Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

WZ [Tutorial][All Versions] Adding brand-new items (with pictures!)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello, ragezone. I'm big on WZ Editing. I've been doing it for about 2 years now. I'm good at it, I understand how it works and I can teach you how.

I am not responsible for any eff-ups with your files or anything. YOU MUST MAKE BACKUPS! Backup your server's WZ Folder, backup the WZs in your version's folder, backup everything!!!

First thing I should tell you is to add new items to a server and be able to use them is you need to be the developer or have access to the server's files. If you do not, then you may as well leave now because you can't add extra items, you can only replace others.

Programs you will need...
--
--
--
--
--(Optional)

Full Credits to haha01haha01 for developing HaRepacker

I prefer HaRepacker 3.5 and use it in this tutorial, but you make your own choice.

Now that your item is created, find the item you want it to be like. I'm using spectrum goggles because it is an easy to follow example, but you can do this with any item. This can be done with weapons as well, and I will show you how further editing can be done. To use HaRepacker, click File > Load and navigate to Character.wz or press Ctrl + O and navigate to Character.wz.

Eevee - [Tutorial][All Versions] Adding brand-new items (with pictures!) - RaGEZONE Forums

1022082 is the regular spectrum goggles. I want my blue spectrum goggles to be like this. Now, 1 of 2 things can be done here. You may either replace the current PNG in the item or upload your own. Replacing the current PNG is good if you're a player, not a dev but since this is a maplestory development website, I will show adding brand new items.

Step 2a. Extraction

Now that you've found the item you want yours to be similar to, press XML and click Dump.

Eevee - [Tutorial][All Versions] Adding brand-new items (with pictures!) - RaGEZONE Forums

A dialog box should pop up with two options. Since we are adding the file back to the WZ with a new ID, we want to dump the XML in Storage/distribution. You will want to create multiple XMLs and not combine them all into one.

If it went successfully, you should see this:

Now, find the folder where it was extracted to. By default, it is in the HaRepacker folder in a folder called XML_Dumps. When you have found this file, drag it to a place where you can easily navigate to it. I'll leave it in the folder it is in.
Once back in HaRepacker, scroll to the bottom of your item category, mine being accessories and see what the last ID is.

There's a gap between the last two (1142307 and 1142329) so I can use an ID in there. I'll use 1142308. What you have to do is rename your extracted file to the ID you want it to be. I will rename 1022082 to 1142308. When changing, the name, it is important to keep the 0 and the .img in the name. So after the name change, it would look like 01142308.img. After that, right click the XML and click edit. On the 2nd line, you should see the Item's ID.

Change that to your new ID. Now, to add the item back to the WZ.

Go back to HaRepacker and highlight the category that your item is in, like so:

Now, click XML > Import and navigate to your newly made item and click open. Find the item at the bottom of the list. Double click it and find Info, then find Icon and also find default.

icon is what the item looks like in your inventory and iconraw is what it looks like when you drop it. default is the base for the item and will be used for all frames of the item. Shirts, pants and overalls require many frames, so you will need to look into that on your own. Now, assuming everything is prepared, highlight default and click "Property" at the top and choose "Change property".

This box should pop up:

Whatever you do, do not change the name! Click "Browse PNG" and find your edited item. Once you've selected it, click submit.

Below, in the item, you will see many things. There's incDEX, inINT, incLUK. These are stats that are added. the "inc" stands for incremented. There is also reqDEX, reqINT, reqJob, reqLevel, reqLUK, reqSTR. These are the required stats and can be edited to your liking, but will have no effect until edited in the server file. Editing it in the WZ just removes error and makes it look nicer. To edit these, highlight them and click "Property" and then click "Change Property". NEVER, EVER change the name, only the values.

Once you are done editing, click File > Save. Do not close HaRepacker quite yet, though.

Now that your WZ is saved properly, you must now highlight your new item again. Once highlighted, click XML > Dump. This time, you'll want to dump with a different option, shown below.

Once that is done, find the file and open your server's WZ directory. Go to Character.wz and find your item's category. After, that, drag and drop your newly dumped XML into the directory.

