Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Timer's Guide to Running Trickster On LAN (Local/"Offline" Play)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
So a while back someone PMed me asking how to get Trickster running for local play. I told them I would update my tutorial, but since that one is for translation, I decided to make a separate one instead. As I am currently running my server this way due to the disbandment of the team I had (and map move errors...), I figured, "why not?"

Now, for those of you going "this is easy, why not just reply to the PM with it?", keep in mind that I, too, was new at this. I am writing this for people that may want to do this but do not have the know-how.

Note: This guide assumes that you have your server up-and running already. If not, do that first and come back here when you do.

With that said, let's begin!

Step 1: Finding your LAN IP
For those entirely new to this, LAN is short for "local area network". In layman's terms, this is how your computer is identified on a local level, such as a router or an office network.

There are multiple ways of going about this, but this will describe the simplest measure: paying a visit to the command prompt.

On Windows, hold down the start button and press the R key. You should see this window pop up.

RiPL9LI - Timer's Guide to Running Trickster On LAN (Local/"Offline" Play) - RaGEZONE Forums

Not too hard, right?

Then type in "cmd" (without the quotes) and press enter. You should see a new window with a familiar look to it. Make sure to run it as administrator, just to be safe.

tNIlP5y - Timer's Guide to Running Trickster On LAN (Local/"Offline" Play) - RaGEZONE Forums

If your window starts with that title, you're good to continue.

Next, type in "ipconfig" (again, without quotes) and hint enter. What you want is your "IPv4 address".

eUBOsi - Timer's Guide to Running Trickster On LAN (Local/"Offline" Play) - RaGEZONE Forums

If you have more than one IP like I do, the one that's most likely to work is usually the first one listed. If it doesn't, try the others.

Make note of the IP(s), and proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Your LAN IP, Your Server, and You
**Before proceeding, shut down all open server programs!

This next part is simple--replace your old IP with the new LAN IP. But where to put it exactly? Well, a few places. Specifically:

• The following database tables: tbl_parm_server, tbl_world, and tbl_island
  • The LoginServer and both GameServer INIs (under "SystemServer/GameServerURLForClient")
  • And of course, the client, via-hex-editing.

Important note concerning the client: your LAN IP is likely to be shorter than the IP you're using. If you have characters left over, go over to the hexadecimal side (the one on the left) and type in "00" (without quotes, again) until all of the leftover numbers are gone. It'll look like periods, but these are more like spaces than anything. Your client will run just fine.
**If you're using Myshop, edit those IPs as well!

Step 3: Give in a try!

You should be all set to go now! If something crashes or your client can't connect, run through this tutorial again. Remember to leave not one table or old IP unchanged!

Extra: G-OP Users

If you're like me and use the G-OP program from the publicly released Revo GM files (or maybe you got another version?), you're going to need to do an extra step. This is also rather easy, perhaps easier than the tutorial itself

Under "Island (Channel) Definition", replace the IP listed there with your LAN IP. Then, open your server and run G-OP as normal. If you can connect, then you're good to go!

That's that. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Back