Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Help with changing background on Gunrox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hi everyone , Well im new to doing Skin's or whatever but im playing this online game called gunrox and im tired of seeing the same background on the map. i've seen people change there background

I tried doing it many ways but nothing...

The noob way : just chaning the name of the dds files of the 2 maps i want to change.
- Once i renamed i open game launcher and it says it has to update and it updates the 2 dds files i renamed.

I tried editing the dds files using Paint.net and saving it but same thing..
- Once i open game launcher it updates

Then i tried again with paint and saved it and checked the updatelog. from the game and it says

Checking for updates. Loading version data from server...
- loading C:\Program Files\GUNROX\syn.dat.tmp - OK
* files to remove: 0
* files to download: 1
data\texture\game\ground\ground-sand.dds
Downloading file: ground-sand.dds ...
- loading C:\Program Files\GUNROX\data\texture\game\ground\ground-sand.dds.z - OK
- Unpacked: c:\program files\gunrox\data\texture\game\ground\ground-sand.dds-

maybe some 1 can help ?

thanks !

p.s : Sorry if this was the wrong place

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Re: Help..

It's not that this thread is in the wrong section, but more so maybe not the most appropriate section of choice. It may have been better if you had of posted it in a "game specific" section, rather than Coders' Paradise.

In respect to your post, it appears you have broken two rules:

1. You failed to name your thread with a more-clean or appropriate title.
2. You dumped your problem here.

Although it's a very generic response, Google will be your most reliable source of information, given that your only choice was to post in Coders' Paradise. Unless there is a relative section for said game, it would be logical to post it there.

I'm only saying this because, your thread hasn't received any replies. I don't want to be negative, and do not wish for you to conceive any rude impressions. However, it is some advice for next time.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

Nick, MMORPG Extra would have been the better location.

on terms of helping.

Just as a guess id expect that the game does a form of checksum hashing against all files and a listing. So your first step would be to locate the hash list and see if you can change it to the hashs for your new files.

Id highly recommend making a new thread in the correct section.
- : link to the game
- : provide full updatelog might be more useful information in it your not noticing.

best of luck.

Upvote 0
• ♠️​ ♦️ ♣️ ​♥️ •
Reaction score

The point is easy, Nick.
The Updater will check the check-sum or change-date of the files. You want to implement client modifications on any MMO game? Then try to start it without launcher after editing files. Most games do not allow this, so ask Google, there are work-arounds for specific games.

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Wow First of all thanks to u guys for answering and helping, im sorry again for posting in the wrong place i didnt really know where to post it.

Next time ill try to make better my thread a little better like "ACADEMiC " said.

So again thanks guys i really apreciate it

Well here is the link " "

and the full updatelog info

Detecting language from game config file: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Enkord\Gunrox\config.xml
Loading language resources from file: C:\Program Files\GUNROX\data\language\english-1252.xml
Language used: English
- loading C:\Program Files\GUNROX\ip.$$$ - OK
UpdateServer:
Checking for updates. Loading version data from server...
- loading C:\Program Files\GUNROX\syn.dat.tmp - OK
* files to remove: 0
* files to download: 1
data\texture\game\ground\ground-sand.dds
Downloading file: ground-sand.dds ...
- loading C:\Program Files\GUNROX\data\texture\game\ground\ground-sand.dds.z - OK
- Unpacked: c:\program files\gunrox\data\texture\game\ground\ground-sand.dds-

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
well . is a interesting file, either its a collection of words/dwords (checksums) or compressed/encrypted. either way id throw the language into IDA Pro and see what the lanucher does with this file.

But as was said maybe try to launch the game without the launcher/updater might allow you to just run the game.

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
There isnt really no way ( I think i can open the game without the launcher/updater)

Theres the normal Luancher/updater and then in the Gunrox folder theres the "Core.exe" But if i open that 1 it open another luancher/updater so..

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Nick, try this..

load the luancher/updater and patch/update the game then.
download PV.exe, rename Core.exe to Core_.exe, rename PV.exe to Core.exe
and press player..

If all work it should load the PV.exe and show all the paramters passed to it, copy these paramters and pass them to Core_.exe, your game should load.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back