Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Not dying huh!?

Reaction score
So who wants to still claim that PW is not "dying". Sure looks to me as though it's finally "officially" "dying" since they recently had a major server merge!

:eek:tt1:

Man the whole game has a whopping FOUR (4) servers now
343 - Not dying huh!? - RaGEZONE Forums

Nerd-IO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Same guess huh? :p Yes the game is dying since a while now and the remain things will be the china servers and maybe some private servers. PWI will die one day or another anyway like PW MS(the first official PW europe server) did a long time ago.

Reaction score
Yea, I've been talking about how it's "dying" for a while, but there were those "naysayers". If this doesn't make it "official" to them I don't know what will.

But yes, you're right, inevitably the game will "die" (totally) sooner or later. Although I do actually think once that happens P servers will still thrive for a little while (if not become really/more popular), as that will be the only "PW fix" players will be able to get once all of the official servers close down. Those too will inevitably die too though.

The game has been "completely" dead to me for a while now, I quit playing cold turkey YEARS ago! When I knew the game initially started it's "death"!

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
The fact that you want it to die or keep saying that it's dead for you, doesn't mean that it's dying. It's losing players very, very slowly, just like every other game, but it's still doing fine. There are tons of asian and south america players playing on various servers and the current PWI servers are filled with players almost to the max.
This section might be dead indeed, but it has very little to nothing to do with overall game popularity.

Game is dying since many years, yet can never die xD

Man the whole game has a whopping FOUR (4) servers now
343 - Not dying huh!? - RaGEZONE Forums

Just the PWI, while there's like 6 or more other companies hosting licensed PW around the world

Last edited:
Reaction score
I sell bots for pw. While that really went off back in 2011, and continued doing so until early 2013 (5 figures/month), it crawled to a trickle over the last year. Yes, the game is becoming more and more unbottable, but still - it says something about the userbase. Other bot sellers for PWRU and PWBR report the same.

Unfortunately, gameserver does not report player numbers in login packets, like aion and l2 do. That's a bummer.

For me - it's off to greener pastures. I will keep contact with the PW "scene", since I met some interesting and skilled people here - but ultimately, the crowd is running elsewhere.

Cheers

Reaction score
well, also the game has built in a bot, so of course things would dwindle as more and more people started using it. not to mention that PW has limited killing time to 8 hours

Reaction score
The fact that you want it to die or keep saying that it's dead for you, doesn't mean that it's dying. It's losing players very, very slowly, just like every other game, but it's still doing fine. There are tons of asian and south america players playing on various servers and the current PWI servers are filled with players almost to the max.
This section might be dead indeed, but it has very little to nothing to do with overall game popularity.

Game is dying since many years, yet can never die xD

Just the PWI, while there's like 6 or more other companies hosting licensed PW around the world

Technically you're right "it will never die", because *I* have it. And I'm an "archiver"! Er, well, at least, you can say "it'll never be 'lost' " :wink: No matter what I'll always have it in my "archive" :wink: :wink:

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
its just losing popularity. it'll take it a good 4 more years for it to have less then 20 people actively seeking private servers or gameplay of it.

people should stop saying the game is dying and be more optimistic towards it, its a 2006 game thats still relevant to 50+ people. Show it some respect. I'm impressed by it myself.

The only other old game to have such hardcore followings years after they stop being new are the old CoD games and maybe Skyrim but on a bigger scale.

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I /still/ think it /WAS/ a great game! Probably still is/could be - though sadly the companieS that run it, only care about $$$ - which is the worst part of it. Game could have done much better as a sub based game where you have to pay a monthly fee to play, but ppl can't just cash shop their "skill" or "powerfulness"! That's what really ruined it for me anyway.

