Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Delphi MapleStory Client

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Worthlessness is relative anyway. I would rather see some really nice non-networked client emulating most of the client's functionality taking proper use of both CPU and GPU. Nexon's MapleStory client is EXTREMELY CPU bound leaving the GPU waiting doing nothing, completely wasting its full potential while the CPU is struggling to catch up. If you look at MapleStory with Microsoft's DirectX graphics debugger PIX you'll see that their batching is extremely bad. Most objects and tiles could be put into a texture atlas and all animations should DEFINITELY be sprite sheets. Wizet obviously didn't understand the implications of graphics state switching otherwise they would have never built their animations as separate sprites for each frame and would have improved their batching.

If they had 1 animation which has 100 frames (a little extreme but still a valid example) and then they try to draw it 1000 times where each animated sprite is animating 1 frame ahead of the previous, then EVERY draw call will be treated as a separate batch (effectively immediate batching rather than deferred). That would be 1000 texture state swaps per frame, for the same animation! That's insane! It should be 1 texture swap for the 1 sprite sheet and all of the 1000 animation draw calls should be batched together into a single GPU draw call without any additional state swaps. MapleStory has tons of texture repetition in each map, they barely take advantage of it and the client clearly suffers (their graphics library does handle basic batching of the same texture drawn one exactly after the other but there's a lot unbatched when it should be batched).

From a graphics programmers point of view this type of project definitely isn't worthless.

Reaction score
Worthlessness is relative anyway. I would rather see some really nice non-networked client emulating most of the client's functionality taking proper use of both CPU and GPU. Nexon's MapleStory client is EXTREMELY CPU bound leaving the GPU waiting doing nothing, completely wasting its full potential while the CPU is struggling to catch up. If you look at MapleStory with Microsoft's DirectX graphics debugger PIX you'll see that their batching is extremely bad. Most objects and tiles could be put into a texture atlas and all animations should DEFINITELY be sprite sheets. Wizet obviously didn't understand the implications of graphics state switching otherwise they would have never built their animations as separate sprites for each frame and would have improved their batching.

If they had 1 animation which has 100 frames (a little extreme but still a valid example) and then they try to draw it 1000 times where each animated sprite is animating 1 frame ahead of the previous, then EVERY draw call will be treated as a separate batch (effectively immediate batching rather than deferred). That would be 1000 texture state swaps per frame, for the same animation! That's insane! It should be 1 texture swap for the 1 sprite sheet and all of the 1000 animation draw calls should be batched together into a single GPU draw call without any additional state swaps. MapleStory has tons of texture repetition in each map, they barely take advantage of it and the client clearly suffers (their graphics library does handle basic batching of the same texture drawn one exactly after the other but there's a lot unbatched when it should be batched).

From a graphics programmers point of view this type of project definitely isn't worthless.
The problem is that all the images in the data are stored individually. If anyone was to fix this batching problem they'd have to completely redo all the data, merging textures and such, which is a lot of work. I'd sooner create my own completely original mmorpg than try to properly batch all those textures. Yes Wizet made a terrible decision, but fixing it is way too much work, plus this project doesn't even do anything about it either, so your argument is invalid.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Still yet, no one will use this project to further the development of private servers. My point remains.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Glad to see someone continuing work with Delphi. Despite the current sources out there, I've found myself using Delphi the most. It may be lacking alot of features but it's very stable. Good luck coding the client. I would use it even if it was just for individual use. That's all I would ever use any private server for any way. Personal use.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Updated:
Now you can use some cool skills.

Skill Shortcut:
A: Holly Arrow
S: Intrepid Slash
D: Rolling Spin
F: Genesis
G: Meteor Shower

Z: Final Blow
X: Flame Gear
C: Inferno
V: Blizzard
B: Dragon Strike

✞ Godlike ✞
Reaction score
rice and retep are just being idiots.

@rice & retep, if you don't like what this guys is doing, why did you even comment to begin with? Seriously get the hell out if you can't actually see that this guy will most likely learn something from this, and that will also lead to him maybe releasing good and very useable stuff in the future. Leave him alone, he does wat he wants, BECAUSE HE CAN AND IT'S FREE -insert insulting word here- :)

OT; Love the new updates! Keep it coming, I'd be able to play around on my own with this client, for several hours :D

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
wow this is awesome tbh :) but one big question is will you be able to make this online so we are able to use private server source and this client together then no one needs to get their hands dirty with reversing and doing poop to nexon client.. ??

Reaction score
The thing is, I am glad that you are working on this, and I do hope you get far with it. I'm just telling you that unless you implement it with networking from the start, its going to be extremely painful having to redo or toss out a ton of code when you later do add networking.
I may be cynical, but that doesn't mean I don't want this to succeed. The reason I point out the difficulties of adding networking later is because I don't want you making that mistake and potentially giving up.

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
rice and retep are just being idiots.

@rice & retep, if you don't like what this guys is doing, why did you even comment to begin with? Seriously get the hell out if you can't actually see that this guy will most likely learn something from this, and that will also lead to him maybe releasing good and very useable stuff in the future. Leave him alone, he does wat he wants, BECAUSE HE CAN AND IT'S FREE -insert insulting word here- :)

OT; Love the new updates! Keep it coming, I'd be able to play around on my own with this client, for several hours :D

shut up you Ducking stupid wigger, i never said i don't like this project, i said it's going to be useless if he doesn't make it an actual client that depends on a server as opposed to a standalone client. you have no idea how large scale projects work, do you.

✞ Godlike ✞
Reaction score
shut up you Ducking stupid wigger, i never said i don't like this project, i said it's going to be useless if he doesn't make it an actual client that depends on a server as opposed to a standalone client. you have no idea how large scale projects work, do you.

Oh look, mr rice can curse me out. Woohoo! 1 point for you :) And I'm European (aka, WHITE).

And saying that it's "useless" is extremely rude of you. Aren't you suppose to have been here since 2009? Thought you'd mature a little since then :D

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I found stupid bug
Elem8100 - Delphi MapleStory Client - RaGEZONE Forums

Back