Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Official [MEGATHREAD] Habbo 2020

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
This thread was created to center all discussion and feedback, as I noticed there was a few threads about it and thought it would be better to contain all discussion into a single thread. All discussion and posts about the new UI and client will go here for the time being.

I will keep updating this thread with more news once Habbo releases more information down the line.

(7 October 2019)

About an hour ago prior to this thread being created, Habbo teased their looks of the new client:

And then they followed it up with more information and a better quality screenshot of the client:

Here is the following content from the news article:

HABBO 2020 PROGRESS UPDATE

As many of the Habbos in our community are aware, Flash will be discontinued by the end of 2020. You may also know that for some time now, we've been hard at work developing a brand new replacement client to ensure Habbo is open, alive and well for the foreseeable future.

Last month we shared a few core facts on our social media pages, but now we'd like to go into a bit more detail and even give you a first look at the new client.

NEW INFORMATION:
  • The new client is being built with Unity, a cross-platform game engine.
  • As time progresses, we'll be able to go into more detail about specific features and how they will look. Examples include Habbo profiles, the Marketplace, etc.
  • While the new client will look and feel very similar to Habbo as it exists today, some things will look and function differently.

YOU CAN GET AN IDEA OF WHAT THE NEW UI LOOKS LIKE HERE:

Quackster - [MEGATHREAD] Habbo 2020 - RaGEZONE Forums

1: LEVEL 2: CHAT HISTORY 3: CHAT BUBBLE COLOUR 4. GROUP ICON 5. BUILD MODE 6. ROOM INFO 7. THE NAVIGATOR 8. INVENTORY 9. PEOPLE 10. SETTINGS 11. PURSE 12. SHOP 13: PENDING INCOME

Please note that this is an early version of the client, so some elements could easily change.

TALK TO US!

We want to hear what you think of the updates we share with you and what you hope to see in the future - near and long term. Our team follows the #Habbo2020 hashtag across Twitter and Instagram, so make sure to use this when sharing related content!

-Habbo staff

25th October 2019

Habbo has released a new statement regarding #Habbo2020:

HABBO 2020'S LOOKS EDITOR
As we finish off more and more of Habbo 2020's features, we want to ensure we keep you all up to date and aware of what the client will actually look like before its release next year.

The new client's looks editor is largely similar to the existing one in a practical sense, but as you can see from the picture below it is cosmetically quite different.

Please note that the client we've pictured is still an early version, so some elements could easily change and probably will.

Let us know what you think of the looks editor using the #Habbo2020 hashtag on social media!

-Habbo Staff

HABBO 2020'S SHOP AND MARKETPLACE
Great news for traders: Habbo 2020 has a vastly improved shop and marketplace! We've improved search functionality, filtering and categorisation and we've also added a couple of cool new features. We've listed some of them below!

SHOP:
The Shop's 'Premium' section will be where you get your currency and memberships from in Habbo 2020.
Searching for and filtering items in the Shop has been made clearer and easier.
The Shop's layout has been changed to make featured and discounted items easier to see.
See below for a more visual representation of what the new Shop will look like:

MARKETPLACE:
We've added a much-requested 'Recall all' button to the Marketplace! (Note that this may not be what the button is actually called in the final version of the client.)
We've altered the marketplace tax so that it is more progressive. Lower-priced items will be taxed less than they are currently.

Above, you can get an idea of what the Marketplace will look like.

Habbos, please note that these are still early versions of the Shop and Marketplace. We're making small changes and tweaks as we develop the Habbo 2020 client. Let us know what you think of the Marketplace and the Shop using the #Habbo2020 hashtag on social media!

-Habbo Staff

HABBO 2020 UPDATE
Habbo 2020 has a much neater and clearer way of showing you read_all_about_it_small_promothe achievementsyou have and the progress you've made with them. Also... we've added brand new achievements for you to complete! Here you can get an idea of what the new achievements window looks like. #Habbo

-Habbo Staff

Habbo 2020: beta phase

Since the beginning of May, Sulake has been keeping secret dialogues with players from different communities about the beta phase of Habbo 2020, which is expected to start operating later this month. Officially, there is no public information on the matter.

