Downgrading JDK version

MemberRank
    Jun 2013 Join Date
    152Posts

Downgrading JDK version

I'm using the server JDK version of 1.8. What do I need to do to make JDK1.7 be used in the server?

LegendRank
    Aug 2010 Join Date
    2,364Posts

Re: Downgrading JDK version

Quote Originally Posted by qw19860616 View Post
    I'm using the server JDK version of 1.8. What do I need to do to make JDK1.7 be used in the server?
    Install JDK1.7 and then set the Java environment variable by following these steps: https://stackhowto.com/how-to-set-th...in-windows-10/

MemberRank
    Jun 2013 Join Date
    152Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeate View Post
    Install JDK1.7 and then set the Java environment variable by following these steps: https://stackhowto.com/how-to-set-th...in-windows-10/

I may not have expressed myself clearly. What I want to express is that I now support JDK1.8 but not 1.7 in GameServer. I need to lower the JDK version. What do I need to modify to change GameServer's support for 1.7?

Thank you for your answer.

MemberRank
    Aug 2021 Join Date
    AltgardLocation
    168Posts

I may not have expressed myself clearly. What I want to express is that I now support JDK1.8 but not 1.7 in GameServer. I need to lower the JDK version. What do I need to modify to change GameServer's support for 1.7?

Thank you for your answer.
    Gotcha, so you have JDK 8 and want to upgrade the gameserver so it supports it?

Here's how I'd do it:

1. Update the build scripts(pom.xml or build.xml) to support 1.8.
    2. Attempt to compile the gameserver, see what breaks.
    3. Modify the code to support the new version.

I'd recommend trying this with the loginserver first as the code is smaller(still bloated, but smaller than the gameserver)

EDIT: This question hurts my brain, do you want to downgrade or upgrade the gameserver? Running JDK 7 will be fine for building the gameserver if the build.xml or pom.xml require 1.7, if you are wanting to build using a newer JDK, follow my steps explained above.
    Last edited by StingerOne; 24-07-22 at 11:52 AM.

MemberRank
    Jun 2013 Join Date
    152Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StingerOne View Post
    Gotcha, so you have JDK 8 and want to upgrade the gameserver so it supports it?

Here's how I'd do it:

1. Update the build scripts(pom.xml or build.xml) to support 1.8.
    2. Attempt to compile the gameserver, see what breaks.
    3. Modify the code to support the new version.

I'd recommend trying this with the loginserver first as the code is smaller(still bloated, but smaller than the gameserver)

EDIT: This question hurts my brain, do you want to downgrade or upgrade the gameserver? Running JDK 7 will be fine for building the gameserver if the build.xml or pom.xml require 1.7, if you are wanting to build using a newer JDK, follow my steps explained above.

I want to lower the JDK version! ! ! !

LegendRank
    Aug 2010 Join Date
    2,364Posts

Why?

If your server requires JDK1.7, then use JDK1.7 (as per my original post)
    If your server requires JDK1.8, then use JDK1.8

I honestly don't see the problem here.

MemberRank
    Aug 2021 Join Date
    AltgardLocation
    168Posts

If it's 1.7 use JDK 7, if it's 1.8 use JDK 8, if each server is different, use the highest version.
    Refer to my linux server guide as I explain briefly how to find the version required.

MemberRank
    Jun 2013 Join Date
    152Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StingerOne View Post
    If it's 1.7 use JDK 7, if it's 1.8 use JDK 8, if each server is different, use the highest version.
    Refer to my linux server guide as I explain briefly how to find the version required.
    My main problem is that when I start the server, it will prompt the performance degradation. I thought it was the JDK version! ! It depends on other problems. If you know how to solve them, please let me know. Thank you.

MemberRank
    Aug 2021 Join Date
    AltgardLocation
    168Posts

My main problem is that when I start the server, it will prompt the performance degradation. I thought it was the JDK version! ! It depends on other problems. If you know how to solve them, please let me know. Thank you.
    "it will prompt the performance degradation" Please explain in more detail. What is meant by prompt the performance degradation? Does the server slow down? Does the server not load? Do you receive an error? If you receive an error, what is the error?

MemberRank
    Apr 2016 Join Date
    KievLocation
    53Posts

There is no sence for downgrading source, at 8 version comes jvm optimization (5% I thought), lambda, optional, streams, functional interfaces, new timeApi, and maybe something forget )

Advertisement