Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Aion Privat Server Illegal or legal?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Today I wanted to ask the important question whether Aion private servers are allowed? I read a lot of different opinions about it but what is actually true? Can I run an Aion private emulator online? Which prerequisites do I have to consider? please advise me thanks..

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Today I wanted to ask the important question whether Aion private servers are allowed? I read a lot of different opinions about it but what is actually true? Can I run an Aion private emulator online? Which prerequisites do I have to consider? please advise me thanks..

Private servers are not legal, but it's not a big problem if no one reports them.
1. First of all, you should have good development experience and find out where the problems are.2. You should have a good server.3. There must be a good EMU4. Be able to build your own characteristics

Private servers are not legal, but it's not a big problem if no one reports them.
1. First of all, you should have good development experience and find out where the problems are.2. You should have a good server.3. There must be a good EMU4. Be able to build your own characteristics

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score

Yes and no, If you are running it online for you and a few friends, that's perfectly fine. The problem arises when you put a server online and charge people money for cosmetics or to even enter your server. Charging money for a companies copyrighted material is a big No No!

Take for instance Aion Core trying to sell aion clients for 10 euro a pop(sorry voidstar) they're directly making money off of someones copyrighted work which is illegal. Some devs try to get around the hazard zone into the grey area by using their own custom tokens you farm in game to buy cosmetics, but it's all the same tactics to make money to foot the cost of the server.

Yes and no, If you are running it online for you and a few friends, that's perfectly fine. The problem arises when you put a server online and charge people money for cosmetics or to even enter your server. Charging money for a companies copyrighted material is a big No No!

Take for instance Aion Core trying to sell aion clients for 10 euro a pop(sorry voidstar) they're directly making money off of someones copyrighted work which is illegal. Some devs try to get around the hazard zone into the grey area by using their own custom tokens you farm in game to buy cosmetics, but it's all the same tactics to make money to foot the cost of the server.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not selling any Aion clients. I take just a hosting and download charges. That's a big difference.
About hosting a public Aion Emulator. It's doesn't matter if you are charging some money from people or not.

1. You are using an emulator that use reverse engineering of Aion client.
2. You are using the original Aion client for not licensed server access.

That means, your public server is illegal

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I'm not selling any Aion clients. I take just a hosting and download charges. That's a big difference.
About hosting a public Aion Emulator. It's doesn't matter if you are charging some money from people or not.

1. You are using an emulator that use reverse engineering of Aion client.
2. You are using the original Aion client for not licensed server access.

That means, your public server is illegal

C4XcyC - Aion Privat Server Illegal or legal? - RaGEZONE Forums

Where's the popcorn?

on a serious note, they can't do anything to me, I write my own code and all technical data is sourced from open source emulators. You're trying to scare people because you know what you're doing is illegal.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You are very bad informed.
Every emulator, Aion, WoW, etc.. are illegal because they use reverse engineering on the original game client and using copyrighted material from original developer.

You've understood me wrong because you are inexperienced in hosting public this game.
I hostet Aion Extreme 2.5, 3.0, 3.9 many years. There is not an issue as long you are not reclaimed by NCSOFT and NCSOFT doesn't make legal steps against illegal private servers.
If NCSOF make legal steps against a private server, they are lost, because of NCSOFT financial damage to
which they may have claims.

I don't know where are you living, but in states such Germany, France (Europe) and USA hosting public emulators violating a series of rights of the manufacturer is prohibited. Try not to be rude in a discussion
like this, I didn't offend you. Otherwise, I send a report. I'm only talking about the legal side of this emulator.
From my side, you can publish and run as many emulators as you want, I'm not interested on this.

I give you an example with hosting WoW Private server

[h=2]Do server owners get punished for running a World of Warcraft server?[/h] That is where things get a little complicated. Hosting a WoW Private Server is technically a copyright infringement, involving server software by developers and server owners. You also use the client files, and that’s a violation. This means that Blizzard can file a complaint to the server-owners (or more realistically, to the host provider where the game is hosted at). This usually happens through an email. The reason being that Blizzard owns the rights reserved to World of Warcraft. But in general, many hosting providers take these DMCA reports for private servers very lightly, especially if they are not US based. Some of the biggest servers run on hosts that are located in Europe, for example OVH – being in France, and they have not been closed down. They have certainly received copyright infringements from Blizzard related companies, but have ignored them. The copyright laws are also different for each country. And Blizzard/the trading mark companies, have not done anything further.
In other words, it’s very normal that Blizzard file copyright complains towards the hosting provider running the particular WoW Server they are ‘targeting’. But it’s very unlikely that Blizzard takes the next step, in case their emails are being ignored. It has only happened with the private server called WoW-Scape, which resulted in a law-suit, but the owner was also US origin based. WoWScape was also a wow server, that Blizzard took in court case, and was judged to pay a lot of money as a fee. But historically, there have not been any other court cases. This includes court cases for server owners, nor for people reverse engineering the game client, touching the database data or the server code involving World of Warcraft.