The start of the next phase will count on the help of select users from all communities to access the new version of Habbo, which will not be available to the general public. Some players have already been contacted and are awaiting further instructions from Sulake. Currently, no user has access to the new version of the game.

HOW WILL THIS WORK?

A beta phase means that a product is still in the development stage, that is, not fully finalized, but that it can be made available to a limited audience for the purpose of reporting bugs and feedback to developers. For this reason, only a few users will be able to access this version.

The selection process has already started in some communities, following this flow:

Local staffs choose users who will be able to access the beta version. Fansite members, ambassadors and builders may have a preference in the selection process. Each community can have its own selection criteria;

Selected players are communicated directly within Habbo in order to confirm interest*. Ambassadors, fansites and builders can be communicated through other channels that they keep in touch with Habbo;

After confirming users, they will receive further instructions on how the program will work. This phase has not yet occurred in any community.

Not all communities have contacted players about this new phase. For now, this will be the selection criterion in each of them:

No information
8 unspecified users
No information
6 fansite members, 1 ambassador and 1 builder
8 unspecified users
3 fansite members, 3 users, 1 ambassador and 1 builder
8 unspecified users
3 fansite members, 2 ambassadors (also fansite members), 2 builders (also fansite members) and 1 user
No information

In some cases, fansites, ambassadors and builders may also indicate names. In principle, only 8 users from each community will be selected. But it is not clear whether this number may vary according to the size of each hotel. All of these players will access a single hotel, in English, along with staffs from the Habbo development team and local staffs will not be present. It is also not clear how this access will happen.. Users are expected to return to Habbo with feedback on the new game.

It is expected that as of next Monday, Habbo Staffs from all communities will intensify the selection process and selected users will receive instructions on this new phase.

It is not known whether or when the beta phase will be available to the general public, nor how long this phase will last. Habbo 2020 project was first announced last September, and since then, a series of publications on of the game. The official launch of the new Habbo is expected for August, during the game's anniversary celebrations.

* Be safe: forms on external websites or contacts directly via email is a scam.

September 18th:

Previous discussions (both topics closed):

- http://forum.ragezone.com/f801/habbo-teased-client-1165793/index3.html#post8970818
- http://forum.ragezone.com/f801/client-announced-1164510/

This thread will be moved to official discussions section once such talk dies down.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Re: [MEGATHREAD] Habbo shows first look of the new UI

Look at qwek, trying to claim all the fame!

Honestly didn't know there were two threads lul.

Ontopic:

I hope they really read through the comments on their Twitter. The state of this interface just won't do it for 95% of the desktop users.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score

Current youth doesn't use desktop computers. That's the reasoning why the interface looks like it belongs on a phone or tablet.

Last edited:
Reaction score

I agree with above. All the kids I know use phones and tablets to do their thing. It would be a stupid thing to not make it mobile compatible. For once they did a "good" job on doing so.

I don't know what the Twitter-people are shouting, but if scaled correctly I don't mind this UI on desktop too.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score

Current youth doesn't use desktop computers. That's the reasoning why the interface looks like it belongs on a phone or tablet.

Habbo already has a mobile app which satisfies that logic, in true Sulake fashion however, they've continued to disregard the user feedback which has already alerted them that not many people, if at all, are really pleased with what's been happening with that app and in doing so, they're currently risking repeating the same mistakes all over again, the only difference being is that they're introducing that same cluster-duck to a larger player base, i.e: the desktop version.

Your logic is also a tad bit off, just because you need to design a mobile compatible application does not mean that UX goes out the window, you don't have to sacrifice the look and feel of your product, and more importantly, the end-user's experience to get there, because otherwise... what's the point?

In any case, they've made it clear through their article that this was just a preliminary design that's subject to further change and development, so I'm inclined to give them an undeserved benefit of the doubt and hope that the massive backlash from their users will get them to honor the player-base's wishes and go back to the drawing board.

Reaction score

Eh. I have to give my opinion about it but I don't know.

The pending income and level makes me "worried" Habbo will change too much. I'm not sure what it is exactly and I'm not immediately saying it's going to be bad. But Habbo didn't always have the best ideas.
I really like the style of the currencies and buttons 4, 5 and 6. I'm not sure about the icons to the right of those though.

I'm curious to see how it turns out though. For them I just hope they won't screw up like they did when going over to Flash.

