Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

The making of a server (even for dummies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Since there are still ppl who doesn't know how to set up a server, and the only guide i had found is now disappeared (o_O), i've decided to develop a guide, divided in chapters, both for dummies and more advanced users. As for the moment i've planned 3 chapters.
CH1) Server files installation
CH2) Server set up (game speeds, max queues, and more things)
CH3) Modding ships/buildings
Feel free to comment or ask anything you need.

1) First, download one of the server files pack, it doesn't matter wich one. Since english is the main language here, i'd choose XNova 0.8 or similar releases. But they all works the same way, so you can choose whatever you want, even a dutch or polish version.
ATTILA888 - The making of a server (even for dummies) - RaGEZONE Forums

2) While downloading, go to and register. That's my favourite free host, and it gives everything we need (even more to be honest, but that's OT) and doesn't force ads.

3) Now, you'll need an FTP client, if you are a Firefox user, i sugget to get the FireFTP addon, it's free and really basic, but it's very good. If not, i suggest FileZilla. Anyway feel free to use whatever you want, any FTP client with basic functions will do. (I'll make screens with FireFTP, but it's very similar to most clients so shouldn't be a problem for anyone)

4) Go in your 000webhost control panel and click on the "View FTP Details" button, here you can fine your FTP hostname, username and password (the passord is hidden, but it's the one you used to register the account).

5) Connect to your host with the FTP client and upload all the files in the "public_html" folder. With FireFTP and FileZilla you can use a Tool that compares the folder (the one on your harddrive and the one uploaded) it will tell you if there are missin files or smaller uploaded files, upload those again and check till you got 2 perfect equal folders.

6) Go to your browser and type "http://yourname.subdomain.com(or-org)/install/" and hit Enter.
You'll be inside your setup system. Click on install.
The next page will ask you database details, but you still need to create a databse. Open the control panel of 000webhost, go to MySQL and create a new database. Once created fill the setup fields.

7) Now, on some free hosts you can just press install and the server will be up and running, just waiting for accounts and settings. On 000webhost you need to give to the config.php file the permission to be written by other files and scripts on the same host. To do so, return to you control panel on 000webhost, clik on "Another File Manager", it will load a webbased ftp client, now search for config.php inside public_html folder and select it, on the left menu select "Change Permissions" and give the permissions (for those who are unsure, give them all, you'll change them back after installation, BE SURE TO DO SO OR YOU'LL BE VULNERABLE TO HACKERS).

8) Now you can install your server, you'll receive a success message and you'll be able to create your admin account.
Once the account is created, go to your page "http://yourname.subdomain.com(or-org)", the game will load and the basic installation is done.

I'll teach how to setup the game speeds, max queues, prices and more in the next chapter.
If you still got problems, like mysql errors, feel free to contact me, i'll answer as soon as possible.

PS: Sorry, my english may be awfull, but i'm italian :p

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at C:\AppServ\www\common.php:1) in C:\AppServ\www\login.php on line 38

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at C:\AppServ\www\common.php:1) in C:\AppServ\www\login.php on line 40

Can't solve this problem. :/
I'm trying to get it to work on my comp. (Just saying so u dont comment location of file.)

Internet prob. Sorry.

Internet prob. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Retired
Reaction score
Mod: Someone should delete those triple posts.

Pretty nice guide for a freehost. Thanks for creating it and contributing to this community.

Reaction score
Thank for telling me what to do . Also no more thanks posts because we have the thanks button

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
could anyone check if the host he gave is still ok, the login do not work for me

Reaction score
The host is ok but its not good for ogame or anything illegal. I couldnt even run a wiki on it ^^ they disabled my account in a couple of minutes and with the ogame the same but in 2hours after installing

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
a very good host to use i find is . they allow any activity that is not illegal.

i currently have a wiki, 2 versions of ogame, and several other sites running

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
a very good host to use i find is . they allow any activity that is not illegal.

i currently have a wiki, 2 versions of ogame, and several other sites running
I wouldnt agree that 000webhost is a very good host they disable or remove your site easily, just find an other webhost with enough bandwith and that supports evey feature you need

Reaction score
Agree with Yatios , I dont know how you where able to run so much content on it because I have 3 not banned but site blocked accounts there... Now I use a free host 100% online time 10 gb of bandwidth and its greate... But we are going off topic for the ogame section...

Please don't continue the host dicussion

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
000web is sooo bad.

I used to use it before I decided to by myself a VPS. They will ban you for anything that uses even a slither of server resources.

Funpic is the best but it does have ads. They wont ban you for hosting an ogame site.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
i disagree with you msmith... I've used 000web for a long time, never had any problems, even ran a semi-active ogame server from it. never an issue

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Warning: include(./includes/functions.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\xampp\htdocs\xampp\common.php on line 159

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening './includes/functions.php' for inclusion (include_path='.;\xampp\php\PEAR') in C:\xampp\htdocs\xampp\common.php on line 159

Fatal error: Call to undefined function includeLang() in C:\xampp\htdocs\xampp\reg.php on line 12

---------------------------------
help me - Thankyou

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I managed to run it, but the frames does not appear after I login, what should i do ?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
when I go to open Another File it dosent open my the site it say try again leater we couldt connect o_O

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Wonderful little guide, leaving me with a brand new server up and running in no time flat! Kudos to you friend! Also, you didn't butcher the English language badly at all. Didn't even notice until you said something ;)

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
There's no point in using this tutorial, it's outdated and you'll have more issues.

What can't you connect to?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
i got stuck here

6) Go to your browser and type "http://yourname.subdomain.com(or-org)/install/" and hit Enter.
You'll be inside your setup system. Click on install.
The next page will ask you database details, but you still need to create a databse. Open the control panel of 000webhost, go to MySQL and create a new database. Once created fill the setup fields.

Edit: I found it, but when i enter in browser I have this error

The requested URL /install/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Could someone post here working server files pls?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back