Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Discussion] Dragon Nest Ability Effect Files

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hello everyone,I'm a relatively new modder to DN and I have a question. Now, modding is easy enough most of the time, but this thing bothers me so much. Basically, it's the ability effects for certain characters. Their abilities in .dds form are gray masks which then get applied with color in (what I believe is located in) .eff file of that ability.

Now, the problem lies in the fact that I cannot find the piece of hex files that controls that for the love of my life. I've tried everything, I've written codes to extract all text from .act, .eff, .skn files, I've tried looking at in-game color and matching its hex to the hex in files (Avenger Piercing Crescent's base color is FF0808 afaik, but there is no reference in his files to that hex, could be lighting but I've tried multiple screenshots).

I tried manually reading the files to see if there's a reference. I even tried creating triplets of each hex pair to create a color code and then matched all abilities that have the same naming (for example _r, or _yy) and still nothing (there were either too many results or matching results across data that shouldn't be matched). It's simply exhausting that I can't figure it out.

So yeah, I was wondering if anyone has a Ducking clue what to do before I bash my head against a wall, I would be grateful! :rolleyes:I did also google if anyone has ever tried to do the same thing, and I found 1 (one) person trying to do the same thing with the Avenger, and basically concluding that the color is locked in .eff and canceling the project because he couldn't find any further clues. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
that is not how it works bro, the dragon nest skill effect trigger is based on mask then applied color by dds file, you cannot change the color only based on hex code, because the color of effect skill is based on dds file that applied in 3d design. in other words the effect of skill like that avenger skill is considered as "object", thats why the skill itself will dissappear as the duration set at the object value. i've been doing re-coloring effect of few skill of archer and also karahan skill effect, example for dark avenger skill effect, you can try to change the swordtrail dds files.goodluck

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Are you sure? I'm aware that there are abilities that have .dds images that are applied onto the model as-is. But let me ask you for a direct example, maybe that way I'll be clearer. Let's say Avenger's piercing crescent. His piercing crescent is linked to multiple .dds files, but the one I want to focus on is "EYE_LWY_T_sun_49_single-Power-white.dds". That is the .dds file that is applied onto the model. Now, my problem is that the ability is on grayscale, and no matter what way you color it, its always the same color in game. The only way you can see a difference is by changing the way the ability looks (model wise), but that doesn't have to do anything with color. So yeah, I'm curious on how you would recolor that ability, if you know I'd be grateful!

Also thanks for the reply, it helps!

that is not how it works bro, the dragon nest skill effect trigger is based on mask then applied color by dds file, you cannot change the color only based on hex code, because the color of effect skill is based on dds file that applied in 3d design. in other words the effect of skill like that avenger skill is considered as "object", thats why the skill itself will dissappear as the duration set at the object value. i've been doing re-coloring effect of few skill of archer and also karahan skill effect, example for dark avenger skill effect, you can try to change the swordtrail dds files.goodluck

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Are you sure? I'm aware that there are abilities that have .dds images that are applied onto the model as-is. But let me ask you for a direct example, maybe that way I'll be clearer. Let's say Avenger's piercing crescent. His piercing crescent is linked to multiple .dds files, but the one I want to focus on is "EYE_LWY_T_sun_49_single-Power-white.dds". That is the .dds file that is applied onto the model. Now, my problem is that the ability is on grayscale, and no matter what way you color it, its always the same color in game. The only way you can see a difference is by changing the way the ability looks (model wise), but that doesn't have to do anything with color. So yeah, I'm curious on how you would recolor that ability, if you know I'd be grateful!Also thanks for the reply, it helps!
no, actually "EYE_LWY_T_sun_49_single-Power-white.dds" dds file is applied after the "object" hits the target/enemy in other words, that dds files is visual effect for hitting something. if you try to de-activate that visual effect like re-name it or change the value to null, only hit fx would dissappear, not the skill fx itself.

im sure because i did it before, for archer, i changed arrow trail file to edited file like re-color or else, it works.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
We are definitely not talking about the same image because the one I'm talking about has the cressent shape and determines its visual effect. But to be sure, I did disable it and its shape was ruined. However, even if it was for hit only, I'm asking on how to recolor it. It's a grayscale and I cannot link it to any effect texture in the game. How would you go about this?

no, actually "EYE_LWY_T_sun_49_single-Power-white.dds" dds file is applied after the "object" hits the target/enemy in other words, that dds files is visual effect for hitting something. if you try to de-activate that visual effect like re-name it or change the value to null, only hit fx would dissappear, not the skill fx itself.

im sure because i did it before, for archer, i changed arrow trail file to edited file like re-color or else, it works.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
like i said before. if you want to re-color the skill fx you should re-coloring dds file using design application. i did explain it to you before, try to modify "sword trail.dds" files

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Okay we are definitely not on the same page.
Lets go with visuals. And just to be safe, this is with all your "sword trail recolored" turned on.

This is avenger's piercing cressent in game.
gilfnGq - [Discussion] Dragon Nest Ability Effect Files - RaGEZONE Forums

As you can see, it has its iconic red black color scheme
Then, there's the .dds file responsible for the image, which is the file we were talking about earlier, the "EYE_LWY_T_sun_49_single-Power-white.dds"
jwHMycm - [Discussion] Dragon Nest Ability Effect Files - RaGEZONE Forums

This is the texture the game takes, adjusts to the model and then applies the color onto. Its a grayscale, and the model looks like this.
Cs7CgKW - [Discussion] Dragon Nest Ability Effect Files - RaGEZONE Forums

Now, the problem is to recolor the grayscale ability. I'm aware of "sword trail" and everything, but that is not the problem I have. My problem is having grayscale abilities that are seemingly disconected from any textures that could be applied onto them.

like i said before. if you want to re-color the skill fx you should re-coloring dds file using design application. i did explain it to you before, try to modify "sword trail.dds" files

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
most likely you need to go into .act for dark avenger

at least that's how I repainted the VDJ at Vandar

most likely you need to go into .act for dark avenger

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
can you link these tools for me? the ones i found in other threads aren't working for some reason
they will not share to you, because people actually selling those STEALED TOOLS without any shame with enourmous amount. that is why this private server is dead except chinese community

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The current leaked tool actually worked but you have to know the file structure of each tools. Example for this effect tool, you need to know where the tool look for the resources and shaders. Like the one I posted in Development, I worked my butt off to make the tool work on latest file structure so yes, I can help and give pointers but not sharing the files I worked hard for the people that wants everything done for them.

Every other dev can make the current tool work but you just need to know how it work, that’s it.

Back