Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

i'm a little bit confused

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
i already downloaded VMware and currently downloading Centos? what is the difference between this two? will my server work without one of these?

The Dinosaur
Loyal Member
Reaction score
No. All the other posts about this say the same, you have to have the database on a Windows machine and the cabal server running on linux.

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Vmware is a virtualization software, which allows u to run multiple virtual machines in one real machine :). and CentOs is a operating system based on unix/linux ;)

In short Vmware is needed to run your centos os without any other hardware, and of course u can run your server on 2 seperate machines, one witch centos an server files, other windows machine with msql :)

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
ok this is my question...we used two os..1 windows and anther 1 is linux runing in vmware...so thats mean we can run that all os in one server/pc??i'll has done try install evrythng like sql database 2005,windows ip setting and vmware ip setting but in vmware i used suse linux enterprise server so its os ok???i mean can run like centos 5.2??
in the end i cant used winscp to connct to vmware suse linux...thats error "host refused"...
can someone help how to solve it...

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
ok this is my question...we used two os..1 windows and anther 1 is linux runing in vmware...so thats mean we can run that all os in one server/pc??i'll has done try install evrythng like sql database 2005,windows ip setting and vmware ip setting but in vmware i used suse linux enterprise server so its os ok???i mean can run like centos 5.2??
in the end i cant used winscp to connct to vmware suse linux...thats error "host refused"...
can someone help how to solve it...

Suse linux is not based on redhat platform, so u will need to install yum or some package converter from redhat packages (if i remember correctly "alien"). But u could install centOs into your vmware and it would eliminate all package related problems.

You cant connect via ssh to your suse, because:
1. Your network is not configured properly
2. Your ssh server daemon isn`t running or not configured properly

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Mean i cant used sise linux???
so this cabal server can run only in one server/pc or we need two??

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Can`t u understand my bad english? or are u 7 years old, and down know anything?? vwvare is used in this manual FOR CREATING SERVER ON ONE MACHINE (1 pc / one computer). Suse linux is linux NOT BASED ON REDHAT CentOs IS BASED ON REDHAT. server file packages (*.rpm) is for REDHAT platform (centOs, Fedora, redhat enterprise) BUT NOT SUSE

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
are u sure suse not based on redhat...huhuhu
oo sorry..maybe i meet a expert of open source here huhuhu

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
are u sure suse not based on redhat...huhuhu
oo sorry..maybe i meet a expert of open source here huhuhu

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yes i am sure it is not, and no i am not an expert. If you doubt me so much so try, why even bother asking "what is vmware", "why is it needed", "why cent os" just try d00de. But don't come back telling "i cant install freeTDS package or something". agreed? :) do everything like on manual, except when you are 100% sure that some changes will not raise even more error or questions....

Upvote 0
The Dinosaur
Loyal Member
Reaction score
You can run it all on one PC. The idea is you have a windows pc with SQL installed and the database in it. On the same machine you install vmware and put the linux in it which gives you a linux server in a window on the windows pc. The linux machine in the window runs the cabal server and the windows machine holds the database.

You can run on 2 machines (one linux and one windows) but it isn't needed. My Cabal server runs a windows 2003 server with sql 2000, vmware is installed and has centos 4.6 on it.

Different versions of linux work in slightly different ways and not all support rpm packages directly. I'm not too familiar with suse but if it is debian based then it probably doesn't and you have to use the "alien" command to convert the .rpm file to a .deb file so you can install it.

Most of the guides refer to centos so to be honest i would go with that to keep things simpler unless you are a bit of a linux guru and know what differences there are between the different linux versions and how to get around them.

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
So i am saying the same :) thanks chumpywumpy for support :)

short. follow the guide

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
THANK YOU TO ALL FOR THE RESPONSE!!!
After watching Mahi's video, i already got the concept..but i think, this thing will be harder unlike setting up a Ran Server..hope you'll still help me guys..
thanks again. ^_^ \m/

Upvote 0
The Dinosaur
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Just follow the guide and it will work, but it does take a little time and experimentation. My server is working ok and i will be hovering around here trying to help others ;)

Upvote 0
Back