Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Suggestions for coding new source?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to see what you're the most popular opinion is for coding a MapleStory v83 source from scratch.

My experience is fairly limited to Java & Python with only 2 years of university computer science. However, I am quick to learn and want to start this project out of interest.

Please post with your recommendations and maybe some reasoning on the advantages of choosing that language. Also feel free to reach out if you are interested in mentoring (can compensate well) me throughout this journey.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Not worth it, use an existing source. Change things, fix things, make maple great again.

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I'm considering building from ground-up as well after seeing a few on Github. More interested in the server architecture & networking than implementing game features, so this seems like a fun side project. I'm thinking about writing in Node.js, I've seen Java, C#, and Golang being used. Let me know if you're interested.

Upvote 0
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm considering building from ground-up as well after seeing a few on Github. More interested in the server architecture & networking than implementing game features, so this seems like a fun side project. I'm thinking about writing in Node.js, I've seen Java, C#, and Golang being used. Let me know if you're interested.

If I were to write yet another source from scratch again I would choose C++ no doubt. Although to be honest the only "issue" with writing them in more advanced-ish languages is that not too many people in the scene have experience outside of Java. Just look at the old WvsBeta C# sources that nobody used cause they couldn't setup or understand it in comparison to my v40b Java source for example. :(

Anyways, I'm not sure if you're just trying to write a source in a language that isn't already released or not, but if you are then Python would be cool. There was a development that had started for it, but never got anywhere nor was it ever publicly released. Otherwise, if you're sure you want to do it in Node.js, feel free to check out the old Maple.js project by the legendary Diamondo25 if you ever need a reference: http://forum.ragezone.com/f689/dev-maple-js-maplestory-server-1001729/

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
single threaded actor model bruh. thank me later

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Shameless plug... Check out my latest thread for a c# server. It is runnable with docker with 1 command. No setup. No hassles. Super easy to develop for

Upvote 0
Back