Reaction score
Age says nothing. my favourite game of all time, Morrowind, came out in I think 2001, and it still has a -HUGE- following. There are even projects that re-wrote the entire game. Seriously - Age doesn't matter. What's killing PW is what 343 said - management. But then again, Management is always the cancer killing nice products. Nothing against staying profitable, but most management would take short, high bursts of unsubstainable profit over long term profit. Shareholders also mostly like seeing that in a company, since it keeps the marken voliatle.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
people who don't enjoy cash shop 1.5.3 etcs officials go to private servers, or wait for them to get to a position to where they can get the latest expansions anyway.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
of course PW is dieing, thats no secret, its been dieing ever since the day of its first release.
no, i don't mean that in a bad way, i mean it like people come and go all the time. since new games come out all the time.

Still, even though PW is "dieing", there are loads of mmo's that got released after PW that are already dead so got to give it to PW for its longevity.
However, its not like PW is dieing per se, its just PWI trying to kill off their own server with their ridiculous cash shop prices these days.

Like Swoosh said about morrowind, same counts for me but with Unreal Tournament 99. sure, its pretty much dead but there's still more multiplayer in it then in unreal tournament 3. and the game is 16 years old by now. (great game though)

Ultimately, a game will only die if the players allow it to die. as long as people still play its not going to fully die.

Reaction score
people who don't enjoy cash shop 1.5.3 etcs officials go to private servers, or wait for them to get to a position to where they can get the latest expansions anyway.

Sadly, from what I hear (I would not know from personal experience since I only played on 'official' servers myself) - "private servers" are just as bad (if not worse). They almost all seek to get "donations" and players who DO "donate" get something out of it. This is just as bad if not worse than the "official" servers. Sure, you too can have the GM cape, for only a one time donation of $10,000 or more !!! See what I'm saying?

So, with P servers being just as bad, if not worse, this still leaves the game in an undesirable state. If I ever did run a server I either a] would not even accept donations/money/payment of any kind and for any reason. Although I do know running a server DOES cost a pretty penny (between a machine/bandwidth/upgrades/maintenance/repair) - or - b] I'd accept donations, BUT the "player" who "donated" would be doing so 100% on the premise that they're doing so to support the fact that the server exists and operated. They would receive NOTHING ("in game") in return for their support other than knowing they could play on a server that NOBODY could "buy their way" through the game (including themselves) !!!!!!!!!!

And I do have to question if a server like that would really be "successful" anyway, since there are very apparently so many people who like to just "buy" their way through a game (instead of actually PLAYING it) =\

Last edited:

Ben

Developer - JS
Developer
Reaction score
Sadly, from what I hear (I would not know from personal experience since I only played on 'official' servers myself) - "private servers" are just as bad (if not worse). They almost all seek to get "donations" and players who DO "donate" get something out of it. This is just as bad if not worse than the "official" servers. Sure, you too can have the GM cape, for only a one time donation of $10,000 or more !!! See what I'm saying?

So, with P servers being just as bad, if not worse, this still leaves the game in an undesirable state. If I ever did run a server I either a] would not even accept donations/money/payment of any kind and for any reason. Although I do know running a server DOES cost a pretty penny (between a machine/bandwidth/upgrades/maintenance/repair) - or - b] I'd accept donations, BUT the "player" who "donated" would be doing so 100% on the premise that they're doing so to support the fact that the server exists and operated. They would receive NOTHING ("in game") in return for their support other than knowing they could play on a server that NOBODY could "buy their way" through the game (including themselves) !!!!!!!!!!

And I do have to question if a server like that would really be "successful" anyway, since there are very apparently so many people who like to just "buy" their way through a game (instead of actually PLAYING it) =\

I still play private servers now and then and the whole pw community is kinda split up, you from 1 part have the ppl that dont care about farming and then you got the hard-core pvp players that dont want to farm at all...

With plenty of servers starting and closing all the time, that last group of ppl got bigger and bigger because they know that within the year the server either is death or closed.

Look at server S had 140+ active ppl at launch, now theres roughly 44 ppl online and its live for like 2 months i think.

