Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[GUIDE] HOW TO] Create a new disk partition

Did you find this tutorial user-friendly and easy to understand?

• I didn't follow or read the tutorial.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I did not.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hello guys, in this tutorial, I'll be teaching you how to divide your disk drive into more smaller portions! This is good for Windows 7 Ultimate users where you'll have the option to lock your drive or for users who want to make a secure disk portion or just to have a new portion to put stuff in neat order!

If you still don't understand what I'm trying to teach you today this is what it is, you have your C:\ drive, right, witch is your main System storage, but here we'll be creating a new portion and volume so you can make a new drive name (IE: L:\)

Now, we're going to get more into the tutorial! First, you're going to want to open up your start menu, and search for: diskmgmt.msc -Please be aware that this will allow you to modify your disk drives, so make sure you follow this tutorial step by step!

1. Once you've opened Disk Management, you're going to want to find your main drive you want to put into portions! For example, my main disk drive (HDD) is C:\
Liam - [GUIDE] HOW TO] Create a new disk partition - RaGEZONE Forums

2. Now, you've located yourself to your drive that we're going to split into more than one smaller drives, we're going to create a new Volume, by doing this we're going to shrink, or allocate space for the new drive! So what you're going to want to do is right click on the section where I've boxed out in red in the above image, and choose Shrink Volume. Please note you might need to wait for the Shrink Volume window to open!

3. Now we're up to the part where we can now shrink the volume, for this shrink, I'm going to allocate 1GB of space, and because I want exactly 1GB, I'm going to google search:
What is 1 GB in MB
And by searching this, Google will give me a exact value (1024), if you want to shrink the volume with more space, example 20GB just change the 1 GB to 20 GB or the portion you want! And once Google has given you the exact amount from GBs into MBs, you can enter this value into the Shrink window, like so:

4. Now once that we've set our amount (in my case, 1GB/1024MBs) I'm going to want to click on the button that says 'Shrink'! It will then create the new volume, please allow some time for the computer to shrink the drive into your allocated space you've chosen.

Once it's been shrinked you'll then see the new allocated space in the Disk Management in the main drive (My case, it's C:\) - Now as you can see in the image below, it hasn't been allocated to a new drive, so we're going to give it a new drive name by following the steps below for creating a new portion!

1. We're going to give it a drive name and then once again allocate space for that drive name, and as you can see from the tutorial above, we're created a 1GB Portion space, witch is unallocated! This is great because we're now going to allocate it to our new drive, P:\ - And as you can see, I've already created a Disk Portion called: Private Disk Partition witch has 20GBs. I'm going to use my 1GB portion to store my passwords within it! So now, we're going to start to create the new partition, and by doing so, you're going to want to right click on the new unallocated volume we've created earlier and choose 'New Simple Volume'!

2. Now, we're up to the 'New Simple Volume Wizard', it's very simple, and all you need to do is follow me:

Click on Next

Click on next again, since we've already chosen how much space we want to allocate!

We're now going to choose the drive letter, for mine, I'm going to choose P:, because there I'm going to store my passwords! Then simply click next...

And we're on our final step! Change the 'Volume Label' to the name you want it to say in Computer/My Computer!

Now you've named your volume, you can just click on Next, then it'll take you to the confirmation page, and simply click Finish! You can change the Volume Label any time by right clicking on the drive and clicking on Rename!

Now give it some time, about 5-10 seconds depending on how fast your computer processes, and then it'll create the drive! Now you have successfully created your first disk partition! And you'll now be able to use it, secure it, and do whatever you want with it! It will also show up in your Computer! ( to see a image!)

I thank you very much for reading and following my tutorial, if you have! I have made a very quick video for you guys to follow for ease of creation!

Sorry about the video quality, Camtasia is a horrid screen recorder!​

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Re: [HOW TO] Create a new disk partition

i never use the disk management, i used the most software people use . like easus, norton etc... but it's nice trick :D

Reaction score

Anyone could have found it by searching, also specify next time that you didn't write the tutorial.

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score

Anyone could have found it by searching, also specify next time that you didn't write the tutorial.

All partitioning tutorials are similar because there only really is one way to partition using the GUI. Had a quick look and it doesn't look like a copypasta.

Reaction score

Please refrain from posting comments on my thread, they are un needed and useless. As Junkers said, there is only one way you can create a disk partition, and yes, this was copied, but I wrote this myself. Images were supplied myself, information supplied from Google. And the most funny thing is, people like you know nothing. You're a kid bro, learn to leave, you're un-needed. That is all.

All partitioning tutorials are similar because there only really is one way to partition using the GUI. Had a quick look and it doesn't look like a copypasta.
Oh yes, I agree, and I don't copy and paste unless I have written in the thread/post where the source was from. But this kid needs to learn to keep his mouth shut.

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score

Please refrain from posting comments on my thread, they are un needed and useless. As Junkers said, there is only one way you can create a disk partition, and yes, this was copied, but I wrote this myself. Images were supplied myself, information supplied from Google. And the most funny thing is, people like you know nothing. You're a kid bro, learn to leave, you're un-needed. That is all.

Talk about what's un-needed... don't you give anyone poopie now.

And you can create partitions using command line using the diskpart command, FYI :cool:

Reaction score

Talk about what's un-needed... don't you give anyone poopie now.

And you can create partitions using command line using the diskpart command, FYI :cool:

I'm not? I just don't like being started.. :p

And I never knew... But I still like this way! And no one seems to visit this section... :'[

Web & Interaction Design
Reaction score

i never use the disk management, i used the most software people use . like easus, norton etc... but it's nice trick :D

I can see little point in using third party software to do something so simple. Partitioning drives via command-line is fairly easy to follow, but even so, the inherent disk manager tool will do the job.

Reaction score

my bad, but to be fair he does have a history of copying and pasting other peoples info. good tutorial i guess, not really needed though.

Reaction score

my bad, but to be fair he does have a history of copying and pasting other peoples info. good tutorial i guess, not really needed though.
Past is the past, people who can't forget the past and move on have problems I guess? And thanks, but it is useful for a lot of people, I guarantee you.

Back