Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Tutorial] [.NET] Trial Limit Injection

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Hello.

Just screwing around with Mono.Cecil. And I decided to make a 30 day limit check when you run a file through Mono.Cecil, don't judge my code please.

I coded this myself, by creating the function in C# and using a decompiler to locate the correct OpCodes.

You don't have to change to keep it days, you can change the method "FromDays" as you desire.

It calls on the Main(); function the DateVerify, and it will output an injected method such as;

Code:
public static void DateVerify()
{
	DateTime now = DateTime.Now;
	DateTime value = DateTime.Parse("7/03/2013 11:36:00 PM");
	if (now.Subtract(value) >= TimeSpan.FromDays(30.0))
	{
		throw new Exception("The time period has surpassed 30 days!");
	}
}

Code:
private double Time = 30;

public void RunTask()
  {

for (var modules = 0; modules < Program.Assembly.Modules.Count; modules++)
    {
    var module = Program.Assembly.Modules[modules];

for (int types = 0; types < module.Types.Count; types++)
    {
    var type = module.Types[types];

for (int methods = 0; methods < type.Methods.Count; methods++)
    {
    var method = type.Methods[methods];

if (method.Name == "Main")
    {
    var methodDateCheck = new MethodDefinition("DateVerify", MethodAttributes.Public | MethodAttributes.Static | MethodAttributes.HideBySig, Program.Assembly.MainModule.Import(typeof(void)));

InsertTimeCheck(type, methodDateCheck);

type.Methods.Add(methodDateCheck);

var worker = method.Body.GetILProcessor();

var call = worker.Create(OpCodes.Call, methodDateCheck);
    worker.InsertAfter(method.Body.Instructions[0], call);
    worker.InsertAfter(call, worker.Create(OpCodes.Nop));
    }
    }
    }
    }
  }

public void InsertTimeCheck(TypeDefinition type, MethodDefinition method)
  {
    var dateNow = DateTime.Now;
    var assembly = Program.Assembly;

TypeReference declaringType = type;
    ModuleDefinition module = declaringType.Module;
    TypeReference variableType = module.Import(type);

VariableDefinition result = new VariableDefinition("start", module.Import(typeof(DateTime)));
    method.Body.Variables.Add(result);

result = new VariableDefinition("oldDate", module.Import(typeof(DateTime)));

result = new VariableDefinition(module.Import(typeof(bool)));

var worker = method.Body.GetILProcessor();

worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Nop));
    worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Call, assembly.Import(typeof(DateTime).GetMethod("get_Now", Type.EmptyTypes))));
    worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Stloc_0));
    worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Ldstr, dateNow.ToString()));
    worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Call, assembly.Import(typeof(DateTime).GetMethod("Parse", new[] { typeof(string) }))));
    worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Stloc_1));
    worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Ldloca_S, (byte)0));
    worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Ldloc_1));
    worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Call, assembly.Import(typeof(DateTime).GetMethod("Subtract", new[] { typeof(DateTime) }))));
    worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Ldc_R8, Time));
    worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Call, assembly.Import(typeof(TimeSpan).GetMethod("FromDays", new[] { typeof(long) }))));
    worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Call, assembly.Import(typeof(TimeSpan).GetMethod("op_GreaterThanOrEqual", new[] { typeof(TimeSpan), typeof(TimeSpan) }))));
    worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Ldc_I4_0));
    worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Ceq));
    worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Stloc_2));
    worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Ldloc_2));

var last = worker.Create(OpCodes.Ret);

worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Brtrue_S, last));
    worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Nop));
    worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Ldstr, "The time period has surpassed 30 days!"));
    worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Newobj, assembly.Import(typeof(Exception).GetConstructor(new[] { typeof(string) }))));
    worker.Append(worker.Create(OpCodes.Throw));
    worker.Append(last);
  }

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
This is incredibly easy to inline out, just so you know. Emitting IL offers no advantage over doing it normally, but it is a lot more tedious.

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
This is incredibly easy to inline out, just so you know. Emitting IL offers no advantage over doing it normally, but it is a lot more tedious.

Yeah I know, but if you were to create your own .NET protection program and you'd have a 'free' version, this would be ideal to put this in. :)

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Yeah I know, but if you were to create your own .NET protection program and you'd have a 'free' version, this would be ideal to put this in. :)

If you were to create your own packer in .NET, you're doing it wrong period. I mean, I guess it's not protecting state secrets or anything but it takes under a minute to just NOP the function out.

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If you were to create your own packer in .NET, you're doing it wrong period. I mean, I guess it's not protecting state secrets or anything but it takes under a minute to just NOP the function out.

Who cares? It's a tutorial how to inject a method with Mono.Cecil - and that was merely an example.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Who cares? It's a tutorial how to inject a method with Mono.Cecil - and that was merely an example.

Well now, that's different. I thought this was about using it as an anti-debug technique. Now you should write a helper class that takes a .NET framework MethodInfo's IL stream and writes it to a Mono.Cecil ILProcessor.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Hopefully now on emulators dont come on licensed methods.. LOL!

Back