Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Development] MapleFlow, the NPC Dialogue Editor

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Hopefully no one takes this the wrong way but I honestly think making money off of private server development is kinda bad. Not for your wallet per se, however more of the fact that this was a free project (odin) made public and that our only real goal in all of this is to enhance maplestory as a whole (different opinions here, and I probably won't care to read your replies as to why i'm wrong). I mean charge all you want, hell go for it, if I could make a living off of maplestory development i'd sure as hell take it. Though using a reason such as *because of my time* is kinda meh. I know tons of people who sell sources and such for hundreds (one case thousands) but this is all petty amounts compared to what we all gain as a whole in the community with public releases for everyone to use (again not interested in why you think im wrong). So best of luck selling it, I still love you <3

Of course people should do whatever they want with their software, and selling it is completely fine if that's what they're after.
But speaking in general I totally agree with you, if you release something for free everyone can use and improve it, and then in the long term the maplestory development is improved as a whole. I think that with what I've seen in the 5 months or so that I've been here, it feels as if most people just develop their stuff for themselves. So I think that this community could benefit greatly from sharing more stuff.

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem is why a lot refuse to share things for free is because other will use the shared software and actually make profit out of it. After speaking to quiet a bit of developers this is usually also the reason why developers refuses to release their source or share their source Open Source. People make a server with the sources and make money out of it, while they cannot code at all. Basically making money out of someone else's work.

For some this may be normal, but a lot of people, especially those that took a lot, and a lot of time on their work don't like people making money from other's work.

The owner of this software can do whatever he want with it. If he want the product to cost x, than it will be x. If you think its too much, don't buy it.

Nae-un <33
Reaction score
Of course people should do whatever they want with their software, and selling it is completely fine if that's what they're after.
But speaking in general I totally agree with you, if you release something for free everyone can use and improve it, and then in the long term the maplestory development is improved as a whole. I think that with what I've seen in the 5 months or so that I've been here, it feels as if most people just develop their stuff for themselves. So I think that this community could benefit greatly from sharing more stuff.

It's just in this particular case if oxy made it free it would make the community worse, wouldn't it? Either get this, or learn how to JS (which isn't hard at all).

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
It's just in this particular case if oxy made it free it would make the community worse, wouldn't it? Either get this, or learn how to JS (which isn't hard at all).

I agree that learning js isn't hard but I was not so much referring to this release but more trying to make a general point. I believe that releasing things openly not only benefits those who can use the tool, but also improves the whole community and encourages more people to release stuff as well.

Reaction score
I agree that learning js isn't hard but I was not so much referring to this release but more trying to make a general point. I believe that releasing things openly not only benefits those who can use the tool, but also improves the whole community and encourages more people to release stuff as well.

The tools to get where the upper echelon of this scene is currently located exist already. There really isn't a giant gap in skill that separates the newbies from the pros here because this gap is pretty much a straight up illusion.

There are also people who taught themselves from the ground up and have never taken a formal programming class in their life to learn what they know. I happen to be one of those kinds of people.

To bring it all together, if you want to get somewhere, do a lot of research, talk to people, code till you drop, and you may eventually graduate MapleStory development like a lot of our now productive alumni.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
The tools to get where the upper echelon of this scene is currently located exist already. There really isn't a giant gap in skill that separates the newbies from the pros here because this gap is pretty much a straight up illusion.

There are also people who taught themselves from the ground up and have never taken a formal programming class in their life to learn what they know. I happen to be one of those kinds of people.

To bring it all together, if you want to get somewhere, do a lot of research, talk to people, code till you drop, and you may eventually graduate MapleStory development like a lot of our now productive alumni.

I don't quite understand what point you are making related to my post. Did you misquote me? If not, the only thing I can really comment on is that I don't believe in the idea of "graduating maplestory development".
I've heard that quite a few times while I've been visiting this forum and I don't personally see the how maplestory dev has any limits as to what you could code. If you like maplestory as a game, coding maplestory-related things is fun and that's why you do it.

Reaction score
I don't quite understand what point you are making related to my post. Did you misquote me? If not, the only thing I can really comment on is that I don't believe in the idea of "graduating maplestory development".
I've heard that quite a few times while I've been visiting this forum and I don't personally see the how maplestory dev has any limits as to what you could code. If you like maplestory as a game, coding maplestory-related things is fun and that's why you do it.

It wasn't a misquote at all unless your intentions behind having other's work available to you is more nefarious than I thought?

What I read when I see "people should share their work" in any context is the bottom line of "I want to learn from other people and what they have done/accomplished." With regards to this, it is my natural response to say that anything that is publicly available right now is enough to learn from in how to get to where you want to be. There are very few innovative pieces of software out there that aren't actually publicly available already.

