Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Guide] How to add WindowMode to PT.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
PT worked under Wine for you? When I first started PT under wine I thought that my PC back to Pentium Pro times ;)
Nope, but both under Wine, and under dxwindower PT told me my PC didn't have the hardware to support it. XD

Specifically, the error message was something like "DirectX reports no fullscreen resolutions comparable with PT supported on this machine." Left in an error.log file or something.

The fact is that PT supports running in a window anyway... and some clients (EPT for example) even give you a tick box in the launcher to enable it. Even if you aren't an admin. (though it does have a nasty habit of resetting to fullscreen every time you restart it) Others (like KPT) strongly disallow it if you are not an admin user. jPT doesn't give you the option, but typically doesn't have any of the force to top functions or crash on Alt-Tab things that KPT like to do... all of which scares me silly as a gamer playing on-line, because I can't monitor my network traffic or see my AV software when I'm fullscreen. I normally disconnect from the internet when I'm using my PC in a "Home Theatre" mode, and for gaming. So on-line games... have to run in a window, or I don't play them. XD

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Nope, but both under Wine, and under dxwindower PT told me my PC didn't have the hardware to support it. XD

Specifically, the error message was something like "DirectX reports no fullscreen resolutions comparable with PT supported on this machine." Left in an error.log file or something.

The fact is that PT supports running in a window anyway... and some clients (EPT for example) even give you a tick box in the launcher to enable it. Even if you aren't an admin. (though it does have a nasty habit of resetting to fullscreen every time you restart it) Others (like KPT) strongly disallow it if you are not an admin user. jPT doesn't give you the option, but typically doesn't have any of the force to top functions or crash on Alt-Tab things that KPT like to do... all of which scares me silly as a gamer playing on-line, because I can't monitor my network traffic or see my AV software when I'm fullscreen. I normally disconnect from the internet when I'm using my PC in a "Home Theatre" mode, and for gaming. So on-line games... have to run in a window, or I don't play them. XD

im like that too i found this a bit tricky to get working though but thanks anyway.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I agree, and have to say that I have only been able to follow this tutorial on the exact same client version, in it's unaltered state.

Unfortunately, the specifics of how FullScreen is forced upon us seems to change quite dramatically from one client to the next, and the "how to find what you are looking for in another client" is insufficient in this guide... but that would make a pretty long guide really, really long. XD

Just as an experiment (since I'm going boggle eyed looking at PE offsets for export tables) I thought I'd try to make Butchered v2b permanently Window Mode, regardless of configuration or admin or anything else. Effectively "How to disable fullscreen... forever!" (which is overkill, some people like it, and some admins don't want people seeing MSN or facebook or their hacking tools while they are playing) but as I say, just as an experiment.

Even that is not as easy as you might think. I can force it to believe it's read the "*MODE WINDOW" line of course, and anything to do with pulling the window to the front is already gone (except one I missed during the login intro) but if you aren't GM, the client somewhere tells the server it's not admin and is in a window and the server DCs you soon after spawning. :*:

The interaction between a)Are you in a window b)Do you have the admin line and c)Does the server know you as admin, is really complex, and forces DC at times when you wouldn't expect it too.

The only easy way to do it is to be an admin both ends of the connection, or wait use someone elses' years worth of work like the QF clients. :$:

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Very good tutorial !!! However when I add the .NewCode and .NewData the CFF the game.exe does not open in Olly = \ ... Do you have any dll that can provide that stayed with WindowsMode?

Back