Reaction score
It's just not PWI that is dying out, It's also the bigger genre of PWE games, ESO(DEAD), JD(GETTING THERE), PW(GETTING THERE), FW(GETTING THERE)
So it's basically the company itself, with the Arc implent and some other crud, it's knocking allot of games down. Even with private servers, the amount of development work for the PWE games have went down hill. With PWI most of the tools needed is already out i guess, for editing and so forth, Though on here our other pwe game sections are suffering also, Hopefully there will be a turn around! :):!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello sir 343.

This is an off topic reply so here i go.

I am an old player of PW Private servers 1.3.6 and 1.3.8. I'm a huge fan of the community and everything. I basically grew up with this game and it was all possible because of you and few others.
I am writing this in order to thank you for all your time and everything you have put in into this.

If you know if there are some alive 1.3.6 servers which i couldn't find on xtream or other voting sites I'd love to hear from you.

Have a good day and I know you get tons of these but I just want you to know that it is appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Risto

PW Dev <3
Reaction score
I redownloaded PWI a few days ago to hop on and check out the state of the game and see where the community is at. When I logged in, I had LC appended to my name and I was now on a PvE server. This game is surely dying and it's an absolute shame -- years later I still find myself comparing games to PW. You guys have kept this community alive for quite some time, it's dwindling down but people like Bash show that it's possible to prolong the inevitable death of this game more and more.

Reaction score
I redownloaded PWI a few days ago to hop on and check out the state of the game and see where the community is at. When I logged in, I had LC appended to my name and I was now on a PvE server. This game is surely dying and it's an absolute shame -- years later I still find myself comparing games to PW. You guys have kept this community alive for quite some time, it's dwindling down but people like Bash show that it's possible to prolong the inevitable death of this game more and more.

Well knowing what I now know about this game (I signed up on PVP when I first started too [long before my RZ days]). PW is actually MUCH better as a PVE server. Being that it's a crappy F2P/P2W game the PVP was HIGHLY unbalanced! Unlike other games, where PVP *really* means PVP and PVE *REALLY* means PVE, on PW when you're on a PVP server, you're STUCK in PVP. On PVE you can still actually chose PVE or PVP (chose to be white or blue name). That was one of the reasons I actually quit (besides being F2P/P2W). A few "sub-reasons" as follows: PW actually started to make me think I SUCKED at PVP (PW was my first MMO after all so I had no clue if I did or not), but alas, when I started playing other MMO games since quitting PW (official) I found out I'm actually QUITE GOOD @ PVP. That being said, it's a F2P-P2W game so, I wasn't really competing against other players, I was competing against their wallet! PW isn't PLAYER VS PLAYER it's more like players wallet VS players wallet!

All that being said, PW is REALLY trying to milk that cash cow, because unlike other MMO's, almost ALL of which have a "server transfer" feature or service available, PW did not. By the time I caught on to all this (and subsequently quit) there was NO way I was re-rolling another toon on a PVE server. All this being said, knowing about the server merge, and that ALL servers are now "PVE" I would actually consider going back to playing. I must say I was SUPER nerdraged about the people that had really big wallets (and probably little to NO ACTUAL skill) griefing the crap out of people like me who weren't willing to spend $50,000 on their TOON/ACCOUNT! MANY people in PW were flat out assholes, period (full stop). Moving ALL servers to be PVE was probably a VERY wise choice on their part! And don't get me wrong, I'm not a "carebear" by ANY means, but again, in PW if I have some assclown who dropped $20,000 on his toon, and has NO actual "skill" can still grief me, I can give the biggest duck you and go back to blue name! Then IDIOTS like that literally spent all that money to "become badass" for NOTHING (and serves 'em right)! So I could say, PW would be worth it's PVE content, but PVP is a Ducking JOKE! If you want real PVP - it will not be found on PW! Unless of course you want to drop $100,000 on your toon >.>

Maybe I'll re-download the client and check out this new "server merge" they made a PvE server. If not for anything else, for a brief nostalgic moment...

Back