PDF Primer for Setting Up the Virtual Machine version of Retail 100.02

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    MemberRank
    Apr 2014 Join Date
    152Posts
    Is the VM servion only avaviiable online for very few people? like less than 10 people?

Quote Originally Posted by slayerjerman View Post
    OK so here's how I did setup mine for LAN and I also verified that multiple PCs with the same client connects. I was able to play a 4-person group the other night with my family.

1. In the VmWare settings/properties for the server itself. Before you power on the VM...

Change the Network Adapter from NAT to Bridged: Connect directly to the physical network. Also check mark "replicate physical network connection state" too. (explained on step 6/page 2 in the PDF).

Note: The setup guides all say to use NAT, but with that setting, the server VM only pulls a subnet IP and only works on the localhost PC. IT must be BRIDGED for LAN play.

Once it is Bridged the VM can receive an automatic DHCP local network IP address such as 192.168.1.xxx, which should be what your other PCs on your network/LAN should be pulling too...

2. Start the VM.
    Open a command prompt (CMD) and use ipconfig command to verify the VM has a 192.168.1.xxx IP address.

• IF YES, verify that you can connect to the internet (speedtest.net, run a connection test).
    • IF YES, verify that you can connect to another local PC on the same network using \\yourpcnname and see any shared folders...etc. Alternatively you can try the command in the prompt for "ping 192.168.1.xxx" from one PC to the VM or from the VM to any real PC...etc.

IF NO to any above, run the network trouble shooter or set the network adapter's properties to obtain an IP automatically and retest the above. I had to do this on my fresh VM when setting up the server VM for the first time.

3. Change your server and launcher IPs.
    If your VM is now pulling a LAN IP address staring with 192.168.1.xxx (same as your other PCs on the same network, ideally), now you need to set the VM's server IPs to the LAN IP.

• Check D:\Server\arb_gw\confg_ar_gw.txt (both lines 5 and 6). leave hub_ip alone on line 1.
    • Check D:\Server\Executable\Bin\DeploymentConfig.xml (line 23, PDF page4)
    • Check D:\tera-api\.env (line 29, PDF page 4, step 8) (I am also using port 8090 as in the PDF)
    • Change your Launcher.EXE using resource hacker program and set your IPs in that (step 10, page 5 in PDF)
    • Start SQL Management Studio and be sure to set the IP address is correct there for the TCP/IP setting (step 11, page 6 of PDF)

4. After all that, start the Tera server on the VM according to the PDF in the correct order.

5. Try starting Tera and connecting to TeraServer from the HOST PC (if your host is running the VM) with the modified Launcher... Be sure to allow Tera through the firewalls when prompted.

6. IF all is working at this point, COPY the Tera client to another PC that is not the VM or HostPC, see if it can connect also.

Optional (I did NOT have to forward any ports on my router in my VM server setup, but I left the firewall off on the VM as the PDF says), it may also help if you forward the ports 7401, 7501, 7600-7602, 7702, 7801-7803, 7802, 7901, 8800, 8081, 8082, 8090, 11001, 10001 to the VM's LAN IP address.

MemberRank
    Apr 2022 Join Date
    98Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnessguy0 View Post
    Is the VM servion only avaviiable online for very few people? like less than 10 people?
    No, the setup can scale depending on available hardware resources. The original TW virtual machine and this one by tya411 are more or less similar to a QA test configuration environment where everything is running on a single "machine" (both in the virtual machine and on actual hardware context), which is also suitable for single player offline play or local LAN play with a few concurrent players. You don't need a lot of hardware resources for an offline setup since it's basically just a single person or maybe just a few in a LAN setup where they are mostly doing things together.

This is in contrast to trying to take these files, and trying to run a publicly available rogue/private server similar to a live production environment like how it was with the official publishers, where there will be a higher number of players online concurrently doing all sort of different activities. In this case, not everything would be running on a single system (it's actually not the recommended way since just the worldserver by itself can consume a lot of memory to support a couple of hundred concurrent players, where it's not wise to have that contending for resources for dungeon server instances as one simple example). This is why I wrote the tutorial with an emphasis on offline (where you can get away with running it on systems with limited RAM). With that said, the entire setup is designed to scale upwards with the various processes each running on their own server hardware. So the launcher and other front end processes running on one server, database server on another, arbiter server on another, worldserver on yet another, etc. Naturally, something like that goes way beyond the scope of a simple tutorial like this one for offline use.

This site provides a visual overview of how the different TERA server processes communicate with each other (and how one can design their setup to scale based on objectives).

MemberRank
    Nov 2017 Join Date
    63Posts
    Hello,

Thank you very much for the tutorial, you have done a very nice job, for now I can't launch VMware because of the 8GB of RAM, which with 8GB of RAM will not be able to create a Tera 100.02+ server. I ordered 64GB, I'll try again later.

PS : Correction, I changed VMware settings to 8GB, now it launches.
    Last edited by Misty24; 15-09-22 at 10:18 AM.

MemberRank
    Nov 2022 Join Date
    13Posts
    Is it possible to change the settings on the server files on this virtual machine so that you can use a character name that includes a space represented by a period like on Menma's Tera or the official game servers?

MemberRank
    Jun 2020 Join Date
    RussiaLocation
    363Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RadKnight View Post
    Is it possible to change the settings on the server files on this virtual machine so that you can use a character name that includes a space represented by a period like on Menma's Tera or the official game servers?
    Yes, you need to configure the InputRestrictionData.xml server datasheet for English language.
    You can just use InputRestrictionData-0.xml from EUR client DC.

MemberRank
    Nov 2022 Join Date
    13Posts
    What specific parts of the InputRestrictionData-0.xml client file do you use to setup the InputRestrictionData.xml server file for English language usage?

MemberRank
    Jun 2020 Join Date
    RussiaLocation
    363Posts
    You can use all the content of the file.

MemberRank
    Nov 2022 Join Date
    13Posts
    I got it to work, thanks. I just copied everything in the InputRestrictionData-00000.xml client file from <CharacterSetRestriction> in line 2 all the way to the bottom and used that to replace that same section in the server file. The Arbiter server would crash when I only copied some sections of that client file into the server file but seems to work fine when I used the file's whole content. The only thing that bugs me is that the World server crashed once during the second time I started up the game server.

MemberRank
    Jan 2023 Join Date
    9Posts
    I followed all the steps of the guide and seem to have my server running on the VM, however I can't connect to the server from the host computer at all. I did all the steps to configure IP including editing the launcher, and I was able to access the server and create an account by running the launcher in the virtual machine directly, but not when running from the host. I can't ping the VM from the host either, so it seems like there is some issue preventing them from communicating it, but I checked Step 6 several times and everything seems to have been done correctly as described in the guide. The VM is able to access the internet, I just can't reach it from the host for some reason.

I also tried setting it to Bridged, following Slayerjerman's guide earlier in the thread, but it didn't automatically find my home network like it was supposed to, and I couldn't connect it to the internet at all.

MemberRank
    Jan 2023 Join Date
    9Posts
    The site lagged and seems to have double posted. Please delete this one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Advertisement