Run, but I'll find you.
Reaction score

Yikes! What are they doing..

I still remember the days when Ediootti was showing off concepts for that georgous UI which failed to be fully implemented :(

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score

Yuuuck.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score

Your logic is also a tad bit off, just because you need to design a mobile compatible application does not mean that UX goes out the window, you don't have to sacrifice the look and feel of your product, and more importantly, the end-user's experience to get there, because otherwise... what's the point?
They don't care about non-mobile players. Logic still holds.

Reaction score

Habbo is doing what every company is doing, building mobile first. It's no surprise, they're owned by a huge company now who knows their user base. Ever tried seeing which devices everyone uses? Most users definitely use mobile. They're making it easier to play without having to download an app now, hence why it will be supported with browsers but not built with desktop in mind. A lot easier to manage a single deployment vs constantly dicking with app stores

Reaction score

What makes you say mobile users dont have to download an app anymore? I would prefer to download the app from an appstore then having it run inside a browser. The appstore would also make more sense when deploying the thing and getting recognition. It can gain more "views" there than on a crappy website behind a login-wall.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score

They don't care about non-mobile players. Logic still holds.
I never said your logic doesn't hold, I said it was a tad bit off, meaning it failed to account for something important. I elaborated by explaining that just because you're focusing primarily on providing a mobile experience does not mean you get to throw UX out the window and disregard how the end-user will take to your product.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score

In response to everyone commenting "it's a good thing they went with a mobile design", they clearly stated in the Twitter thread that this is a screenshot of the Desktop version. It's totally cool to have common layout aspects between desktop & mobile design, but the Desktop version should not be looking like a mobile app at all, that would just be ridiculous. Kinda makes me think of the strategy behind Windows 8 & windows phone.

I do agree that, with some downscaling of some ui elements, it might look just fine for desktop as well.

Gave my full review here:

Aside from the criticism on the UI in its current state, I think a fresh look for the habbo client is a really good thing.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score

Sulake are making a massive mistake going down this route with a game that is largely kept afloat by nostalgia. A big part of what made up Habbo's identity and appeal was the fact that it was an oldschool looking pixel-art game that reminded people of simpler times on the web. Ditching the Volter font and smoothing the edges on the UI a few years ago were two big mistakes in my books, and I feel like this update might put the final nail in the coffin if they don't watch it. It's bordering on being totally unrecognisable to the game it started off as.

Reaction score

What makes you say mobile users dont have to download an app anymore? I would prefer to download the app from an appstore then having it run inside a browser. The appstore would also make more sense when deploying the thing and getting recognition. It can gain more "views" there than on a crappy website behind a login-wall.
HTML5 support says they don't have to download an app anymore.

The key word is "have to" which is synonymous with "required.". The whole point of it isn't so they don't lose a tiny margin of the desktop players who eat doritos and are 30 years old, it's to make the game itself easier to access for people who may be in that weird area where their device can't support the actual app itself, but can the browser.

Sulake are making a massive mistake going down this route with a game that is largely kept afloat by nostalgia. A big part of what made up Habbo's identity and appeal was the fact that it was an oldschool looking pixel-art game that reminded people of simpler times on the web. Ditching the Volter font and smoothing the edges on the UI a few years ago were two big mistakes in my books, and I feel like this update might put the final nail in the coffin if they don't watch it. It's bordering on being totally unrecognisable to the game it started off as.
I disagree. A lot of their player base probably don't know what the hand is, nostalgia is the key for retros and survivability. Even then, not by much. Most of the more popular retros avoid nostalgic instances all together and go for some weird modern thing.

We have to remember that Sulake is doing this for themselves and who their target is now. It's owned by a giant corporation who probably not only requires them to follow through with this new UI, but also has researched and discovered this UI would be the most effective.

The UI sucks imo, but they didn't choose it for no reason.

Reaction score

Nobody takes into consideration that the screenshot they teased is for their mobile / tablet client and perhaps desktop gets something more traditional looking?

wyaYtzd - [MEGATHREAD] Habbo 2020 - RaGEZONE Forums

What about unity? What do you guys think on that change? Will it be possible to still record and obtain future content from Habbo?

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Elite Diviner
Reaction score

guess it's up to us then

Back