• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Web Do you think that xanadu will catch?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Do you think that xanadu source will catch and there will be more C++ repacks than Java.
Cause if you think it will catch I want to start learning C++ and the NPC script there.

Reaction score
Through my experience with memory management in C/C++, and benchmarks with various other languages, garbage collection is faster than using naive piles of heap allocation with reference counting. However, real performance savings can be had by simply not creating so much poop on the heap. When I was working on NoLifeWz, some of the costliest operations were constructing objects and such. A garbage collected language has its own heap which is fast, whereas in C/C++ allocations come directly from system calls which are slow. As a result garbage collected languages are faster, but they are not ideal. By carefully managing my resources, I reduced my dependency on the heap to a few core objects, which I had millions of. Then I implemented memory pools dedicated to those objects. Creating a new object was as simple as incrementing a pointer and returning it. For certain large operations, such as decompressing sprites, I simply used 2 static buffers and passed the data back and forth as I worked with it. In the end, I never had to delete anything from the heap, and my performance was superior to all other libraries.

tl;dr - Garbage collection is fast, but manually managing memory has more potential to be faster.

Until you're a pro (like me), don't even bother trying to compare languages on the basis of GC. In fact, don't even bother comparing languages at all. Just use what is easiest for you, and work on making your skills better.

Upvote 0
Reaction score
Actually, to be honest;I personnally love using c++! See, back when it was v.55 TitanMS based servers were EVERYWERE. Honestly though, most of them sucked! But when i was a noob and started trying to make one, it took forever for me to catch along to it. Through determanation ( and stubbornness) I successfully got my server to be pretty damn stable, and almost completely customized.
I had quit coding and poop for like a year- two, and only recently have i been getting back into it( Java is the main thing now :( easy, but i hate it.). But i never found anything about a new c++ server for v83(the version im using). Untill the other day i found the xanadu source( or repack) that was released. Yall( from page one on this topic) are acting like we need noobs to create the servers we play. Fck no! if a couple of good experienced ppl got together, im sure we can get a nice server up in no time! Im universal myself. I can somewhat do everything that making a server needs. Alll i need is a nice staff with exp.

Ps- If your interested, hit me up.

[edit] Lol i didnt realize this discussion was a year ago... Whoops.

grrr y u bump thred :c

Upvote 0
Back