Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

The NORI Tool Released

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
@BattleCattle I didn't want to triple post, that would be lame.

just do a normal extraction of the NORI file. Then "java -jar TNT.jar A example.nri", you'll get a full config for that NORI file. Make your changes to the config file and images then use the config file and the extraction folder to remake the NORI file "java -jar TNT.jar c /path/to/example.nri.cfg /path/to/extraction_folder/" then hit enter. very simple. This is in the help prompt.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
i have a problem: compiled new version isnt working (former version is OK)

PyroSamurai - The NORI Tool Released - RaGEZONE Forums

Last edited by a moderator:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
nice, thanks :)

i will do some tests for things that almost nobody cares about:

like 0x02, 0x03 values for flip axis
mycamp items
sound effects

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
@BattleCattle that's great.

As for xtraFrameBytes sections, I still don't know what they are for. They are needed by client though. I believe they are same for all files with the same NORI version. Probably. I don't think they are sound effects though. That was xtridence. You shouldn't believe the variable names and descriptions to be set in stone. If you think a variable might be doing something else, follow the trail and find out.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
this is my current NRI documentation:
(im using different parameter names, in order to be easier for me to find what im looking for)
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/501782862899707918/655527016581300224/NORI_2F_01_-_12th_10_2019.htm

Edit: the testing will happen probably tomorrow, i have to take it slowly :)

Last edited:
Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
@BattleCattle Thanks, your frame layer data has named vars mine doesn't. You should look at the latest nori format specification though, I've added stuff to the palette and frame sections since you've last looked at it I think.

Btw NriReaderCon.exe stands for Nori Reader Console ;3
Take as long as you like, I took six years to get TNT to its current state lol :)
MMM yup this is really great, now I can define the xfb section.

BattleCattle I need to know what defines the 00 01 variable size, before I can add all this new data to specification.

EDIT (Jan 7,2020):
Yeah actually, a lot of your xfb specs are wrong, there is definitely a sound effect name and perhaps some things to do with mycamp, but I would say xtridence's specification of it is more useful atm.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
@BattleCattle Thanks, your frame layer data has named vars mine doesn't. You should look at the latest nori format specification though, I've added stuff to the palette and frame sections since you've last looked at it I think.
palette: what do you mean by "main section"?
frame: i know about 96 bytes of CD and 6 following groups of bytes, but because i have no idea what it does, i didnt include it

Btw NriReaderCon.exe stands for Nori Reader Console ;3

@BattleCattle I need to know what defines the 00 01 variable size, before I can add all this new data to specification.
i made a list of several mycamp sections:
(first 8 parameters + variable part)

parameter 00 (mycamp flag)
parameter 01 seems to be always 0x00
parameters 02, 03 are related to variable part
parameters 04, 05 seem to be always 0x08
parameters 06, 07 seems to be only for floor objects (not related to the size of variable part)

tiny revamp: :)

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
@BattleCattle
palette: I just gave it a name, it controls all the non-skin non-bg colors on the character. I believe it is related to job change. .pal's in the client say job.

frame: I was referring to the opacity and blend_mode vars

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
palette:
i see
color 111 is where all fashion starts

frame:
opacity: ive never seen anyone changing opacity this way :) and i rather use "?" then a misleading title
(why create opacity parameter, if it would be permanetly set to 100?)
other option is Z-coordinate, but it wasnt proved as well
blend mode: im not good at these things :) i cant tell the difference between BLEND and ADD
yep, i should change it
one more thing about blend mode parameter: its only for maps (i havent seen it anywhere else)
EDIT: there was something about it on Discord:
https://discordapp.com/channels/310090543374008321/310093268325105684/456006689112457226

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
back to creating files:

You can modify or create any non-8bit NORI file you want.

lets say that i have:

1 BMP image and TNT

how do i create brand new NRI file with TNT?

:laugh:

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
@BattleCattle Well, I would probably take a config file that is similar to what I want and modify it to fit with the new data and name. Alternatively, you can make one from scratch. Everything with the create feature is directly linked with the config files. I suppose this isn't obvious to someone who can't understand the code. The skeleton (the config file) must exist before you can flesh out the NORI file.

