Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Correct steps for SQL setup?

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Can't remember anymore how this is done correctly. I installed SQL Express 2017 with standard configs but the server agent simply won't start. Dunno if that's normal.

Could someone provide detailed steps from the correct SQL version, instance config to connecting via SSMS or perhaps Navicat? The old 6.0.7 guide simply says "login to the sql server". And there is zero info about that important part of the server setup to be found.

Edit: After the 4th attempt with no result, it now says that a registry key cannot be found, meaning the install fails completely.

Edit2: Spent all day on this stuff now, it's either wait on the recovery handle failing or the MOF compiler failing now. None of this happened two years ago or something when I last worked with SQL. About to gve up on this crap

Last edited:
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
What doesnt start ? SQL entirely or Rom server ? If SQL entirely is showing such failures, i would completely deinstall it. Are you doing it on a virtual machine ? I'm not sure if there is a removal tool for SQL.

Upvote 0
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
SQL itself won't even install. During the process, it's either the recovery or the startup handle that cannot be found. I found a post from another forum saying it's because of the default settings being used. It said that the account had to be changed from NT server to an actual user account, which I haven't tried yet.

Or do you have a better solution to get the runes databases up and going? In Aion, it's a fuckton simpler be cause that one works with MySQL. There, you just need Uniform Server which can be used as a completely portable solution too. No complex SQL server stuff needed.

I would much rather have the server as a portable repack like my Aion servers too. Where you just need to extract it, copy the neccessary client files (i.e. RuneDev.ini) for connection and be done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
If SQL doesn't install properly i would not waste further time in it. If possible i would install the sys completely new ( i know thats maybe not possible).

I was using my romserver on my windows 10 PC, which i'm also using for playing other MMos and stuff. But exactly because of the reason if i getting probs with my pc, i also would have to install the romserver again.

For my romserver i'm using SQL 2012 and its working good. I'm also using VM Ware Player with Windows 2012 R2 Server on it. So at the end i have a copy/paste possibility if i have problems with my Windows 10.

I think help on this specific SQL problem is not possible, sorry.

Upvote 0
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
if that VM solution of yours is a portable one, would you mind sharing it? That would be much easier and spare a ton of trouble I think

Edit: Well, I'll be damned. Changing the user of the server to NT/AUTHORITY/SYSTEM during the SQL Express setup worked. The instance was installed with no issues. Can proceed finally.

So I got SSMS running now but the connection was a bit awkward. I do have an instance called MSSQLSERVER running but with SSMS, I could only select my PC directly. Not the instance. So instead of USER-PC\MSSQLSERVER it's USER-PC instead. I still see the standard stuff like logins, system databases and such.
The databases are all installed too. Account and Serverlist start up in RA Monitor. However, the Account subgroup spits out a series of "«ü¥O¦³°ÝÃD!! census not find" messages in the log. Don't know if it's normal or what it's about. Serverlist subgroup seems fine.

The service group starts up as well. But PlayerCenter and DataCenter are stuck on Starting. The log shows nothing for either of them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
if that VM solution of yours is a portable one, would you mind sharing it? That would be much easier and spare a ton of trouble I think

Thats unfortunately not an option. At first its an amount of Gb, and i also have some own installs on there like hamachi, the whole sql is with my PC name, SQL passwords (which are similar to passwords i use elswhere ;P) etc.

I guess the share from suppo is the best atm to get. Just install VM-Ware Player and make a clean install. When RoM works also backup it with copy/paste. Unless there will be a new 7.x release (Which i guess will happen earliest if Gameforge shuts down the official servers) i guess i never have to install the whole Runes of Magic thing again.

Upvote 0
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Thats unfortunately not an option. At first its an amount of Gb, and i also have some own installs on there like hamachi, the whole sql is with my PC name, SQL passwords (which are similar to passwords i use elswhere ;P) etc.

I guess the share from suppo is the best atm to get. Just install VM-Ware Player and make a clean install. When RoM works also backup it with copy/paste. Unless there will be a new 7.x release (Which i guess will happen earliest if Gameforge shuts down the official servers) i guess i never have to install the whole Runes of Magic thing again.

That's worth keeping in mind at least. Do you have ideas for Playercenter and Datacenter too? And the weird text I posted about above

Upvote 0
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
The "«ü¥O¦³°ÝÃD!! census not find" i think is normal for the releases. If i remember right someone said this something server related gameforge is using which private servers dont have.

I can check it on my server, but i think i also have this report.

Upvote 0
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Scrapped the previous post. Thanks to Mageoskis PM response linking to Drews post regarding the server setup, I managed to make it work.

Unfortunaly, the server definitely requires being installed on C. But that also means faster startup times if C is an SSD.

I'll be writing up a guide in Word which I will upload here around tomorrow when it's done. I'll borrow some of Beatraxz' work from his updated 6.0.7 guide for this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Scrapped the previous post. Thanks to Mageoskis PM response linking to Drews post regarding the server setup, I managed to make it work.
Unfortunaly, the server definitely requires being installed on C. But that also means faster startup times if C is an SSD.
I'll be writing up a guide in Word which I will upload here around tomorrow when it's done. I'll borrow some of Beatraxz' work from his updated 6.0.7 guide for this.

If you want to change the server file location, find below files and change C:\Runewaker\ to what you want.

Realm_01_Common\Global.ini
Realm_01_Service\Global.ini
Realm_01_Zone\Global.ini
RA Server Controller\RAServerController.ini

If you want to change the SQL DATA file location, find below files and change C:\Runewaker\ to what you want. (**This Step MUST BEFORE you import and create SQL DATA)

DB_sql\ROM_Account_schema.sql
DB_sql\ROM_GlobalDB_schema.sql
DB_sql\ROM_ImportDB_schema.sql
DB_sql\ROM_World_schema.sql
DB_sql\ROM_WorldLog_schema.sql
DB_sql\three_tables_import_data.sql

Upvote 0
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
If you want to change the server file location, find below files and change C:\Runewaker\ to what you want.

Realm_01_Common\Global.ini
Realm_01_Service\Global.ini
Realm_01_Zone\Global.ini
RA Server Controller\RAServerController.ini

If you want to change the SQL DATA file location, find below files and change C:\Runewaker\ to what you want. (**This Step MUST BEFORE you import and create SQL DATA)

DB_sql\ROM_Account_schema.sql
DB_sql\ROM_GlobalDB_schema.sql
DB_sql\ROM_ImportDB_schema.sql
DB_sql\ROM_World_schema.sql
DB_sql\ROM_WorldLog_schema.sql
DB_sql\three_tables_import_data.sql

Thanks, I'll include this in my guide.

Upvote 0
Back