Now that you've completed that, the item is in your server. If you edited the file in HaRepacker, you will need to have corresponding changes in the XML in the server WZ Directory. This will make the changes final and will remove any problems.

Now, you may drag your saved Character.wz from HaRepacker into your maplestory directory. Once again, make sure all your files are backed up.

Congrats, you've just added a totally new item! The last thing left to do is test. Turn on your server, go in game, give yourself the item and see if it worked.

Works like a charm!

If you encounter any problems or want a WZ-Editing tutorial, post below. I plan to make a map editing tutorial for adding brand new maps.

Happy WZ Editing!

Troubleshooting:

P = Problem
S = Solution

P: HaRepacker freezes and crashes when saving!!
S: Some times, it will say HaRepacker is not responding when really it is just saving. When HaRepacker is saving, do not touch it. Leave it alone until it is complete. Depending on how much you're editing, it could take a few minutes or a couple seconds. For any edit, it will take about a minute or two nonetheless.

P: I got an Out of Memory exception!
S: This means you were exporting or importing too many XMLs, or saving too many edits at once. Try doing half the work, save and then re open and do the other half.

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Great guide, very informative. :):

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
S: Some times, it will say HaRepacker is not responding when really it is just saving. When HaRepacker is saving, do not touch it. Leave it alone until it is complete. Depending on how much you're editing, it could take a few minutes or a couple seconds. For any edit, it will take about a minute or two nonetheless. If you are saving too much, or if you are adding/exporting too much at the same time, your program will crash with an Out Of Memory error.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
S: Some times, it will say HaRepacker is not responding when really it is just saving. When HaRepacker is saving, do not touch it. Leave it alone until it is complete. Depending on how much you're editing, it could take a few minutes or a couple seconds. For any edit, it will take about a minute or two nonetheless. If you are saving too much, or if you are adding/exporting too much at the same time, your program will crash with an Out Of Memory error.

Thank you for pointing that out. :)

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Those problem is fixed in HaRepacker 4.0
Saving fast than 3.5 and without Out Of Memory error.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Those problem is fixed in HaRepacker 4.0
Saving fast than 3.5 and without Out Of Memory error.

I'll post multiple links, then. I personally like 3.5 more than any other one.

Zzzz...
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Very nice in depth tutorial, good job :D Definitely cleared up some questions I had about adding items, thanks :p

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
WE do the same thing if want to add something CUSTOM like v97 or a Bleach Hollow Mask?

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

WE do the same thing if want to add something CUSTOM like v97 or a Bleach Hollow Mask?

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
when i custom my Scarelion hat in my v62 server, i can see it but cant wear it, why?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
when i custom my Scarelion hat in my v62 server, i can see it but cant wear it, why?

Make sure the XML was imported and exported correctly and all the information is proper.

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Of course.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
after i import the v.9x XML in my v62 character.wz with harepacker, should i dump the XML againt after import?

---------- Post added at 06:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 AM ----------

here is the picture :

like that, i can see them, but cannot wear

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
after i import the v.9x XML in my v62 character.wz with harepacker, should i dump the XML againt after import?

---------- Post added at 06:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 AM ----------

here is the picture :

like that, i can see them, but cannot wear

Dumping the XML a second time would not do anything to help it... PM Me, I'll try helping you over teamviewer

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Got to say this is a very easy to use, informative tut good job!

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I'm working on adding custom medals but, I can't find where I go to edit the text for medals, I thought it was in String.wz but I can't find the medal id's, please help

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Just gunna *bump* this... didn't know this section was back up

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I tried this method for a custom star I've been trying to make. Worked very nicely ^_^
Only problem I have is that I can't recharge the stars. o-o how do you change that?​

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I tried this method for a custom star I've been trying to make. Worked very nicely ^_^
Only problem I have is that I can't recharge the stars. o-o how do you change that?​

Uhh... did you make these fully custom? or were they imported? That's a problem with something you copied or wrote down... or it could be the size of the pack for the stars.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

I'm working on adding custom medals but, I can't find where I go to edit the text for medals, I thought it was in String.wz but I can't find the medal id's, please help

It is in string.wz... look a bit harder, they're there.

Back