[Decryption]Need suggestions for decrypting LUA files

MemberRank
    Jan 2009 Join Date
    Deep in HellLocation
    101Posts

Hello!

I've been playing this new android game lately, and have tried accessing it's data files for data mining purposes. But all of it's main data files (all LUA's) seem to be encrypted.

Whenever the game boots up, it shows the message "Loading resource configuration files..", so it seems obvious that they are all being decrypted and loaded into memory, or at least I suppose probably so.

I'm in dire need of the info in these files though, so any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can and will provide further information upon request, as well.

Thanks,

Roachy

ModeratorRank
    Jul 2013 Join Date
    BelguimLocation
    1,244Posts

Re: [Decryption]Need suggestions for decrypting LUA files

You could add some info about the android application that your trying to get data from or maybe show an example of the lua file than maybe people could help you out.

DeveloperAlpha MaleRank
    May 2007 Join Date
    InternetLocation
    2,464Posts

You can compile lua files so people can't read the source directly when they open the files.
    They could have done that to prevent people from cracking/cheating. Here is a stackoverflow article.

Developer
    I CAN NOT HELP YOU WITH YOUR SERVER, USE THE CORRECT HELP SECTION INSTEAD.
    I AM ONLY TAIGA ON RAGEZONE!

I WILL NEVER CONTACT YOU OUTSIDE OF RAGEZONE OR OFFER YOU SERVER FILES.

DO NOT PM ME FOR GAME RELATED QUESTIONS, THESE MESSAGES WILL BE IGNORED!

MemberRank
    Jan 2009 Join Date
    Deep in HellLocation
    101Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whoami1995 View Post
    You could add some info about the android application that your trying to get data from or maybe show an example of the lua file than maybe people could help you out.
    The game in question: Sword of Chaos 6.0.2 APK

As for further information, there is only one LUA file that isn't encrypted, which is in the LUA root directory. So I do wonder if it has something to do with the decryption process. It's attached below, and is called: launcher.lua

launcher.zip

Also, I found where the files seem to be unpacked and read from as well. The only difference between them and the unpacked files from the APK itself, is that they have their MD5 hash included in the file name. I've included one of the encrypted files below. Also, all encrypted files contain a "KLER" header.

rune.zip

And just to be as specific as possible, normally it would be called "rune.lua", but with the MD5 hash included, would be "rune#5624c3688becc2254472e70b554273a2.lua".

Quote Originally Posted by CodeDragon View Post
    You can compile lua files so people can't read the source directly when they open the files.
    They could have done that to prevent people from cracking/cheating. Here is a stackoverflow article.
    Thank you.

Although hmm, I didn't really take away much from that article, as it seemed to focus more on compiling all the LUA files into a single one, vs. encrypting them. Even though I'm sure doing such would have the same effect. Although if you feel I missed the point of the article, then please do elaborate some. I admit that even I miss things sometimes, and am the type to freely admit it when I do.

But either way, I'm sure you are correct as to why they are encrypted. This was actually the first game I'd ran into where the data files actually WERE. I was almost as glad about this, as I was frustrated by it, haha!
    Last edited by Roachy; 08-01-16 at 06:17 PM.

Advertisement