Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Downgrading JDK version

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Install JDK1.7 and then set the Java environment variable by following these steps:

I may not have expressed myself clearly. What I want to express is that I now support JDK1.8 but not 1.7 in GameServer. I need to lower the JDK version. What do I need to modify to change GameServer's support for 1.7?

Thank you for your answer.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I may not have expressed myself clearly. What I want to express is that I now support JDK1.8 but not 1.7 in GameServer. I need to lower the JDK version. What do I need to modify to change GameServer's support for 1.7?

Thank you for your answer.

Gotcha, so you have JDK 8 and want to upgrade the gameserver so it supports it?

Here's how I'd do it:

1. Update the build scripts(pom.xml or build.xml) to support 1.8.
  2. Attempt to compile the gameserver, see what breaks.
  3. Modify the code to support the new version.

I'd recommend trying this with the loginserver first as the code is smaller(still bloated, but smaller than the gameserver)

EDIT: This question hurts my brain, do you want to downgrade or upgrade the gameserver? Running JDK 7 will be fine for building the gameserver if the build.xml or pom.xml require 1.7, if you are wanting to build using a newer JDK, follow my steps explained above.

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Gotcha, so you have JDK 8 and want to upgrade the gameserver so it supports it?

Here's how I'd do it:

1. Update the build scripts(pom.xml or build.xml) to support 1.8.
  2. Attempt to compile the gameserver, see what breaks.
  3. Modify the code to support the new version.

I'd recommend trying this with the loginserver first as the code is smaller(still bloated, but smaller than the gameserver)

EDIT: This question hurts my brain, do you want to downgrade or upgrade the gameserver? Running JDK 7 will be fine for building the gameserver if the build.xml or pom.xml require 1.7, if you are wanting to build using a newer JDK, follow my steps explained above.

I want to lower the JDK version! ! ! !

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I want to lower the JDK version! ! ! !

If it's 1.7 use JDK 7, if it's 1.8 use JDK 8, if each server is different, use the highest version.
Refer to my linux server guide as I explain briefly how to find the version required.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
If it's 1.7 use JDK 7, if it's 1.8 use JDK 8, if each server is different, use the highest version.
Refer to my linux server guide as I explain briefly how to find the version required.

My main problem is that when I start the server, it will prompt the performance degradation. I thought it was the JDK version! ! It depends on other problems. If you know how to solve them, please let me know. Thank you.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
My main problem is that when I start the server, it will prompt the performance degradation. I thought it was the JDK version! ! It depends on other problems. If you know how to solve them, please let me know. Thank you.

"it will prompt the performance degradation" Please explain in more detail. What is meant by prompt the performance degradation? Does the server slow down? Does the server not load? Do you receive an error? If you receive an error, what is the error?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
There is no sence for downgrading source, at 8 version comes jvm optimization (5% I thought), lambda, optional, streams, functional interfaces, new timeApi, and maybe something forget )

Back