Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Running HKO Server on 64 bit Windows 10

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
@hummy and I have been working on getting the server up and running. While we haven't gotten the client to connect yet, we HAVE gotten it to run on 32 bit Windows. This got me thinking, what if we use the same method, but on 64 bit Windows? With some tweaking, it worked!

Here's how you do it:

1) Download Server software from

2) Extract 92404 version

3) Install MySQL 5.0.91 from here: MAKE SURE TO CHOOSE THE 32 BIT MSI.

4) When you configure the MySQL server, keep everything normal, except make sure to select ANONYMOUS ACCOUNT. We need the Anonymous account to make everything functional (You can always reconfigure later if you miss it).

5) In MySQL Server (either through dbeaver or cmd), create a database called "hko" without the quotation marks. There are plenty of guides online on how to do this.

6) Restore this SQL file in the hko database:

NOTE: If this doesn't work, follow the dbeaver instructions here:
http://forum.ragezone.com/f541/running-hko-server-64-bit-1192737-post9054440/#post9054440

7) Now, we are going to edit the config file.
7a) Go into the Server software folder, there should be a file called config.xml​
7b) Open it in your favorite text/code editor and edit the first part to look like the following:

NwWsd5M - Running HKO Server on 64 bit Windows 10 - RaGEZONE Forums

EDIT: If you want the client to connect locally, use port 35000

8) Then, find <LOGINSERVICE> and change it from 0 to 1

zhongtiao1 - Running HKO Server on 64 bit Windows 10 - RaGEZONE Forums
9) Run the HKO_server.exe executable, grab a cup of coffee, make dinner, and maybe it will have finished loading by then :D

10) Congrats! The server is up and running!

11) Any questions? Feel free to ask!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End Notes:

There's something wrong with the server in that it can't understand usernames and passwords, that's why we use an anonymous account. I have not tried MySQL versions from 5.1 to 5.5, but as long as they support anonymous accounts, they should work. If anyone confirms a newer version works, let me know and I will change it here. MySQL 5.6 and 5.7 both do not allow anonymous accounts, so they do not work. 8.0 does not work due to table design changes.

Just a reminder, don't use this in a production environment. This is terrible security and you shouldn't really ever use anonymous accounts except locally (We can't connect clients yet, so it's no big deal, but I thought it was worth writing anyways).

You can also start running the NPC Server as soon as you see "zone 56" pop up in the console. It makes the server software go wild as presumably it's creating all of the NPCs.

If you see "Broadcast channel 0xa000", that means it is searching for a client. Unfortunately, we haven't figured out how to connect clients yet. If you know of any tricks to get it connected, let me know!

Also, I just realized there's a left shark emoji here so here it is: :dancemental:

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for writing this guide. I followed the instructions but the server doesn't work for me. It gives me a "connect database localhost/hko failed! ERROR Shutdown: The socket is not connected (connection-oriented sockets only)" message. Do you know why this is? Thanks.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
It could be multiple issues.

Did you make sure to configure an anonymous account in your MySQL installation?

Are you using 5.0.91?

Did you remember to install the 32 bit msi and not the 64 bit?
thingsiadorexo

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
When installing I chose the anonymous account option, and it is version 5.0.91 and I did install the 32 bit msi.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I imported the sql file into the database. It shows me account, folder, guild, item, mail, member and player when I view the tables inside the database.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I imported the sql file into the database. It shows me account, folder, guild, item, mail, member and player when I view the tables inside the database.

With which account did you create the hko database? Root or anonymous? Did you install MySQL with latin1 support?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I installed mysql with the standard character set. I logged into mysql by giving an empty password when prompted, so I assumed I was anonymous. I check the list of all users and it has root, root, and blank, with hosts being localhost, 127.0.0.1, and localhost respectively. When I check current user, it says it's root@localhost.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I installed mysql with the standard character set. I logged into mysql by giving an empty password when prompted, so I assumed I was anonymous. I check the list of all users and it has root, root, and blank, with hosts being localhost, 127.0.0.1, and localhost respectively. When I check current user, it says it's root@localhost.

Post your config.xml please. It sounds like everything is correct, so I'm a bit stumped at the moment.

One thing I would recommend is try and recreate the database as an anonymous user, not as root.

I use dbeaver for most things, so my experience with the command line is rather limited.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

Maybe I didn't do the command line right? Should I use dbeaver instead because then it'd be easier to compare to what you did?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

Maybe I didn't do the command line right? Should I use dbeaver instead because then it'd be easier to compare to what you did?

Found the issue! You still have comments around the <DISPATCH> statements. Delete the <! and --> lines

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I did that and it still doesn't work. Maybe I didn't do enough when setting up the database? I just created the database in the mysql command line using the create database prompt and that was that. Is there more to it?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I did that and it still doesn't work. Maybe I didn't do enough when setting up the database? I just created the database in the mysql command line using the create database prompt and that was that. Is there more to it?

Did you do this:

With the SQL file I linked?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I don't have wamp like that person does, but I did import it using the source command by copying the location of the sql file.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I don't have wamp like that person does, but I did import it using the source command by copying the location of the sql file.

Alright, here are the instructions for dbeaver that I use:

1) Connect to your mySQL 5 database with no username or password.
2) right click and create a database named hko
3) right click on hko and go to tools>restore database
4) choose the SQL file.

It should import everything fine and work

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I got the server to work. It can't connect to a client, so I wouldn't be able to play the game yet?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I got the server to work. It can't connect to a client, so I wouldn't be able to play the game yet?

Yay! I'm glad you got it working :)

Yeah, unfortunately clients can't connect yet, that's the next step we need to figure out. It's looking more and more like an edited/custom client will be required to get it functional, which is beyond my knowledge :(

Back