Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Which version of MySQL is required?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Using MySQL 8.0 (The latest), it screams that a socket error is occurring due to no charset found.

The fixes all say that its due to the application needing an ancient version. A fix is supposedly rebuilding the database as latin1 instead of utf-8. Unfortunately, that did not work (unless I did something wrong).

I am using the compatibility settings version of 8.0, so it defaults to MySQL 5.7 based databases.

It doesn't seem like an application issue since it's giving a charset error.

In other news, I can get SkaterGirl8's installer to the login screen, so maybe that can now work with the server if I can get it running

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
Keep in my that the libmySQL.dll in server files is from 2004. So if it indeed used MySQL, it was version 4.0 .

Getting to the login screen is not related to compatibility to the server.
All clients can reach the login screen without a server to connect to.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Keep in my that the libmySQL.dll in server files is from 2004. So if it indeed used MySQL, it was version 4.0 .

Are you sure the libmySQL.dll is from 2004? The server files themselves seem to be from 2009. HKO didn't even exist until 2008.

Getting to the login screen is not related to compatibility to the server.
All clients can reach the login screen without a server to connect to.

Good to know, thanks.

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
I am sure that is the last time they were modified. May 13, 2004 and June 07, 2004.
Like I said, if those dll are actually used then the version would be 4.0 . Verify

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
so is the server working at least with MySQL 4.1? how did you do it??? I mean by changing the config files to point your local mysql server and that's it?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
so is the server working at least with MySQL 4.1? how did you do it??? I mean by changing the config files to point your local mysql server and that's it?

I'm still working it out. The database seems really flexible, the application only looks for the tables themselves, not a specific version of MySQL (Which is great for us). This means that theoretically, MySQL 8.x can work too.

Opening up port 5500 for the game might actually be a hard requirement, but I'm not sure yet. More work needs to be done to figure everything out.

Last edited:
Back