Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Path of Exile EMU

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
why would anyone emu the game? no one would play it, maybe someone as a side project but whats the point

Staff member
Reaction score
why wouldnt anyone play it? I started to play some days ago and I saw several players. I didnt find any party though... maybe becuase of my server IDK.. but this game really doesnt have any players? I liked this game... what game do you suggest?

Reaction score
What? PoE doesn't have players?! LOL

PoE have a huge player base, probably is a region thing, play it on US server and you're good to go.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Everyone is waiting the seasons ends, when that happends it will sky rocket the players again. There are really hardcore players who will support the game and they will condemn the private server for sure.

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey man, long time no see. I know very little about the game, dont quite understand this "league thing" hehe

But I dont see "GGG are good people" as a reason to not emu the game. Too much work, yes, I agree, emulating any game is too much work.
My reason to emu the game I think its the reason that anyone wants to open a private server of any game.

In every game people that plays the official server will get annoyed about a private server, thats normal

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
No pay2win only cosmetic, free to play, they listen their player base, players pay a lot of money showing their support and trust in the company, they even support twitch channels, they release patchs every 2-3 weeks.

What can a private server offer besides the original? Maybe instead of a private server you could write a tool for this game, people will donate for sure.

Play it a bit, its a bit overhelm at first but you get used to it.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Found something interesting. Requesting the client in the request section.

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm currently trying to assist st-m4il with finding the clients they need. Otherwise, I'm 100% down with trying to build Emu but I'm not 100% sure where you start with something like this.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
If anyone else is serious about working on this, let's set up a Discord or chat privately. I found quite a few resources... including a document someone wrote detailing how they went about decrypting the login traffic and writing both a login and basic game server. PM me if you guys wanna work on this together.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Path of Exile is still fresh and FTP, so why even bother to emulate? Unless, You want to emu with java as private server, but it would take tons of time and You probably won't even bring players from off server, so...Meh.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Quite a few reasons, actually:

1. I want to learn these skills regardless and Path is a complex game that will teach a lot.
2. I don't personally like the direction the game has gone and want to have the ability to craft my own version.
3. I have some very old clients and would love to bring a "Classic Path of Exile" to life. I am certain a lot of people would enjoy that.
4. Preservation of my favorite online game. I have personally collected servers and clients for like 40 of my favorite games and I want to be able to "preserve" Path of Exile as well.

In any event, if you decide you wanna join up just let me know :)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, even if You would write a proper sniffer some how, it would take You ages to complete the emu. If You are just seeking just for learning process, then no reason for someone else to join the "team"...Unless, You all are going to learn from it - and thats all...

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, my intention is to fully reverse the game. And a proper sniffer already exists, I just have to update a few offsets to account for new packet IDs and types introduced in the most recent expansion. Decided to wait since I think 3.6 drops tomorrow and will likely require more edits for that as well. Full GUI, lots of packet IDs are already parsed, encryption has been figured out, so a lot of the legwork is already done. I built a spoof login server but I'm still working on that piece as my Python knowledge is not super deep yet.

My main issue is a lack of knowledge surrounding assembly. I have used IDA to dig into the binary but I'm only just starting to be able to make sense of it.

Back