Now, if you have some ulterior motive for wanting people's code aside from learning, then that's another matter entirely and you would be correct in saying I misquoted you. I strongly doubt that this is case, but I don't know you nor your intentions.

Regarding you latter portion, after the time you had fun with emulating this game has passed, you lose interest and get bored/tired of it. This is what I mean by graduating.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
It wasn't a misquote at all unless your intentions behind having other's work available to you is more nefarious than I thought?

What I read when I see "people should share their work" in any context is the bottom line of "I want to learn from other people and what they have done/accomplished." With regards to this, it is my natural response to say that anything that is publicly available right now is enough to learn from in how to get to where you want to be. There are very few innovative pieces of software out there that aren't actually publicly available already.

I can agree with this, there is alot of stuff available already so I guess everyone is fine even with the current amount of material.

Now, if you have some ulterior motive for wanting people's code aside from learning, then that's another matter entirely and you would be correct in saying I misquoted you. I strongly doubt that this is case, but I don't know you nor your intentions.

Now this part I don't quite understand. I think I made it fairly clear that my post wasn't "wanting people's code", instead I was just stating my opinion that releasing things for free is in general a good thing. And I think that's what "ulterior motive" means.

Regarding you latter portion, after the time you had fun with emulating this game has passed, you lose interest and get bored/tired of it. This is what I mean by graduating.

That maybe true for some people, for some others not. I've been playing private servers for a long time and I still think the game is fun, even if most servers could be more interesting. My overall motivation for coding things is that I want to see more fun and creative servers made when server owners/coders will have more capabilities/tools of doing so.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
A few questions, if you don't mind;

Is there an ETA yet?
-If yes, do you mind telling us?
-if no, is there something going wrong with the dev? This hasn't been updated in a while D:

In the features you mentioned "High fidelity npc dialogue renderer; You see what you'll get in-game."
I was wondering if you can also see stuff that I myself added anywhere in the source. For example, in the editor, can I use this this:
Code:
cm.getPlayer().getStr();
And will I be able to see the result of the npc without going in game?

If the answer to question 2 is yes, will we be required to type that in ourselfes or will we have a large option of methods to choose from that are coded anywhere in the source?

Is there a final decision on the pricing?
I know you guys are gonna make it paid, but what I wanna know, has a final price been established?

Since this is in development, why is it in the releases section? I know its a tool but it hasn't been released yet, I'm wondering if it should ever be since it will be a paid program, I wouldn't call a paid program a release imo. No idea where else to put it after its out of dev tho.

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions in advance :D

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
A few questions, if you don't mind;

Is there an ETA yet?
-If yes, do you mind telling us?
-if no, is there something going wrong with the dev? This hasn't been updated in a while D:

In the features you mentioned "High fidelity npc dialogue renderer; You see what you'll get in-game."
I was wondering if you can also see stuff that I myself added anywhere in the source. For example, in the editor, can I use this this:
Code:
cm.getPlayer().getStr();
And will I be able to see the result of the npc without going in game?

If the answer to question 2 is yes, will we be required to type that in ourselfes or will we have a large option of methods to choose from that are coded anywhere in the source?

Is there a final decision on the pricing?
I know you guys are gonna make it paid, but what I wanna know, has a final price been established?

Since this is in development, why is it in the releases section? I know its a tool but it hasn't been released yet, I'm wondering if it should ever be since it will be a paid program, I wouldn't call a paid program a release imo. No idea where else to put it after its out of dev tho.

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions in advance :D

1. It is not in development anymore because of lack of interest. If this was 2008-2010 I would probably have a ton of customers but honestly, in 2015, maplestory private server development is DEAD. Those who released cool stuff back then are long gone and it's a bad investment of my free-time to work on a tool that will bring me no sales.

2. No, or at least, not without considerable efforts that may or not be worth it in the end. The simplest way of doing this might have been to run the server, log into a character, and somehow hook into the server and let MapleFlow use one of the available MapleCharacters objects but it's sketchy as hell and might not have worked very well. The first release of MapleFlow that was in development was only designed to display static information.

3. MapleFlow was being designed to allow the user to use standard npc methods (i.e cm.getPlayer().getStr()) but would require the user to configure the OdinMS javascript exporter and tell it what each methods are. These methods would be defined in some sort of configuration thing within the editor's menus such that you could add your own and tell MapleFlow what type of thing it should show (string, number, etc.) as well a static placeholder. (i.e "str_value") If no placeholder is assigned, it would display the name of the thing. (i.e "str")

4. It was never decided

5. It moved from section to section many time when the sections were being moved around/modified.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I love this. and cant wait for the release, completely fair to release under a small fee.

Back