Keep in mind the xfb section is a binary, the program will just substitute whatever xfb bin file with same nori version as that new file's config designates. If it doesn't exist, it'll crash. Pal section is the same but is named specific to file it was extracted from, but you shouldn't have a pal for 16 or 24 bit image. I don't expect a completely new file to work perfectly in the game though, considering the xfb section and other vars still not fully understood.

Btw, fyi the NORI config has to be named like "nori.nri.cfg" or "nori.bac.cfg" got to have the full name of the file you want to create in the name. People make less mistakes when the program checks stupidity at the front door. Oh and all the attributes in the config files are there just for it to be easier to navigate, the program doesn't use them. (attributes are the stuff that looks like id="#" inside the tags themselves)

Oh and I don't use discord so whatever it says there, you'll have to copy and paste it here if you want me to see it.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
lets suppose im familiar with NRI files
my usual work flow with Hexeditor:
what i have:
Hexeditor
1 BMP image (flipped upside down)
NRI file header template
BMP header template
animation frame template
what i do:
open Hexeditor
copy / paste NRI file header
add 8 zeros
copy / paste BMP header
open BMP image in Hexeditor
copy RGB data and paste it in NRI file
add 8 zeros, animation name, 01 00 00 00 and 8 zeros
copy / paste animation frame
change parameter values
save

quite simple and fast
------------------------------------
if i want to do the same with TNT
what i have:
several .java files
1 BMP image
what i have to do:
download and install Java
compile TNT
spend several years learning Java (to figure out how to use TNT, because there is no tutorial or an example)
find some NRI file and create the .cfg file out of it
modify it
save
create NRI file

looks like its a bit more complicated then working with Hexeditor
i could make some config templates, copy / paste parts of it ... but getting file size, gawi size, animation size ... no, thanks
so far, there is 1 advantage over Hexeditor: i dont have to convert decimal numbers to little endian hexadecimal numbers
---------------
another thing: i wouldnt shorten parameter names too much
dcount, dlen, gsig, xfb, woGawi, noriver
count dracula?, download EN?, .. no river! :D:

can you make TNT a bit more user-friendly? isnt it supposed to be used by others?
why not start with simple things first?
like templates TNT could use (to actually create new files, not modify existing files)
then adding / deleting / replacing images (TNT would compute every "size" parameters)

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
@BattleCattle
1. You only have to "download and install java + compile the program" once. No different than installing your hex editor, once.

2. What do you think the help prompt is? Eye-candy?

3. Can I make TNT a bit more user-friendly? (and everything that followed)
A: For a grand total of 3 RZ users, not a Ducking chance in hell.

You're right, I didn't realize that a hex editor was just as good as my program for making NORI files.
I guess I shouldn't have wasting those 2 weeks of my life and money. Foolish me. :)
Well I'm off to enjoy the holidays, see you in 2020.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
no offence intented, it was only a feedback from 1 user :):

help prompt? no idea what it is

.. then they can't possibly hope to modify NORI files with my program.
Doing so requires both math and deep understanding of the NORI format ..

how do you think we should get deep understanding of the NORI format other then with hexeditor?
therefore everyone who knows something about NORI format knows how to make / edit NRI files with hexeditor
shouldnt TNT offer a bit more?
something like adding all images at once with a single command
compressing images
decompressing compressed BAC files to get uncompressed NRI file
this is something i would really appreciate

enjoy your holidays
:):

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
The 1.5.01 and 1.5.02 release are both horribly broken, I apologize for this.
As such I have removed both from Github. Please use the 1.5.00 until a new release is made.
And I mean release not commit, these bad releases are a result of me not spending the full 30mins I need to test all of TNT's features.

I will be throwing a change or two in of my choosing in the new release in addition to fixing what was already suppose to be fix as an apology for 2 botched releases in a row. Don't bother recommending any, though, I've already chosen. End of info update.

Back