Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

MU Online Coding - What Are The Basic Requirements?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
For those of you guys who code for MU, what are some of the requirements that must be learned to code for MU?

Lets say you want to do add features to your server files like custom events, party matching, customized commands etc.

What are some things that must be learned? C++, scripting? Also what are some good server files that are good to experiment and tweak around with to learn? I know only basic programming like javascript, java and some python, what else will be useful knowledge?

Reaction score
The Mu Server sources are pure C/C++. What I've learnt along these years, like Kiosani said, you need to learn OOP for C/C++, Assembly, OpenGL and you need a lot of patience as the sources can be very tricky to be understand. Use breakpoints to see the live data in functions and variables and run your compiled build in Debug mode. Of course, take a look into the files and try understanding what those functions are doing and play with the data and see the results.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
@zipper20032 so it's possible to run GameServer source in Debug in VS, then connect to the server and use breakpoints?
Did not have time to try this yet but I assumed that could be possible )) can you confirm?

Upvote 0
Reaction score
zipper20032 so it's possible to run GameServer source in Debug in VS, then connect to the server and use breakpoints?Did not have time to try this yet but I assumed that could be possible )) can you confirm?
Yes, yes. It is possible. I'm doing this all the time when I wanna see the data from specific variables. Just change the VS to Debug mode and make sure you edit project settings in General tab to make the executable inside the GameServer folder in Mu Server Files so it can compile, build and start the built executable with the configs inside the folder. Also, I think the General tab in Linker must point to the same directory as the executable path, where you build it, for symbol files.

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thank you so much for responses everyone!!

So from my understanding C and C++ are basically the same thing but C++ implements OOP while C does not? But its the same syntax etc?

Upvote 0
Reaction score
Yeah. C is a procedural programming language while C++ is a combination actually of both procedural and object oriented.
C does support "classes", but those are called "struct" and you can't inherit the struct or anything similar to classes in C++, but you can do a struct of struct.

Exemple:
Code:
//This is C
//Base struct
struct Game{
    int player_id;
    int player_hp;

}

//Child struct
struct AnotherGame{
   Game anotherGame;
}

which is "similar" to this

Code:
// This is C++ 
//Base class
class Game
{
   public:
            int player_id;
            int player_hp;
}

//Child class
class AnotherGame : public Game
{
       public:
               int player_id_anotherGame;
}

You can access Game class from the AnotherGame class, cause the Child class(AnotherGame) is inheriting the Base class(Game).
That's the closest you can get in C to inheritance of classes.

Upvote 0
Back