• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Are you infected? Your PC that is....

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Sorry if the title sounds like spam but....

Two of my PC's were infected with a strange virus.

The first infected PC was just used to surf the internet and download random things like movies or games(not by me though). An essential .dll was infected and the computer was unable to work. It now has to be formatted.

Now it has infected ANOTHER computer(using a router for the computers) and this computer has files with random names. It looks like the names are in webdings or wingdings along with random numbers. I also am unable to delete the file.

Now the big issue here is:

I am running e-Trust antivirus on all of the comps which includes the two infected ones. It's been updated and run but it didn't catch this virus.

If you don't know what e-Trust is...look it up.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I want people to make sure to check your files. I've checked them on the computer I'm on now and am running spyware/anti-virus AGAIN to make sure...

Don't want to format all of my computers because of this crap. If my anti-virus hasn't found out about it then chances are high that yours has no idea about it either.

Also neither of the computers that were infected run any malicious software. The downloads were always from credible sites(even if they weren't entirely legal). But then again who actually buys ALL of the music they have on their computer? :O

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Try AVG, always seems to find a virus for me, sometimes before I even open something that has a virus in it lol

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score

I've got #2....

I haven't been able to find anything except stupid Java infections that are "Secure" according to the antivirus(they don't cause issues anyways).

At first I thought it was that damned Gp encrypt thing but that would be detected....

Reaction score
Move to Hardware / Software someone.

For the first virus, a system restore point or using a repair disk would have saved you by either restoring all the system files to they way they were at the point of the restore, or in the case of the restore disk, re-installing all the system files.

As for the second one with the strange files with random names, i once had that aswell, although i could not find any "virus" as such which was causing any other problems so it kinda led me to believe that they may have just been corrupted files of some sort which didn't copy correctly. to remove (Delete) them, download CreativeElementPowerTools. It has (among many useful ones) a utility which integrates into windows and will let you permanently delete files, including those which windows normally won't let you because they are "in use".

And if your anti-virus isn't picking anything up, boot into safe mode and scan again, you will usually find alot more that way cos many times antivirus cant find and delete them while they are running ; safe mode stops them form booting at startup.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
As for the system restore...I couldn't.

Forgot to mention that a password somehow ended up on the Bios also...

The computer would not do anything when regularly booted and when booted into safe-mode.

If e-Trust catches something that is running with an open error or virus then it will still tell you about it and sometimes get rid of it while it's running.

And the random names didn't appear after a copy. The files are in the folder where photoshop was installed. It was installed quite a few months ago and no copies have been made.

I'll go ahead and boot in safe-mode on this computer and run anti-virus again just to make sure it won't pick something up.

Reaction score
But while they are running, most viruses nowadays make themselves undetectable, that's why you gotta catch em while they aren't running.

As i mentioned, CreativeElementPowerTools will delete those undeletable files if they are still there, so try that.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Stop downloading pr0nz?

Narh, AVG does wonders for me. You should try it instead? Alot of people have clarrified.

Back