Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Private Hosting CMS Seperate From Emu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Would their be any downside from hosting the CMS + Databases Seperate from the emulator?
For Example, hosting the website, and mysql databases on a webhost, and having the emulator on a vps connect via remote mysql to the datatabases on the webhost.

I'm wondering because I plan on doing so, but would like to know if their is any repercussionotherwise I'd just host it all on the vps.

The only thing I can think of, is maybe a slight lag?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
In the same datacentre? Maybe that would be okay, otherwise, the lag would be unbearable.

Users don't mind waiting 1-2 seconds to login, users do mind waiting 1-2 seconds to place a single piece of furniture (this is the higher end of the latency of course, but even 0.5ms would be horrible). So the better way to do it is have the database on the emulator server and have the webserver connect to the emulator server database, but make sure you set it up securely.

Off-topic:
As someone who owned 'multiple hotels' and was active in the scene in 2011-2012, this is stuff you should know about. That's why I have disregarded anything you said and added you to my ignore list, you're a noob prancing about as an expert (and no I'm not an expert either).

Edit: This isn't expert stuff it's the very basics, you don't need to have hosted them separately to know that each query travelling however far to another server and then receiving the response would result in significant latency.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks, and nice off topic, I didn't know owning multiple hotels years ago, would make you an expert. It does give me experience, and I've never hosted them seperately which is why I asked.

Which is what I assumed would happen as I said all I can think of is their being some lag.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I do the same, CMS + DB on one server + Emu on another. Just get both from same Host and it will be fine.

Reaction score
You can do it, but you can't just get them from random places (Emulator in USA, Client files in Russia, SQL in japan, etc...).

You have to know that, if you want to separate everything, you need to make everything close to each other.

User should be close to the emulator server, which should close to the database server (or used locally).

I.e if you buy a server in USA, then you must add a database storage in USA, for faster connection between server and SQL. You can make your own network with something like Azure Servers (as far as I know there hadn't been any DMCA takedown with it), even though it might be kinda expensive ^^

tl-dr: you can make a pretty stable setup as you can make a very ****'ed up one. So my short answer is YOU CAN, but YOU SHOULDN'T, since you would end up paying more, with a chance of not making a good setup. Having a CDN is good though for clientfiles as far as I know... You could try it if you have money to spend ^^

Reaction score
A brilliant idea - something that comes up every now and again over the years.

An ideal setup would be hosting the site/cms on a linux box and then the main emulator on the windows-based server.

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
You can use database mirroring, so that wouldn't be an issue.

If you're smart you only separate the account information (username, password, e-mail etc) from the game database. This allows you to run 2 databases, the game database can be ran on the same emulator so it keeps the load time low. As for the website you can use a different 'account' or 'website/cms' database to log-in. You can cache some of the game information to boost performance. There are many solutions for this problem.

Rogu3
Reaction score
Would their be any downside from hosting the CMS + Databases Seperate from the emulator?
For Example, hosting the website, and mysql databases on a webhost, and having the emulator on a vps connect via remote mysql to the datatabases on the webhost.

I'm wondering because I plan on doing so, but would like to know if their is any repercussionotherwise I'd just host it all on the vps.

The only thing I can think of, is maybe a slight lag?
Make sure the hosts will allow it. I've tried it before, but even if you allow the IP, usually the hosts block all incoming and outgoing remote connections through 3306. You could try hosting the CMS on the webhosts and connecting it to the Database and Emulator on the VPS, but I feel like that's redundant and you're just wasting money on extra hosting when you can do it right through the VPS. As far as security from exploits, look for a very basic and simple CMS, and try not to add too many plugins and pages that connect to the database.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
So here's my two cents as someone who has done this before.

I have a setup where I have a windows box dedicated to the EMU, and linux box for the cms and two linux boxs for database a Master and Slave (Overkill I know).

After fiddling with the mysql settings for a while I got everything working and it is all running. as for latency I haven't noticed any!

Granted all 4 machines are running on top a VMWare ESXi 5.5 server so there is virtually no latency between servers.

I got bored and decided to experiment with this and it seems to be working great. I'm going to open a hotel with this setup in the future so if your interested in keeping up with any statistics I pull off the setup just PM me.

Have a great day!

-Edit-

Also feel free to pm me if you have any questions about setting or the like.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The General that is correct they are also all located on the same physical server so the network between them is a virtual switch so the only limit for latency is the communication between the VMware hypervisor and the nas iscsi drive.

But I will say this only to confirm what everyone above has said if the servers are not all located within the same data center there will be latency issues. However in my case they are a in the same data center and hosted on the same server.

A possible scenario for this on a production level installation would be to purchase a dedicated server and set up hyper-v on the dedicated server as your virtualization solution to create your multiple server on the same physical "host device" virtually eliminating if not all but most of the latency issues previously stated.

Rogu3
Reaction score
So here's my two cents as someone who has done this before.

I have a setup where I have a windows box dedicated to the EMU, and linux box for the cms and two linux boxs for database a Master and Slave (Overkill I know).

After fiddling with the mysql settings for a while I got everything working and it is all running. as for latency I haven't noticed any!

Granted all 4 machines are running on top a VMWare ESXi 5.5 server so there is virtually no latency between servers.

I got bored and decided to experiment with this and it seems to be working great. I'm going to open a hotel with this setup in the future so if your interested in keeping up with any statistics I pull off the setup just PM me.

Have a great day!

-Edit-

Also feel free to pm me if you have any questions about setting or the like.
Awesome answer, but I feel that anyone in the Habbo Section looking to make a hotel (with an exception of a few of us) are not only incapable of doing this, but would find that to be a lot more difficult then simply getting a Windows VPS and doing it the long way haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back