Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

FlyForFun.io - The first 3D MMORPG you can play EVERYWHERE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello! 4 years after I'm back with an even more crazy project!
Aishiro - FlyForFun.io - The first 3D MMORPG you can play EVERYWHERE - RaGEZONE Forums

Try the prototype now :
Aishiro - FlyForFun.io - The first 3D MMORPG you can play EVERYWHERE - RaGEZONE Forums

Introduction

The FlyForFun.io project was born a year and a half ago (6 months of feasibility study, 1 year of development) and we believe that it is now mature enough to present it to the public and move it forward. Its originality revolves around 2 main axes.

Play everywhere and anytime

These last years, the wish of playing anywhere and anytime is a trend. We may notice it with the release of the hybrid console Nintendo Switch or Google's Project Stream. Nevertheless, these solutions require either the purchase of new hardware or a very high bandwidth to receive images continuously. We tried to bring a different solution to the problem, taking advantage of the rising power of web technologies. Game engines like Unity are already able to create games running in the web browser, but they are too general nowadays to work properly 3D MMORPGs with huge worlds, let alone on mobile.

By creating from scratch a new game engine designed for this kind of games, in a complex programming language (C ++) but allowing to optimize to the maximum the algorithms, we managed to reach this goal. The game runs directly in the browser, and downloads the resource files it needs according to the position of the player in the world. Each downloaded file is likely to be saved by the browser, so the next game start will be much faster. For older devices that require maximum optimization, it's still possible to install the game as a native application.

Return to the origins of FlyFF

Despite its many flaws, this game leads to a certain nostalgia because its atmosphere is unique. The lack of updates, the many essential items that could only be bought in the shop, the imbalance between classes and its repetitiveness almost killed him. Smartphone versions have emerged, but it's clearly not the same game because the gameplay and the atmosphere have nothing to do with the original one. With this project, we have the opportunity to rebuild it from its origins (for instance and ), and even improve it!

The main points of the project are:
  • No objects helping the progression in the game on sale at the shop.
  • Reduce the experience required to reach a level, but increase the difficulty of monsters.
  • Diversify the fighting techniques of different monsters.
  • Create new types of quests, including those to follow the history of the world of Madrigal.
  • Give more importance to the flight system.
  • Implement some systems that have been removed, such as the durability of weapons.
  • Add the 5th class never implemented in the game, the puppeteer who can take possession of the monsters.

What we have in mind is a dashboard on the site with a list of expected features, to which anyone can contribute. Players vote for the features they expect the most, and every 2 weeks the development team releases a game update with the features that received the most votes last time.

Realize the project

We have 2 points to settle before starting to make the prototype playable.

Funding

Such a game requires resources for servers and development team. We have 2 ways to find this financing: either offer the game in the form of a small subscription, or sell clothes and decorative objects for characters. Do not hesitate to give us your opinion and your ideas (see Support the project) ! Depending on the financing obtained, we could also consider the following evolutions of the game:
  • Create new user interfaces adapted to computers, tablets and smartphones.
  • Create new game content like new islands and equipment.
  • Improve the new graphic engine at grass level, water, clouds, shadows... for the most powerful devices.
  • Rework existing textures, 3D objects and maps.
  • Make the game available in several different languages.

Intellectual property

Original game resources and FlyFF trademark are the property of the japanese company GALA Incorporated. We want to respect this property, that's why we want to conclude an intellectual property contract with this corporation. As it's a different game, it'll not be directly in with FlyFF on PC and FlyFF Legacy on mobile. We are convinced that this innovative project could bring a lot to the franchise and its company. Unfortunately, it will be difficult for the small team we are to reach them. But we need this agreement and funding in order to grow. We need your support!

Game engine specifications

Here are the highlights of this unique game engine, made in several months of work by a passionate computer science student:
  • No install nor account required, enter your character's name and play!
  • Works with Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge on Windows 7/8/10, Linux, Mac OS, Android, iOS.
  • Can also be installed as a native application for optimal performance.
  • Homemade graphic engine optimized for mobile.
  • Multilingual client with each server having its primary language.
  • Control the flight by rotating your smartphone or tablet.

For those interested in development, here are the engine's main technical features:
  • Fully commented, clean and modern C++14 code.
  • No new/delete in the code, only using STL classes.
  • User Interface with layout system and DPI scaling.
  • Shader generation system.
  • Powerful GPU streaming buffer pool.
  • Compression of textures in 6 formats and musics in 3 formats to support all devices.
  • All resources are in a single compressed binary JSON-based format.
  • Files can be grouped in packages to reduce the number of HTTP requests.
  • Smart system to instantly publish updates and invalidate updated files in the cache.
  • Physic and logic are based on the time, unlike the old game which was based on the frame rate.
  • JavaScript scripting on server side for dialogs and events.
  • Much more secrets!

Questions & answers

Why can't I talk to NPCs or attack monsters?
The main goal of the prototype is to show the power of the game engine. We'd like to get feedback from players before we start implementing parts of the gameplay in order to create the best Flyff as possible. In addition, before investing hundreds of hours in the project again, we must make sure that it can be realized (see Realize the project).

Why doesn't the prototype work on my device?
Ensure you have the last version of your web browser and check with the website that WebGL is enabled. Internet Explorer is not supported. If you definitely can't run the prototype, please send us an email including the WebGL report.

Why is the prototype slow on my device?
If the prototype is slow to load then ensure you have a good enough internet connection (the prototype downloads about 5MB to show the home screen). Please also understand that the game is currently only a project and we have a very small personal budget for servers. If a lot of players are connected, loading the prototype may be slow. If the frame rate is low, it's probably because your web browser is not using your GPU but only your CPU. Search on Google how to enable hardware acceleration because the method depends on your browser, your OS and your GPU. Don't worry, the real game will also be available as a native application to provide the best performance.

