Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Web Python server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm thinking of redesigning OdinMS completely in Python, but I'm not sure if it will be worth it. I'm going to be using gevent (a network platform for Python) and imagine speed and stability will hopefully be 10x better than Odin.

Is the MS community still active enough to get a reasonable amount of players to justify it?

:blink:

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Kind of confused what you mean here. Do you mean redesigning OdinMS's NPC/Event scripting method with Python?

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Kind of confused what you mean here. Do you mean redesigning OdinMS's NPC/Event scripting method with Python?
lol... I mean completely redesigning the source from the ground up in pure Python. I'm surprised it hasn't been done already... Python is lightweight enough to handle almost any crap you throw at it. I'd probably implement the NPC/event scripting in it as well, I might go for LUA with that though.

tl;dr build new server from scratch with python

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
lol... I mean completely redesigning the source from the ground up in pure Python. I'm surprised it hasn't been done already... Python is lightweight enough to handle almost any crap you throw at it. I'd probably implement the NPC/event scripting in it as well, I might go for LUA with that though.

tl;dr build new server from scratch with python

Would be pretty cool indeed. Not familiar with the language at all. But hey, you can create a maplestory source from almost every programming language, as long as you're familiar with it, and know how to use it. Good luck! :)

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Why do you want to make the server in python?

What does python have to offer that is useful to writing a server, and what makes it better than java?

If you can't answer these questions, don't bother.

Upvote 0
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
1.Why do you want to make the server in python?

2.What does python have to offer that is useful to writing a server, and what makes it better than java?

3.If you can't answer these questions, don't bother.

1. Maybe because he knows python more than java...
2. What makes java the number 1 language for a server?
3. Chill

Upvote 0
Nexon's undercover
Reaction score
Why do you want to make the server in python?

What does python have to offer that is useful to writing a server, and what makes it better than java?

If you can't answer these questions, don't bother.

Myabe he just knows python better than java.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
1. Maybe because he knows python more than java...
2. What makes java the number 1 language for a server?
3. Chill

I'm chill, sorry didn't mean to make it seem as if I wasn't.
1. Maybe he does and it could be a valid reason, but how do you know?
2. Did I ever say it was the number one language for a server? It's not, but given there are sources out there to learn from, it's likely that'll it'll be easier for him to make a server in Java. Also, if he can't answer as to why it's better than java, then there's no real reason he should be using it.

But OP, sure, go ahead, it'll be a fun project and there's always things to learn from using a different language. What I'm saying only really applies if you really want it to be a successful server.

Upvote 0
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm chill, sorry didn't mean to make it seem as if I wasn't.
1. Maybe he does and it could be a valid reason, but how do you know?
2. Did I ever say it was the number one language for a server? It's not, but given there are sources out there to learn from, it's likely that'll it'll be easier for him to make a server in Java. Also, if he can't answer as to why it's better than java, then there's no real reason he should be using it.

But OP, sure, go ahead, it'll be a fun project and there's always things to learn from using a different language. What I'm saying only really applies if you really want it to be a successful server.

Rice made his own C# source from dust and i'm pretty sure it's better than 90% of everything made in java out there. Also this is the better option if you are very good in a language:

1. you'll know exactly how your source work
2. its a language you know

Upvote 0
Subscriber and Mod!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Please don't not bump old threads, thread closed

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back