Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

PDF Primer for Setting Up the Virtual Machine version of Retail 100.02

RaGEZONE VIP
[VIP] Member
Reaction score
This is specific for tya411's virtual machine base which has hsdn's TERA API (please remember to thank them both for this awesome setup), and getting it running offline.

PDF (Updated June 26, 2022):

2023-11-26 NOTE: I took a long break from this stuff (over an year); I would highly recommend using Archgeus' Video Guide since it does a better job at showing the entire process. Additionally, this tutorial was specific to tya411's (aka snugglefoot) VM which he has noted is not being further maintained, whereas shadow66 continues providing assistance for the one he created (TERA 100.02 SERVER VM 16) which is recommended.

I will leave this PDF (for those who prefer some written info), but will no longer be updating it.

Last edited:
RaGEZONE VIP
[VIP] Member
Reaction score
But 32Gb RAM not enough for run minimal servers, but full complected without LogServer with system as Windows 2012R2 and MS SQL 2017 eats 63Gb RAM
Yeah, it's more or less meant as a guideline strictly for single player offline and at least being able to get into the game world (where most of those world activities aren't an issue). You run up against the backend design limitations with instance servers for the dungeons running (and the more dungeons enabled, things get even dicier). It's ok single player since it's not like there are multiple dungeons being entered/played concurrently. I'll probably edit this in to make it clearer about expectations vs. reality.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Help

Are all the steps to follow done inside the virtual machine or are they done on my real desktop?

Which steps are done inside my real desktop?

What steps are done inside the virtual machine?

Where is the tera client folder saved in my real client or in my virtual machine? after finishing all the steps, which file does the game open with?

Can you explain more clearly each step of your tutorial?

please

Last edited:
RaGEZONE VIP
[VIP] Member
Reaction score
Help

Are all the steps to follow done inside the virtual machine or are they done on my real desktop?

Which steps are done inside my real desktop?

What steps are done inside the virtual machine?

Where is the tera client folder saved in my real client or in my virtual machine? after finishing all the steps, which file does the game open with?

Can you explain more clearly each step of your tutorial?

please
I've updated the tutorial to specify what takes inside and outside the virtual machine (see first post for updated PDF)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply

Can you tell me what steps have been modified in the PDF?

Can you explain in a more detailed or understandable way each step that comes in the PDF ?
1-12

Legendary Battlemage
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply

Can you explain in a more detailed or understandable way each step that comes in the PDF ?
1-12

Its pretty much already explained in detail with screenshots and file locations in the guide. Not sure what other details you are looking for?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I have another doubt:

To do this step it needs to be done inside the virtual server (VMware) or is it done on the real desktop of the pc ?

Step 10: the IP address (from step 5) and the port (from step 8) must be edited inside the launcher binary (inside the TERA client folder) with a utility like Resource Hacker.(inside the TERA client folder) with a utility like Resource Hacker. Click on the string table and edit thethe IP address (and port) in 19 and 20. Change also the Region in 20 from TW to EU if you have downloaded the clientif you have downloaded the Gameforge client (leave it as TW if you use the TW client). Save the changes whenand select File -> Save as last step.

This is specific for tya411's virtual machine base which has hsdn's TERA API (please remember to thank them both for this awesome setup), and getting it running offline.

PDF (Updated June 9, 2022):

Where is what I have to open with the Resource Hacker program?

What is the exact path where the TERA client folder is ?

Step 10: The IP address (from step 5) and port (from step 8) need to be edited inside the launcher binary (inside the TERA client folder) with a utility like Resource Hacker.Click on the binary (inside the TERA client folder) with a utility like Resource Hacker. Click in the string table and editthe IP address (and port) in 19 and 20. Also change the Region in 20 from TW to EU if you have downloaded the Gameforge client.Download the Gameforge client (leave it as TW if you use the TW client). Save the changes whenand select File -> Save as last step.

RaGEZONE VIP
[VIP] Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply

1-12
Try the PDF again, the updated link didn't take when I edited it yesterday.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Try the PDF again, the updated link didn't take when I edited it yesterday.

It doesn't load the game and it has been showing the same thing for more than 1 hour and it doesn't advance.
I need someone to help me and tell me a solution :(:

What is happening?
Murasama - PDF Primer for Setting Up the Virtual Machine version of Retail 100.02 - RaGEZONE Forums
Murasama - PDF Primer for Setting Up the Virtual Machine version of Retail 100.02 - RaGEZONE Forums

RaGEZONE VIP
[VIP] Member
Reaction score
Legendary Battlemage
Reaction score
1. Did you setup the game to use port 8090 like you have in the launcher?
2. You need to copy the launcher into the tera folder

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
PDF (Updated June 9, 2022):

Thanks for this great guide. Unfortunately, the launcher doesn't start even though I followed the steps explained in your guide.
All servers are booting up and running smoothly.
However, the launcher does not open, I only see the icon in the taskbar, but no window.
Have I perhaps overlooked something or can I do some kind of troubleshooting?

RaGEZONE VIP
[VIP] Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this great guide. Unfortunately, the launcher doesn't start even though I followed the steps explained in your guide.
All servers are booting up and running smoothly.
However, the launcher does not open, I only see the icon in the taskbar, but no window.
Have I perhaps overlooked something or can I do some kind of troubleshooting?
If the only thing you see is the loading bar, that means the launcher isn't able to talk to the server (presumed all the steps were done including changing the IP address in the launcher). You should be able to confirm this by trying to ping the IP address of the virtual machine from your regular desktop; if you are getting no response, it's probably the VMWare virtual network adapter setting (VMNet8) for the virtual machine (going to need some screenshots of all that to further assist).

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Step 3: Download the Launcher (this should be copied into the TERA client in the root directory
where the Binaries, Engine, and S1Game folders are located; see the following image).
This reads as though the launcher is available as a compiled binary. I see zero releases for that project, and no compiled downloads. Which is correct? Is there something I missed, or do you need to download the TERA API, node.js, the launcher, and Resource Hacker, then build and patch it yourself?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
This reads as though the launcher is available as a compiled binary. I see zero releases for that project, and no compiled downloads. Which is correct? Is there something I missed, or do you need to download the TERA API, node.js, the launcher, and Resource Hacker, then build and patch it yourself?

Use this link and click on the download button.
->
iExtw3v - PDF Primer for Setting Up the Virtual Machine version of Retail 100.02 - RaGEZONE Forums
This file must then be moved to the folder where the client is as described.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
RaGEZONE VIP
[VIP] Member
Reaction score
Just to add to what Ophimus wrote, the does include the launcher binary; it's located in the dist folder. There is no source code for the launcher binary since it's from the original Taiwanese publisher. The virtual machine itself has all of the base server installation done including node.js and hsdn's TERA API (the existing virtual machine download does not have the latest update; June 16th as of this writing though). Since this tutorial is written for tya411's base virtual machine, I would recommend getting that up and running first (including being able to register an account, creating a character, and making sure it can enter the game world) before updating the API/anything on it for troubleshooting purposes.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I have a question. I went through your tutorial and successfully made an account and entered the game. I have no intention on making a TERA private server, I just want to play offline and I'm new to all of this so I'm not that knowledgeable as yet. Was wondering from the server-side how do I start adding things into the game like tikat shops, elite status etc., editing items? Like which program on the VM do I have to use and how do I use it? Is it possible to make a tutorial on how to do these things in the PlanetDB while playing the game offline? I have looked at all the threads on the various things to add to the game but I just don't have the knowledge on how to edit the PlanetDB stuff on the SQL program (or whatever program else) on the VM. It will be greatly appreciated if you can do this for beginners thanks! :)

Back