Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Connecting to my server

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
My brother and I are looking to play on our own private RF server. I recently got a server setup and is running great. I can host & play at the same time, no issue.

I had my brother download the client files, he updated the RFLauncher.INI to show my IP address, and I updated mine, as well as the WorldInfo.INI.

He is getting the "Connection Failure [E:1]" message when he tries to connect.

Am I missing something? I thought it would be pretty simple, turns out it's not.

I also have ZERO knowledge on any of this material, can anyone please assist?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I have been reading up on somethings, I have a router setup at my home (in 2020 who doesn't),

I may have given my brother the IP address for the router (whatever showed in IPCONFIG when I searched for it using the CMD prompt. I have located my actual IP since then. I wonder if this is why he couldn't connect.

I also want to ask, he (external user/public user) would only have to edit his RFLauncher.INI file correct?Where all would I have to edit anything, or don't I have to?

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I tried adjusting the TCP/IP settings in SQL, that didn’t work either.

I also forgot how those settings were originally, and now I can’t connect to it myself anymore.
I also tried my real IP, instead of my router IP, no luck.
I”m striking out hardcore. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm wondering whether your network has dynamic connections enabled; although this isn't a massive complication but I was wondering whether you guys are connecting under the same internet as well since you'll have matching IP's and all, therefore you should be able to connect via local play.

If not, then where's the server exactly hosted, Is it on a separate machine?

Use IPChicken or whatsmyIP as well to find your exact IP.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I used whatsmyip today, that didn’t work either.

I host and run the client on my own personal PC, I’m trying to get my brother to connect from his home, 30 minutes away. Lots of fails so far lol!

Upvote 0
Reaction score
I used whatsmyip today, that didn’t work either.

I host and run the client on my own personal PC, I’m trying to get my brother to connect from his home, 30 minutes away. Lots of fails so far lol!

that mean you are using public IP,
for your brother to be able to connect to your server you need to configure this:
1. setting port forwarding on your router, set port fort forwarding for port Launcher (80, 8080, 10007), Login Server (10001), zone server (27780), port forwarding setting depend entirely on your router product (it could be called NAT, or port forwarding), call your ISP for help or try yourself
2. set ALL *.ini setting in account, login and zone server to 127.0.0.1 except WorldInfo.ini
3. open WorldInfo.ini and add GateIP = (your public IP from whatismyipaddress.com) so it become:
[System]
GateIP = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
4. set your launcher IP and emulator IP to your public IP from whatismyipaddress.com
5. open your server and restart your apache,

to test whether you could connect or not, open this site :

put your public IP into remote address, and port number 80 and then click check, try next port 8080, 10007, etc
if it says close, then you failed on setting port forwarding setting, if it says open, then you could connect,
note: you have to open the server and the apache before checking your port open, if you didn't open the server application, it will always say closed

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
that mean you are using public IP,
for your brother to be able to connect to your server you need to configure this:
1. setting port forwarding on your router, set port fort forwarding for port Launcher (80, 8080, 10007), Login Server (10001), zone server (27780), port forwarding setting depend entirely on your router product (it could be called NAT, or port forwarding), call your ISP for help or try yourself
2. set ALL *.ini setting in account, login and zone server to 127.0.0.1 except WorldInfo.ini
3. open WorldInfo.ini and add GateIP = (your public IP from whatismyipaddress.com) so it become:
[System]
GateIP = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
4. set your launcher IP and emulator IP to your public IP from whatismyipaddress.com
5. open your server and restart your apache,

to test whether you could connect or not, open this site :

put your public IP into remote address, and port number 80 and then click check, try next port 8080, 10007, etc
if it says close, then you failed on setting port forwarding setting, if it says open, then you could connect,
note: you have to open the server and the apache before checking your port open, if you didn't open the server application, it will always say closed

I will try all of this today, thank you for the direction. I will have to research port forwarding, but you also mention "Apache" and "Emulator IP", I just recently set this server up, what is Apache and Emulator IP?

Upvote 0
Reaction score
I will try all of this today, thank you for the direction. I will have to research port forwarding, but you also mention "Apache" and "Emulator IP", I just recently set this server up, what is Apache and Emulator IP?
I don't know which files your server setup is, and which file your launcher is, since you didn't mention it, but
here apache is web server (or simply appserv)/emulator:
http://forum.ragezone.com/f480/guide-setup-emulator-launcher-version-1037950/
the confusing part is port forwarding, you could try to login to your router 192.168.1.1 (usually) and try to messed up the setting, don't forget to take a note, so you could restore the setting, as long as port forwarding is correct, everything else should be simple, simply forward the port to your LAN IP, for example
your LAN IP is 192.168.1.2 (use ipconfig to check you LAN IP) in port forwarding setting, you had to set port 80,8080, 10007, 10001, 27780 to your LAN IP destination, so everyone who try to open your public IP will be redirected to your LAN PC/your PC

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I am using...

I'm guessing apache and emulator are specific to certain types of servers/clients and may not even apply to me.

If that's the case, I can just focus on port forwarding since I am comfortable with editing the INI files.

Upvote 0
Reaction score
I am using...

I'm guessing apache and emulator are specific to certain types of servers/clients and may not even apply to me.

If that's the case, I can just focus on port forwarding since I am comfortable with editing the INI files.
appserv is used to open RF Online default launcher,
but your link seem to use local launcher, your friend would never be able to connect to your server if the launcher use local IP :lol:
you should change the launcher IP to global IP (ask them how, I didn't use their launcher), or setup appserv and use default launcher (the guide/link I give you) OR you could make your own launcher

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
appserv is used to open RF Online default launcher,
but your link seem to use local launcher, your friend would never be able to connect to your server if the launcher use local IP :lol:
you should change the launcher IP to global IP (ask them how, I didn't use their launcher), or setup appserv and use default launcher (the guide/link I give you) OR you could make your own launcher

So even if I make all of the above changes, he still won't be able to access my server with the current launcher we are using?

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
likerturban,

I tried installing your "1-click setup server" to see how that goes.

I came across 3 errors while doing so, take a look?

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Oh boy, you shouldn't use that file, it's an old server for 32 bit CPU, what you need is port forwarding and a launcher that use global IP

Do you have a newer version that would work on Win 7 x64 bit?

It sounds like you want me to try the other client files I have.

Upvote 0
Reaction score
Do you have a newer version that would work on Win 7 x64 bit?

It sounds like you want me to try the other client files I have.
no, you don't need another client files, only launcher that is used for login, it might be easier if you just ask on rf-dev, because you used their launcher rather than installing emulator/appserv which would make a lot of headache

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
no, you don't need another client files, only launcher that is used for login, it might be easier if you just ask on rf-dev, because you used their launcher rather than installing emulator/appserv which would make a lot of headache

My brother and I really want to play our own server, I was hoping to try out your "1 Click Server Setup", since you could at least help me troubleshoot. You've been extremely helpful so far and very quick to respond, I appreciate that.

I just want to get a server running, where my brother can connect to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back