Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Private Help|Server specs to players online?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm planning to open a maplestory server soon and im not sure which specs im looking for.
I'm aiming to have around 100-150 online players at the same time.
so which server specs should i pick?
should i get VPS or DEDI?

is the RAM important to the server or the higher CPU the higher player count?

Thanks!

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
VPS is more sufficient and if you want :p can i join in your server as a staff? :)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers!
So the more RAM the more Players online?
cpu is not that important on maplestory server?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
1 Core (Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 @ 3.40GHz)
4.00GB Ram
100GB Disk
1Gbps Network Connection

Is that good enough?

BloopBloop
Reaction score
1 Core (Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 @ 3.40GHz)
4.00GB Ram
100GB Disk
1Gbps Network Connection

Is that good enough?

Depends on the source, for CelinoSEA based source i would say yes , for everything else in this section then i say : maybe

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Depends on the source, for CelinoSEA based source i would say yes , for everything else in this section then i say : maybe
and the problem is that it has only 1 vcpu core?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

I ran a v83 server with ~83-ish users online at once with 1GB Ram and 2x2.20GHz VPS, and there was no lag.
How you ask? I followed this guide to increase performance and find memory leaks.
If you don't know how to find memory leaks even after that guide, use Netbeans profiler to run your server and it will show where your java code is using a lot of memory, and it will be highlighted red if it's a memory leak.
You can also use their in-built clean up button to remove all the unnecessarily used memory. However, using this will not prevent it from happening again.

Or hire someone to do it for you.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
How you ask? I followed this guide to increase performance and find memory leaks.
That guide actually has a few problems/incorrect things.
Notably:
1. The "SpawnPoint Leak" is not a leak (java doesn't work that way)
2. "Storing too much information" is inconsequential. Consider loading string data of 30,000 objects from the wz file. Then you will be using 30000 * 100 extra bytes (and that's VERY generous!), which is 2.86mb more. You should not care about 2.86mb of lost memory over the lifetime of your server, and if you do, then you are looking at the wrong places and prioritizing the wrong things.
3. In the "Other things that can improve performance", 3 isn't always true, 5 isn't always true, and 6 doesn't affect performance.
The other things are good, especially the things about Map saving leak and Timers issue (both of those are pretty bad problems). I can't speak for the scripting thing.

If you don't know how to find memory leaks even after that guide, use Netbeans profiler to run your server and it will show where your java code is using a lot of memory, and it will be highlighted red if it's a memory leak.
You can also use their in-built clean up button to remove all the unnecessarily used memory. However, using this will not prevent it from happening again.
I am doubtful of this. I haven't profiled something in a long time and don't remember anything about red highlighting, but if it's new then it probably has something to do with surviving generations, and not everything that survives several generations is a memory leak. You should be very cautious with this.

You should be looking at the profiler as a reference, and heap dumps are very useful too.

BloopBloop
Reaction score

No i was not talking about the cpu, a lot of sources do have memory leaks, meaning that the more players, or in the worst case for every connection your memory increases (where as the situation is that the gc can't clean it up even afther player is disconnected), althoug in the above post is already explained how to find memory leaks.

(O_o(o_O(O_O)o_O)O_o)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I've been running with +100 online and i've never gotten above 2.5 GB ram used. So with 4 and a decent source, you should be fine.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
damn. what server do u run lmaooo
Runs Acernics V145. Gotten a bunch of players cause of Ellinia Drama, and the ellinia players not wanting to join extalia so they go on the next best.(Hawt = poop)

Last edited:
(O_o(o_O(O_O)o_O)O_o)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Runs Acernics V145. Gotten a bunch of players cause of Ellinia Drama, and the ellinia players not wanting to join extalia so they go on the next best.(Hawt = poop)

I was lolling when that happened. Acernis is far from good. But I think we can indeed all agree that joining hawt isn't an option.
Was suprised the server was keeping up so well with all those people online. Atm we don't have more than 20 people online. (makes sense that most left after seeing the many bugs our beta still had/has.)

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
What was the ellinia drama?
Well from the post made by Anima.

"Mythos and Conspiracy made several in-game messages alluding to a premature close of Ellinia"

So everyone dropped a bunch of poop like a bunch of retards and now community is all mad since its not closing.. They are opening a new world "Bera" so people can start fresh since they were retarded and dropped everything.

Also what's more funny, apparently "stress and lack of sleep" means time to joke about and say server is closing.

Back