Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Private What do I have to learn to be able to understand Maplestory Dev?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello RageZone MS Dev community, I have been a member for quite some years now. I have always been a silent leecher creating private servers for my personal entertainment. It has always been fun playing around in my own little world but quickly realized the Sources were a bit...incomplete. I always wanted to learn and tried but my mind wasn't capable of retaining so much Java jargon and the endless amounts of code.

Here I am, 10 years later, and for about a year and half Ive been taking Java classes just for the purpose of understanding the massive amount of work you guys have put into this community. I am over the whole make a server, post it on gtop100, hire some gms (who turn out to be low total lives, just in it for the Power High) and hopefully the donations start rolling in.

Ive been taking some pretty basic Java courses and read a couple of books but I have yet to find all the information to properly understand whats going on.

Could you guys please tell me what is required to be able to understand a source completely or well at least the most. For example, what Java subjects are crucial in being able to have a successful development?

Thank You!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi there.

A suggestion for your first steps into development on a big project, that I used back when I initially booted improvements on a source that I've been developing on: try practicing some minor changes (almost trivial) on places that you know very well where are you changing (this is important...) and want to see things working on a way you expect to be; also keep track of the results that your changes have done. Scripts are a fine opt on this one for starts.

Remember, the machine is your "artificial judge", you'll notice whether some changes you've done made it through or not, and try to learn from it, be it in-action mistakes or successful changes. This can be said to be a first step on taking on programming, be it in small or large projects alike. Practice, it's much like trying to start riding a bike, if you allow me this analogy.

For eventual errors in this process, don't hesitate in using Google/StackOverflow, like a lot! They do wonders in helping you, from small console problems troubleshooting to miscellaneous algorithm patterns to solve the task at hand.

Eventually, another point you may find issues ahead is about the algorithmic nuances of programming / development. While learning Java in itself is a great starting point to start visualizing your study object since it's at arm's length running using Java, you probably shouldn't overlook the fact that the concept of coding involves many structural factors in place at the same time:

- Many tasks involve the implementation of algorithms to be tackled thoroughly. Understanding algorithms (such as sorting/searching on data tables, list/map/set book-keeping, concurrency programming) goes beyond the scope of programming language.

- Sane use of resources when performing a computational operation (or when managing any kind of code, by all effects). This shouldn't be a big issue on understanding programming, but naturally involves a bit of experience.

- Before setting up for some coding extravaganza, be sure to trace very well the objective and every step of this process. You really won't like "shoe-ing" yourself from the ankle. Recently I've trapped myself in such a situation, oh the regrets...

- Programming oft involves revisiting other persons' or even yours' modules for fixing/improvements. Thus, the code writer must expect their code to be read by at least other 10 people, so keeping it simple is essential.

Those are valid for any programming language, any programming paradigm you may come across.

Apologies for the TL:DR wall of text, it's kinda about that the contents of my answer.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Ronan, thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. I wasn't expecting this much wisdom in an answer.

Java I can understand and even then it's infinitely complex but what I'm really trying to get at is that most of you guys aren't just talking Java when creating and running a server, you guys are talking about mutliple languages in these higher version sources. I enjoy "coding" as a hobby, learning Java is hard because it's not like typing an essay its creating a functional object. Ergg its hard to define what im trying to ask for so please bare with me.

Scripting the npcs is fairly straightforward and going over the source code in Eclipse is a challenge but are there more languages I need to know? How and where can I learn the necessary stuff to communicate between Java and the database. Is there anything other than just entering data into tables in MySql that is important for a healthy server? Redirectors are in C# or C++ I believe for these new higer version sources. It's very overwhelming but I want to learn but there is too much to do in these servers that I know that whatever I know now isnt going to cut it. Once again thank you!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, in summary, all languages you need to know are those that are being used in the source code and stack you're using. If some scripts' file extension uses *.py naturally you should get a grip on Python, etc. From my knowledge, maple servers generally use one source language, one script and one SQL, so there are about 3 different language syntax for you to learn. That aside from the redirector case you've stated, so you may rule in learning C#/C++ as well.

As you asked how and where to learn development, from experience, to understand the basics of programming as a whole (different languages holds different syntax approaches but most follow the same logical premise), I've learned those while attending university, but for the timely-fit scenario attending a technical degree (online courses like Coursera, Udemy) should get the job done. Those looking to have a healthy server naturally should follow this step, since unexpected issues in the current source that need to be handled are bound to happen anytime.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, in summary, all languages you need to know are those that are being used in the source code and stack you're using. If some scripts' file extension uses *.py naturally you should get a grip on Python, etc. From my knowledge, maple servers generally use one source language, one script and one SQL, so there are about 3 different language syntax for you to learn. That aside from the redirector case you've stated, so you may rule in learning C#/C++ as well.

As you asked how and where to learn development, from experience, to understand the basics of programming as a whole (different languages holds different syntax approaches but most follow the same logical premise), I've learned those while attending university, but for the timely-fit scenario attending a technical degree (online courses like Coursera, Udemy) should get the job done. Those looking to have a healthy server naturally should follow this step, since unexpected issues in the current source that need to be handled are bound to happen anytime.

Just the answer I needed!

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Good answer! By reading your answer, I have decided to go to the university, instead of trying to learn everything by myself. And now I should write my dissertation but as I was never good at writing I think I will use the writing service which I have found to write it for me. Especially since I have a lot of projects I am working on and I don't have enough time to focus on the dissertation. Thanks for your advice!

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
HI there I have been reading your blogs for a long time as I have written a blog on the topic .Vmug is app for gain the knowledge so there is huge discount for the new studenrts.So what are you waiting for grab this offer now.Android is a mobile operating system based on a modified version of the Linux kernel and other open source software, designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.The Android Developers Blog is the official blog of the Android Platform and it's the first place to check for Android announcements. One of the highlights of the Android Developers Blog are the Android Developers Stories, where Google shines a light on some of the more unusual projects being created with their platform.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hello. Never liked to study and do homework. That's why I always tried to write off someone. But one day the teacher caught me and gave me a bad grade. I had to look for another option. And I found They coolly wrote me essays and various works. They are true professionals in their field.

Last edited:
Back