Why is the prototype ugly on my device?
Shadows and high quality textures are disabled by default to ensure the prototype works on all devices. You can change these settings in the Option window (main menu) and then reload the page.

Why doesn't the full screen work on iOS?
Apple has disabled the fullscreen feature in its browser but you can add the website to the home screen (share button at the bottom of the screen) to launch it in fullscreen from your main screen.

What if I do not want to control my flight by rotating my device?
There is a button on the right of the screen to disable this mode when you are flying. In any case, just touch your character and move your finger to steer it. A full flight tutorial with little events will be set up in the real game.

Support the project

Do you like this project? Would you like to play to this game? Would your like to help funding it? What is the most appropriate funding method according to you? As a developer, would you like to contribute to its evolution?

Send us your feedback and your questions to lsaos@flyforfun.io, it's really important! It allows us to estimate the support we have. You can also share the project with your friends who might be interested! Thanks!

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Welcome back Aishiro :hello:
You have not been available for a long time but now I can understand it.
The project looks very good and I hope you finish the project!
And of course i will have a look on it ;)

Again you did a great job - congratz !

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Really interesting ! I wonder what you did server side ? :eek:

Did you recode server from scratch doing a kind of emulator/new server for your custom client(s) ?
Or maybe some http proxy between your custom client(s) and official server ?

Anyway great job/concept/ideas, I never thought anyone would do that !

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments! :laugh:
Everything is new, including the server. It's really a pleasure to work on a commented, clean and modern code. The database is now PostgreSQL and the current prototype server is running on a Linux distribution. Also the connection with clients isn't HTTP but WSS (WebSockets over SSL) so your players' datas are always encrypted :closedeyes:
But even if graphics, UI and database parts are completely new, I tried to keep a similar code architecture regarding game logic in order to adapt code from the official game more easily.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You'll not find any "new" or "delete" in my code, I'm only using std::unique_ptr or std::shared_ptr depending on the object ownership. Also it means most of my destructors are empty because objects are automatically released. It was a good experience because it proves modern C++ doesn't reduce performance (trust me, it's amazing to get such framerate in browsers) and it eleminated lots of pointer bugs.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
This is actually really cool. I could totally see myself playing a FlyFF version like this. Perhaps a patreon or something similar could work for you for the funding? Provide some devblogs and behind the scenes development. I wouldn't mind dropping $5 or $10 a month to support this project.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback! I completely agree with you that 5-10$/month (=60-120$/year) is too much for an old remastered mmo. When talking about subscriptions we were more thinking about 10-20$/year. The idea of patreon is good I'll have a deeper look at it ;-)

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback! I completely agree with you that 5-10$/month (=60-120$/year) is too much for an old remastered mmo. When talking about subscriptions we were more thinking about 10-20$/year. The idea of patreon is good I'll have a deeper look at it ;-)
I think you misunderstood. I wouldn't mind, as in I totally would pay $5-$10 a month to play something like this. Although I am not against your $10-$20 a year, but I wonder if that is enough?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I read your message too fast sorry ^^" The amount we need depends on the popularity of the project. I can't estimate it now... I also have to fix copyright issues with Gala.

It seems we're experiencing some random network issues and I don't know the origin of the problem. I'll work on it tonight with the mouse pointer bug on Chrome. Thanks for your understanding! :laugh:

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hello ,

It's great, I'm ready to support this project financially, inform us about progress, good luck

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I'm really excited to check this project out! It looks like the server is down at the moment, but as soon as it comes up, I'll be trying it.

This is something I've been hoping for since 2008, so to see someone actually do it is VERY impressive!

Edit:

Checked it out and flew all the way across Madrigal without any problems. All of the Monsters are present, and I haven't noticed any glitches. I look forward to following this project, and I'll be more than willing to support you!

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The prototype is now in version 0.1.8!
  • Network issues fixed
  • Mouse can rotate camera on x axis when moving with keyboard
  • Shadow map when flying high fixed
  • Changed the Middle shadow quality
  • Added motions & emoticones window (we missed them so much!)

I tried things for Chrome bugs with mouse pointer but it's difficult because I'm unable to reproduce the bugs on my computers. Still working on it.

I also apologize to players who weren't able to connect to server. 700 characters were created since the first announcement of the project monday! Thanks for all your mails, pm, comments and bug reports! :laugh:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi! The prototype received the 0.1.9 update today: fighting and leveling are now available!

A website with news, server status, devblog, forums and account creation to save your characters is also in preparation.

More than 1700 characters have been created since the first release of the prototype!

Here are the features of the 0.1.9 update:
  • Melee attacks
  • Experience and 15 first levels
  • Food items (they're not removed when you use them because monsters don't drop them for the moment)
  • Character window with stat points
  • Player die with resurrection to lodestar
  • Playing combat music when attacking a giant
  • Buttons discreet transition effect
  • Aggressive monsters attack near players

Bug fixes:
  • Tooltip always showing
  • Removed possibility to open multiple logout/quit message boxes in same time
  • World loading crash
  • Motion blending crash

Here is the development roadmap for the future versions:
  • 0.2.0: Inventory and monsters drops
  • 0.2.1: NPC dialogs and private messaging
  • 0.2.2: Pang buffs
  • 0.2.3: Skills
  • After: party, friends, NPC shops & player exchange, quests, PvP...

Continue sharing the project and stay tuned, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back