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
You are very bad informed.
Every emulator, Aion, WoW, etc.. are illegal because they use reverse engineering on the original game client and using copyrighted material from original developer.

You've understood me wrong because you are inexperienced in hosting public this game.
I hostet Aion Extreme 2.5, 3.0, 3.9 many years. There is not an issue as long you are not reclaimed by NCSOFT and NCSOFT doesn't make legal steps against illegal private servers.
If NCSOF make legal steps against a private server, they are lost, because of NCSOFT financial damage to
which they may have claims.

I don't know where are you living, but in states such Germany, France (Europe) and USA hosting public emulators violating a series of rights of the manufacturer is prohibited. Try not to be rude in a discussion
like this, I didn't offend you. Otherwise, I send a report. I'm only talking about the legal side of this emulator.
From my side, you can publish and run as many emulators as you want, I'm not interested on this.

I give you an example with hosting WoW Private server

Do server owners get punished for running a World of Warcraft server?

That is where things get a little complicated. Hosting a WoW Private Server is technically a copyright infringement, involving server software by developers and server owners. You also use the client files, and that’s a violation. This means that Blizzard can file a complaint to the server-owners (or more realistically, to the host provider where the game is hosted at). This usually happens through an email. The reason being that Blizzard owns the rights reserved to World of Warcraft. But in general, many hosting providers take these DMCA reports for private servers very lightly, especially if they are not US based. Some of the biggest servers run on hosts that are located in Europe, for example OVH – being in France, and they have not been closed down. They have certainly received copyright infringements from Blizzard related companies, but have ignored them. The copyright laws are also different for each country. And Blizzard/the trading mark companies, have not done anything further.
In other words, it’s very normal that Blizzard file copyright complains towards the hosting provider running the particular WoW Server they are ‘targeting’. But it’s very unlikely that Blizzard takes the next step, in case their emails are being ignored. It has only happened with the private server called WoW-Scape, which resulted in a law-suit, but the owner was also US origin based. WoWScape was also a wow server, that Blizzard took in court case, and was judged to pay a lot of money as a fee. But historically, there have not been any other court cases. This includes court cases for server owners, nor for people reverse engineering the game client, touching the database data or the server code involving World of Warcraft.

it's a joke, take a joke......

oHimTGD - Aion Privat Server Illegal or legal? - RaGEZONE Forums

I even censored it to be kid friendly.

Technically they aren't legal, just like smoking weed isn't legal. It doesn't mean people will not do it on the low down? As long as they're not selling people cosmetics or charging for a player to enter, who cares.

The problem I have is with you selling game clients, and that's the nutella and vegemite(from australia btw kent) of this discussion for me personally. You can't put Aion clients behind a pay wall and act like it's no different to hosting a private server. Charging money for copyright material is considered intellectual copyright theft and is a serious crime. NCSoft will be more mad that you are selling their copyrighted work, than an Aion fan wanting to run his or her own server for a few friends. Who in 2022 is running a big thousand player Aion server? even the best PW server averages 100 players concurrently.

I know team members from both NCSoft West and Gameforge EU, I'm also aware of German/EU law regarding this matter, both have told me personally that selling Aion clients are way worse than hosting some open source code that has been open source since emulation development began back in 2009.

If for eg. you were to make decent money from selling aion clients, you would also need to pay tax for the money you've made and would also need a business setup which means you'd be doing taxes for selling copyrighted work which isn't even yours... tell me how that's even remotely legal?

D3Stioa - Aion Privat Server Illegal or legal? - RaGEZONE Forums

I'm not being rude btw, just having a bit of a meme session, live a little mate. life's too short to have a tantrum.

I am inexperienced in copyright theft, but I do make a mighty fine Linux server. Go check out my tutorial on how to setup a server on a Linux box, much more educational than selling 1 client every 18 months. You'll learn how to become a sys admin and manage your server that can be directly applicable to the real world and might even land you a job where you don't need to do illegal stuff to make a few euro. What a winner?

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Inactive
Reaction score
It's extremely corny that your selling clients that are actually free and telling others it's for "hosting costs". You could have easily made multiple google drive accounts or even mega accounts and they would remain free.

But hey, to each his own.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No you can not make multiple google or mega accounts since the clients are more then 20GB and the free accounts are 15GB.
No, I do not sale the clients. I just charge the downloads data traffic and file hosting. That is not illegal.

Another hand, why we are talking about clients on this topic?
It's not about if public private servers are legal or illegal?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
No you can not make multiple google or mega accounts since the clients are more then 20GB and the free accounts are 15GB.
No, I do not sale the clients. I just charge the downloads data traffic and file hosting. That is not illegal.

Another hand, why we are talking about clients on this topic?
It's not about if public private servers are legal or illegal?

You can make multiple accounts @ 20gb and upload the clients in parts. Actually that's what I might do for my clients.

Pay you and I get to download the client, don't pay you and I don't get to download the client... YES, you are selling the clients. Stop trying to mask the real intent by saying it's to recoup the bandwidth/storage costs.

Back