Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Question] P-server for RoM

Mythic Archon
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Ok guys and girls.

Here is a specification of Dedicate Server what i have in home

CPU: 2 x Xeon Cuad Core 8 Tread per each CPU that give 16 Thread CPU Clock 2.53Ghz
RAM: DDR3 76GB ECC Registred
1x SSD for OS + MSSQL
2x HDD 500GB as place for server files and bucup
1x HDD 1TB as Full buckup for DB and server files.

Now is my Question i want setup Rom Server with All Zone that all will be open, and how much Ram all of this will use.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
For all Zones you need a minimum of 128GB (i would assume for just anything you need 256Gigs) since you also need some free gigs for players to login. Space isnt a big problem for a rom server, CPU and Rams are.

i have a 9700 CPU with 64 Gigs and i can open a lot of zones, but definitely by far not all. And the more i open the more cpu is needed. I'm running RoM a virtual Win 2016 Server and my CPU-Usage is mostly running at 80-90% (also ram usage is then by 100%)with 40% of zones open with instances of course.

I never had the opportunity to try it on a big gigz machine, but my guessing still is, for all the stuff 256GB is needed.

Upvote 0
Mythic Archon
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
i think the problem with ram i can resolve to increase pagefile like i did for other server on VPS server where owner buy VPS only with 4GB of ram and he get a problem with runing the server. I go to his VPS and i just increase pagefile at min to 8GB and max to 16Gb and the server are running without any issue, and this solution kan work here as well without any problem.

Like i write this is a Dedicate machine this server have 2 CPU that gives 8 real core each CPU is Quad Core + 12MB L3

But if you say 256GB is needed i can use one of HDD as virtual ram to open all instance and all Zone.

Upvote 0
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
i'd throw an english guide pdf or two on the disk too for times of boredom

If you want a pagefile, you might be better off with a sata SSD or an M.2 for the reading and writing speeds. HDDs are only really good for storing data, not for repeatedly accessing it. CPU specs also depend on how many players you hope or expect to have on your server. You are highly likely to not get more than maybe 20 or 40 if you do well but nowhere near enough to compete with the likes of Arcadia. One thing everyone here must accept is the fact that despite all current efforts, they still have the better client. So RoM fans seeking a populated and active server to play the game will naturally choose them over any of the ones based on the public release.

You are better off with a cheaper setup to sustain a smaller server for people who want to play for the sake of nostalgia and reliving the days of old. And then you might want to change your exp rates down to 0.5 to avoid people progressing too fast. Even at x1 you're out of Silverspring in no time.

Upvote 0
Mythic Archon
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Did i write any thing about open server to people i read what i write before and i dont see anything like that, that i will open server for some other ppl. And i dont care about that some one have new client and they update server and client as well. Yes i play on some p-server i can count players on one hand man ppl go to p-server for fun because is eazy lveling eazy get gear and lots of other things.

I want setup server fot test how this will look work i want see how much i can push from my server. thats all end of story.

Upvote 0
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Someone's trigger happy there. If it's a test/local setup only, you won't need such crazy specs unless you do plan on running the zones you don't play in anyway.

I'm playing on a 10 year old rig just fine and can afford to have 2-3 zones open at a time.

The specs which you listed are clearly intended for a public server and way overpowered for a local one with a single player. Thus the conclusion. Or do you also prefer driving a Lamborghini to buy a box of beer from the liquor store 100m away from home?

Upvote 0
Mythic Archon
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
at the moment in file that is responsible for loading zones i have 42 zones are load on 16GB on my personal PC with Windows 10 x64, but i see really good things on this OS when he see the ram is full load he just start mowing all to pagefile and usage of ram from 98% drop down to 60~70% that mean is not that bad.

Speed i dont have any plan to open server. i just doing this for my self (server was buy a long time ago when i have more time to make any server on line but now i have no time for that) now i just want set something for my self, play and fix all what i can.

btw SpeeD i have a problem with client in settings in audio all is on and wolume are set to 100 but in game i dont have any background sound like music, walk sound, even when you start gathering some staff like wood or some other material nothing is totaly silent client is from this portable server 4.0.2 if i correct i check all what i can and i have no idea where is problem.

Upvote 0
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I have not used the portable 4.0.2 release at all but if the client isn't muted in your audio settings and has all files present, I don't know why it's not playing any sounds. My only guess would be faulty FDBs which lack the correct sounds.

And if it's only a local server for yourself, why do you run 42 zones? You can only be present in one at a time and the highest amount you teleport through while playing normally is around 3 zones. And only if you access the cities frequently or if your quests send you there. I've reached Dust Devil Canyon so far and never needed to have more than 3 zones online at once. That includes instances as well.

Upvote 0
Mythic Archon
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
That is really strange even for me with sound, the game have some sounds but not all. i have sound for skill for some other things but when toy go to pick some staff like material for craft no sound when you move same no sound. no background music and some oter sound, i even copy fdb files with sound and music from other client and still is nothing.

About 42 Zone i just make a test how mych ja can pick on my PC not on server. it just for test nothing more i need install all nesesery things like monitor and all other important tools.

BTW thx for advice i will check fdb maybe the problem is somewhere in some settings.

Upvote 0
Back