to create a new small and robust graphic engine oriented to directcompute integration for image processing and signal analysis, I used ogre source as base and I built the game using that. But it was bad as hell, performance was quite bad, and I had to create a lot of shaders (DirectX 11 can't use the fixed pipeline so...), and I don't have time to create shaders :/
So, I decided to use Ogre (Directx 9.0c) instead, and, since Ogre has MIT licence, so should the client!
That's why it is open source!

Q: How long did it take?
A: Using the Ogre engine, from august until today, 1 hour a day average.

Q: Why did you make the server in C# and the client in C++?
A: Why not?

Q: Finally, is this an alpha release?
A: not even alpha...

Now, what you want:

and now, what you need:

INSTRUCTIONS, HOW TO BUILD

Step 1, install all .NET Frameworks. (including client profiles) and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) and (x64)

Step 2, install DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)

Step 3, install mysql workbech (Visual C++ Redistributable 2013 and .NET 4 client profile needed, according to oracle)

Step 4, download dependencies, boost and media.

Dependencies:

Boost:

Media:

Step 5, extract dep, boost and media in MuOnline folder. (uncompressed boost is about 3gb)

Step 6, open mysql workbench, open root connection, go to Server->Data Import, and select muonline.sql (located in DataBase folder, Dirac server, this should restore the db, it's quite empty but dirac needs it!.)

Step 7, open Dirac solution (vs 10 or 12/13), build it, open config.ini, in the [DataBaseConfig] section, write your user and password

Step 8, Open MU.sln, select release config, second click in the solution, REBUILD ALL. (could take a few minutes or several hours).
note: you can build also the debug version, but the framerate will be very low.
note2: the default option when rebuilding the solution is to create the precompiler headers, to change that, select "Use precompiler headers" and build again.

Step 9, Now, run dirac server (debug or release, whatever) and then, run MegaProjectNative (run it from vs) and you are done ;)

Requisites: There are no requisites, you can take this code and use it the way you want. However, you should add the OGRE logo, for example, in the credits.

GM-Andromeda - [Development] OpenSource MuOnline Client/Server remake - RaGEZONE Forums

Acknowledgements: Karli, he spent some time on this too
GM-Andromeda - [Development] OpenSource MuOnline Client/Server remake - RaGEZONE Forums

If you have questions:

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I compiled it in my notebook following the steps, so I confirm this works.
good job, gordo pete

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Good job! Keep going... I would play Mu Online using ur client. Awsome work.

I have no time for research so i have question. Did u use original Mu Online protocol or ur own?

Don't be a hater
Reaction score
Good job! Keep going... I would play Mu Online using ur client. Awsome work.

I have no time for research so i have question. Did u use original Mu Online protocol or ur own?

You don't need research just read the thread!

Q: Can i use just the client with the original mu server?
A: since i haven't created a mu before, I decided not to implement the same protocol. i'm kind of familiar with it, I reversed it years ago just for fun, but i have never had a server in my life (Don't even care...),
so the answer is no, you can't.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! Nice to see this in public! =)

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
If everyone in this community would be like you (sharing his hard work as opensource) we could take MU to a greater level than WebZen ever did...
Thanks for sharing this is awesome!

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
How Do I Turn To? Not Got Much to Explanation On Topic.
Someone Could Make A Video Lesson In How to Run (Run)?

Note: I'm using Google Translate!

Reaction score
Andromeda and anyone else interesed what about we bring everyone togheter and try to create something. I am mostly php/mysql programmer so can't help much except website and servers for the game. We could open a kickstarter project and market it a little i think a lot of people will be interesed to donate so we can make a proper remake of the game or create a new game based on the same principles.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score

I've made specification like this for GMAndromeda before. Maybe that can work as a starting point.

Back